Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2023, 17:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: New cars could soon get anti-speeding devices installed from factory

According to media reports, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has suggested that new cars should come with Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) technology as standard. This new tech warns drivers when their vehicle is above the speed limit.

Reports state that the ISA tech will come in two types: Passive and Active. The first type just sends warnings to the driver when driving over the speed limit. These warnings include visual, auditory, or haptic alerts. The second type is more intrusive, which actively makes speeding more difficult but not impossible. There are also said to be other active systems that can entirely prevent the drivers from going over the speed limit, however, specific examples of such systems weren't mentioned by the NTSB.

USA: New cars could soon get anti-speeding devices installed from factory-speedwarning.jpg

NTSB has reportedly asked 17 automakers to install passive ISA technology in their new vehicles. The agency has also advised NHTSA to develop guidelines for states that could help in ISA interlock programs and reduce repeat offenders.

The need for the anti-speeding device arose after NTSB investigated a crash in North Las Vegas in early 2022. The incident was caused by a speeding Dodge Challenger, which ran a red light & entered the intersection at 103 mph. The car reportedly collided with five other vehicles, killing nine people. The agency also reports that in 2021, there were 12,330 speeding-related fatalities in the USA.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 20:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: USA: New cars could soon get anti-speeding devices installed from factory

The passive speed system are already mandory for vehicle in the EU from June last year onwards.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 08:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some additional trivia:

- Cars sold in Japan for the longest time have been factory-limited to 180 kmph. Speedometer maxes out at 180 kmph too.

- At one time, Japanese car makers had a gentleman's agreement to cap the horsepower to 276 BHP. All the EVOs etc you would see had a max on-paper rating of 276 BHP, although many unofficially exceeded that.

- Audi, BMW & Mercedes have a gentleman's agreement to limit their cars to 155 mph / 250 kph.

- Volvo now restricts all its cars to 180 kph.

- The Maruti 800 MPFi 5-speed was perhaps the only car to be able to blaze past its max marking on the speedometer .
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 08:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

What happens to supercars and vehicles that are expected to go on track days? How do you override such systems? Would it work like the Nissan GTR which turns off the limiter when the car's GPS identifies itself on a track?
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 12:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
What happens to supercars and vehicles that are expected to go on track days? How do you override such systems? Would it work like the Nissan GTR which turns off the limiter when the car's GPS identifies itself on a track?
Not sure how it works on all cars. On my Jaguar you need a JLRnOBD analyser that has the capability to switch off the speed limiter. So once you have the right tool, very easy.

I did switch off the speed limiter on my Jaguar too.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 14:16   #6
BHPian

I guess the passive system is basically what is already mandatory in India? A continuous warning chime?
Old 21st November 2023, 14:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
I guess the passive system is basically what is already mandatory in India? A continuous warning chime?
No not really. The passive system will tell you whether you speeding on any road. So if you 34 in a 30 zone it will tell you you are speeding

If you do 76 in a 70 zone it will tell you

If you do 136 in a 130 zone etc.

As far as I know the chime as mandatory in India is for exceeding one fixed speed, max speed on motorways, only.

The next phase is these speedlimteres actually cutting in. So you can’t speed anymore in a 30 km/h zone. Etc.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 10:11   #8
BHPian

Vehicles on public roads have no business going over 180kmph. Overall this is a good move.

I just wish we had something better than the 80/120 beeps here in India. 80 is just too low when the expressway speed limit itself is 100.

It's the above reason I don't trust our government to limit vehicle speeds in India. High likelihood very little thought would be put into it.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 12:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Vehicles on public roads have no business going over 180kmph. Overall this is a good move.

I just wish we had something better than the 80/120 beeps here in India. 80 is just too low when the expressway speed limit itself is 100.

It's the above reason I don't trust our government to limit vehicle speeds in India. High likelihood very little thought would be put into it.
We barely have a concept of a speed limit on many Indian roads, especially rural roads - I guess because it isn't technically possible to speed on many of these roads. This is illustrated in this video where they enquire about the speed limit but no one seems to know. This is becoming a problem in states like Tamil Nadu where the roads are getting better but speed enforcement isn't - unlike neighboring KL & KA!

Even when a speed limit is posted, it can be comically low & arbitrary! Also, there is no concept of limiting the speed in a school zone.
Old 22nd November 2023, 19:43   #10
SSO
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post

Having lived in Germany and spent a lot of time on the autobahn. 180 kph is fine as long as the driving conditions support it.
SSO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks