Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 17:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars

As per a new study conducted by S&P Global Mobility, with the exception of Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners tend to go back to buying ICE vehicles either as a replacement or second car in their household. Tesla owners are among the few who are known to be fierce in terms of brand loyalty.

The new study states that the main reason EV owners give for switching back to ICE cars is pricing, infrastructure and range anxiety. A few EV owners also mentioned how having an ICE or hybrid vehicle in the garage as a backup just felt better.

S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars-mustangmache_04.jpg

The data in the study was collected this year, through July. It showed that while 37.3% of Ford Mustang Mach-E owners bought another EV, 45.8% of them opted for an ICE vehicle. A major chunk of these buyers is said to have bought either a Ford SUV or truck in both ICE & hybrid powertrains. Similarly, customers of the Bolt EV saw ICE households switch to Chevrolet SUVs and trucks.

As per a consumer survey, S&P Global Mobility also reported that car buyers' consideration for purchasing an EV has fallen from a high of 81% in 2021, to 52% this year.

Tom Libby, Associate Director for Loyalty Solutions & Industry Analysis, S&P Global Mobility, stated, "The OEMs are spending huge amounts of money to develop EVs. So the last thing they want is for an EV owner to go back to ICE."

Source: S&P Global Mobility

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 20th October 2023 at 17:10.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 18:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars

Those is totally believable, most EVs are just overpriced, overweight or converted,the last being the worst. Tesla has ground-up EVs, there might be a few hiccups, but they have appeal.

The car with the longest conversion in the US is the bmw iX, can't think of anyone wanting that over the tesla alternative. The reason why tesla is successful is because, they've got the price, range and charging infra right. It's also got toyota like resale, only better in some cases.
avira_tk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 06:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars

This sort of odd behavior or pattern can only happen in the USA.

I suspect the lack of options being the main culprit. That will change over time.

If BYD, MG were allowed to sell cars in the USA, I can almost guarantee that'll be the end of the RAV4, CR-V club.

EV's have come close to achieving price parity to gas engine vehicles in most parts of the world. For someone in the market for a brand new car, its a hard sell anymore to even consider a gas engine vehicle. Soaring prices for fuel do not help either. While the same will eventually happen to the price of power, its still a long way before it gets as expensive to fuel and maintain a ICE based vehicle.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 07:04   #4
BHPian

This study is based on data for the US car market. The EV market there is more mature, been around for a longer time and that country has a significantly more developed charging infrastructure than India.

Hence it's very limited in its ability to be applied to the Indian car market.

In India, with a less mature EV market and less developed charging infrastructure, it would be interesting to see what the comparable % is (for owners that go back to an ICE car as a replacement or a second option).

Extrapolating the study to India, one would expect it to be higher (i.e. more people go back to ICE).

Last edited by Virtualaman : 21st October 2023 at 07:08.
Virtualaman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 11:21   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

"Except Tesla" why? Because Tesla is the only one that has a smooth, seamless charging experience. Plug-in, fast charge, plug-out.

With the other public charging stations in the USA, the story is much like India. Non-functional chargers, a plethora of apps to download, uncertainty over whether it will charge or not. It's a royal pain - just read about real-life experiences on Reddit.

Unless you have home charging, it is terribly inconvenient to own an EV.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 12:07   #6
Team-BHP Support

My co-sister moved from Tesla to ICE car. But then, the decision has nothing to do with EV disadvantages. It's just that she wanted a car with a different body style/looks/features etc.

So when analyzing this metric, we have to consider the fact that folks can shift from EV to ICE, and perhaps in the future, back to EV again. Similar to how we might buy a diesel car, use it for 6 years and then opt for a petrol car next.
SmartCat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 19:13   #7
BHPian

Tesla's insanely good full self-driving is a big reason, especially in the US. Most of them I know bought it to make their commute pretty much like chauffeur-driven.
gnome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 20:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what @SmartCat said.

This seems to be cherry-picking on the data. Frankly in an advanced car market such as the US, EVs options are being considered on par to ICE cars. And especially if one considers only the luxury segment, these are folks who will anyway be shifting across brands and now EVs are just another set of options to consider with the existing ICE options. Such folks would be shifting from ICE to an EV, EV to EV, EV to ICE and ICE to ICE car(s). There's no solid underlying basis to suggest the shift is due to one particular fuel/engine type.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 10:32   #9
BHPian

I recently moved to the US about two months ago and can say this article is a 100% true.
With all the price cuts and mind-blowing charging infrastructure of the supercharger network, they have really done it right. You can now get a brand new model 3 for less than $29k which is superb VFM because finding a “decent” car under $30k is now a far-fetched dream.
The good thing is that most brands have now signed up to use Teslas NACS and should complete the move by late 2024 or mid 2025
Attached Thumbnails
S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars-img_5352.png  

Old 22nd October 2023, 19:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The car with the longest conversion in the US is the bmw iX, can't think of anyone wanting that over the tesla alternative.
The BMW iX is not a conversion in any way whatsoever. It's a completely bespoke ground up EV on a sophisticated carbon fibre reinforced chassis. It offers significantly superior quality and real world range (50/M60: 345/340 miles at a constant 70mph) than the Tesla alternative, Model X (LR: 310 miles at a constant 70mph). The supercharger network has been the only ace up Tesla's sleeve but not for much longer as it's being opened up to all EVs as we speak.
Old 22nd October 2023, 20:54   #11
BHPian

Owner's Perspective on ICE/Hybrids or EVs

As someone who switched from a 2021 MG ZS EV to a 2023 Honda City e:HEV, I can elaborate on a few advantages and disadvantages of both.

S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars-img_7024.jpeg
  • I absolutely loved the instant torque and relentless acceleration on demand provided by the EV that makes it feel quicker than much more powerful cars.
  • The minimal NVH and serene driving experience offered by an EV is second to none, which also makes the car feel more sophisticated than it is.
  • Even though I had bought the Hybrid as it will be more convenient to use on the highways, I find myself driving within the city 90% of the time. The convenience of never visiting the petrol bunk and charging overnight at home to wake up to a "full tank" everyday for significantly cheaper was a godsend. It was almost as cheap to run on a daily basis as using a government bus.

S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars-img_0713.jpg
  • The Hybrid has been more versatile. There is no anxiety before going on an impromptu long drive. There is no need to check the state of charge and plan the charging en route on the PlugShare app.
  • Long distance highway trips take less time than a relatively low range EV. There is no need to wait longer than your usual break for charging. Especially not double the time I needed to wait if there was another EV charging before me which was the case more often than not.
  • The running cost is also not much different on highways as the charging tariff on public DC chargers is almost 4-5 times compared to charging at home. You barely save a few hundred bucks on the EV depending on the distance.

Notice how most of the advantages I've mentioned are purely on the highway?

What would I buy again? An EV or a Hybrid?

S&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars-img_1655.jpgS&P Global Mobility Study: Except Tesla owners, half of all other EV owners go back to ICE cars-image-221023-8.50-pm.jpg

An ideal garage would of course have both an EV and a Hybrid but if I had to upgrade from the City e:HEV, it would definitely be an EV. A premium long range EV to be precise.

Most of us use our vehicles inside the city most of the time. This is where any EV from a Tiago to an i7 would undoubtedly shine in front of any Hybrid or ICE vehicle. The NVH, convenience and instant torque elevates the experience. The running costs are too good turn down. The guilt free feeling when "idling" with AC on in traffic or while waiting somewhere without breaking the wallet or causing wear to the engine is a boon.

On the highway, EVs with less than 200-300Km highway range at cruising speeds such as a Tiago or Nexon would be a hassle. However with "premium" long range EVs becoming more affordable and charging network expanding rapidly (Zeon has already installed 2 chargers at most of their locations within 6 months of selling my ZS EV), those wouldn't be a problem at all in cars like the BYD Atto 3, Hyundai IONIQ 5 or above which provide 400+ Km range even with constant highway cruising at 100Kmph.

I do not regret my purchase for the time being whatsoever but I urge everyone in the market to consider the advantages of both before making a call especially since range is getting cheaper and charging network is getting bigger as we speak!
Kevinrevvz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 07:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
The BMW iX is not a conversion in any way whatsoever. It's a completely bespoke ground up EV on a sophisticated carbon fibre reinforced chassis. It offers significantly superior quality and real world range (50/M60: 345/340 miles at a constant 70mph) than the Tesla alternative, Model X (LR: 310 miles at a constant 70mph). The supercharger network has been the only ace up Tesla's sleeve but not for much longer as it's being opened up to all EVs as we speak.
Conversion means inventory to actual sale, crazy looks don't sell. It sits on the lot for nearly 4 months on average. Tesla other ace is of not having to deal with a dealer,can't beat that.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 09:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

This one video summarizes it perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unless you have home charging, it is terribly inconvenient to own an EV.
Many Indian families have 1 car as the do-it-all. In that case, unless there is reliable EV charging on highways, people will not move away from their beloved ICE car.
Old 23rd October 2023, 10:08   #14
RMN
BHPian

Also, I believe Tesla has a huge brand loyalty too, like Apple? I can't see too many Tesla owners switching to other brands even if there are equalant or better alternatives.

This, of course is just my opinion based on comments and things I've read on the internet ��

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks