Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 17:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Ram 1500 EV truck offers "extended" range, thanks to a 3.6-litre V6 generator

The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger was recently unveiled. The EV truck comes with dual electric motors: 250 kW in the front & 238 kW in the rear, paired with a 70.8 kWh battery, giving it a pure-electric range of 145 miles (233 km).

However, unlike other EV trucks with a frunk (front boot), the Ramcharger features a 3.6-litre V6 engine, which switches on when the battery gets low and powers the 130 kW onboard generator to keep the truck's electric motors going. The engine, which on its own produces 174 BHP, doesn't power the drivetrain and is used only to charge the EV's batteries.

New Ram 1500 EV truck offers "extended" range, thanks to a 3.6-litre V6 generator-ram1500ramcharger1.jpg

This means that the Ramcharger can go on really long road trips, without the need for frequent charging stops. The Ramcharger claims to be able to complete 690 miles (1110 km) on a full tank and charge. However, as long as the battery is charged at home, owners never have to visit a fuel station. Having said that, for even longer trips, the Ramcharger can have its batteries replenished at any of the DC fast chargers or Tesla's new Superchargers with the CCS port.

The Ram 1500 Ramcharger is the latest EV truck in the market to take on the Ford F-150 Lightning. While the Ramcharger comes with an IC engine as a generator, Stellantis has also announced a fully electric version, in the form of the Ram 1500 REV - with a massive 229 kWh battery, offering 500 miles (804 km) of range on a single charge.

Source: TheVerge

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 10th November 2023 at 17:13.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 19:48   #2
BHPian

re: New Ram 1500 EV truck offers "extended" range, thanks to a 3.6-litre V6 generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger was recently unveiled. The EV truck comes with dual electric motors: 250 kW in the front & 238 kW in the rear, paired with a 70.8 kWh battery, giving it a pure-electric range of 145 miles (233 km).

[snip]

The Ramcharger claims to be able to complete 690 miles (1110 km) on a full tank and charge.

[snip]
Stellantis has also announced a fully electric version, in the form of the Ram 1500 REV - with a massive 229 kWh battery, offering 500 miles (804 km) of range on a single charge.
What a silly truck and a colossal waste. Let us see

1. ICE generator + EV = 1110 kms with 223 of it fully electric. Which means about 900 odd petrol range.

2. Only EV = 804 kms

Why not a pure ICE of 1110 - 230 = 900 kms and a Pure EV with 800 kms range ? May be some "smart hybrid" level of fraud I guess.
electric_eel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 20:04   #3
BHPian

re: New Ram 1500 EV truck offers "extended" range, thanks to a 3.6-litre V6 generator

The heading is misleading. I request MODS to check it out.

How can it be unlimited when there is a specific number of 1110kms? If it is unlimited then why this 1110km?

Now with respect to the truck itself, a 3.6L V6 engine producing 174bhp (which I am sure can be increased to 250+) is more than enough for any kind of short, long, city or cross country drives. What is the need for the additional 70.8KW battery which unnecessarily increases the weight which in turn drags down the efficiency? Also additional battery increases the cost significantly.

Either an EV or ICE or Hybrid. But this looks like none. I still cannot understand the tech
and company's objective and problem statement. Looks someone woke up out the blue and thought that there aren't enough models/variants just to keep the showroom floor space 100% occupied and came up with idea like this.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 20:53   #4
BHPian

The heading is a clickbait and this vehicle is nothing but a very basic series hybrid vehicle. Technology it is very simple compared to the ones developed by Toyota and Honda which are usually parallel hybrids or series-parallel hybrids. This Ram is just Mehhh
nagr22 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 23:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

So basically they made a less efficient hybrid and their PR team went wild with the headlines.

Worst part is, they are not even the first ones to come up with this. Nissan e-power hybrids also have this setup where the engine does not power the wheels and is used solely to charge the battery. Except it’s way more efficient.

Also this trend of putting massive 100 KWh+ batteries in cars is very bad for the environment. Mining rare earth materials is a harmful process and you’re better off using smaller batteries with more efficient motors to increase range. Imagine a manufacturer putting a 200L fuel tank in a normal car because they can’t figure out how to make an engine that gives more than 1kmpl. It’s just so wasteful.

Last edited by Cresterk : 10th November 2023 at 23:32.
Cresterk is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 23:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Ram 1500 EV truck offers "extended" range, thanks to a 3.6-litre V6 generator

It looks like a different implementation, akin to having a large DG set in the boot to charge that EV battery. I am unaware of the fuel mileage as the engine only charges the batteries.

If it's more efficient, say, fuel used to charge the battery to run 10 Km vs fuel used to run the truck 10 km on the engine, then this can be used by more manufacturers.

In the Hybrid models of Toyota, we see much smaller batteries that work primarily in stop-go or below certain speeds. It's an EV for most daily work, but one can take it anywhere when required. Unlimited here is more of a metaphor.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 00:04   #7
BHPian

Re: New Ram 1500 EV truck offers "extended" range, thanks to a 3.6-litre V6 generator

I like this implementation; it's old-school and cool. It operates much like a Diesel-electric locomotive, with a purely EV drivetrain retaining all the benefits of an EV's tractive force, along with fewer moving parts and transmission losses. It likely incorporates a more efficient combustion cycle too. While it might be heavy and expensive, numerous YouTube videos suggest that an EV truck doesn't truly make sense, especially for towing. Potential owners of this truck will probably tow a lot, making it an excellent work truck in my opinion. While the 'unlimited range' marketing is mostly a gimmick, upon more thought, it's almost justified due to its potentially low downtime.
MotoBlip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 13:08   #8
BHPian

Can it recharge on the fly or need a charging stop...?
Any ways the efficiency will be much less than ICE but the ram being a Go Anywhere SUV can go remote places without fearing for a charging station.

Last edited by E C U : 12th November 2023 at 13:10.
Old 12th November 2023, 17:06   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I would love this kind of car! 233 km means all my city driving will be purely electric. Will need to charge it just once a week. For highway driving, that V6 generator will keep things going.

Again, keep in mind that the petrol engine only provides juice to the EV powertrain. It doesn't drive the wheels. This is similar to what we'd seen in the Chevrolet Volt too.

Plus, it can tow. That matters to some truck owners. This is a great "Big SUV" drivetrain if you ask me, as of today. My only concern is how smooth & refined the entire driving experience is, and how the long-term maintenance pans out. After all, here, you have an ICE car and an EV packed into one. The MRP will also reflect that.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 10:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

My opinion.

RAM has found a way a clever way to addresses multitude of problems. I'm not referring to the Technology which, in itself, has been in use in various guises across industries for several decades.

Most daily driven personal pick-up trucks are driven with 1 person for an avg of 100-150 kms per day hauling nothing but themselves. For them, the pick up bed is a one-in-while usage. Towing is an even rarer scenario. In this circumstance, a pure EV fails for the occasional high power/long distance situation with Range issues. Read up about the F 150 Lightning range issues- It drops 25% range when bed is loaded.

RAM has solved that problem and made the 1500 a pure EV for the most part and ICE + EV for the occasional use case.
I'd say - Brilliant !

Do note- There is a EV only RAM coming up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

If it's more efficient, say, fuel used to charge the battery to run 10 Km vs fuel used to run the truck 10 km on the engine, then this can be used by more manufacturers.
Theoretically yes. The ICE engine would be expected to run at constant load which could be tuned for the most efficient rpm.
now, does one need a V 6 for it? debatable. RAM has plonked what they found handy. A 4 Cylinder unit could do the job too but the American Truck buyer's mindset would not agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would love this kind of car! 233 km means all my city driving will be purely electric. Will need to charge it just once a week. For highway driving, that V6 generator will keep things going.

Again, keep in mind that the petrol engine only provides juice to the EV powertrain. It doesn't drive the wheels. This is similar to what we'd seen in the Chevrolet Volt too.

Plus, it can tow. That matters to some truck owners. This is a great "Big SUV" drivetrain if you ask me, as of today. My only concern is how smooth & refined the entire driving experience is, and how the long-term maintenance pans out. After all, here, you have an ICE car and an EV packed into one. The MRP will also reflect that.
The MRP is surely going to shoot up for 2 reason. The bill of Materials is higher + RAM can price it higher just because they can. Their sales Play book will say- 'An EV with no waiting in line for charging' and thats that.

Truth is that RAM has not invested into styling this truck at all. No tooling costs. Hence, a high margin product for RAM.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 13th November 2023 at 10:33.
14000rpm is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks