Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 14:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Study: ADAS safety suite could help save more than 8,000 lives per year

According to a new study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, increased adoption and use of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) could help save more than 8,000 lives per year.

The study reports that, between 2021 and 2050 the use of ADAS technology in vehicles can help prevent as many as 2,50,000 deaths, 14 million injuries and 37 million crashes.

Study: ADAS safety suite could help save more than 8,000 lives per year-adas.jpg

AAA partnered up with the University of North Carolina to look into vehicular crashes in the USA between 2017 to 2019 - a time before ADAS was widely available. Presuming the number of crashes has remained consistent over the years, AAA was able to estimate the probability of ADAS preventing a crash from taking place.

ADAS technology comes with a bunch of safety features like automating certain driving tasks, blind spot monitoring, automatic braking during emergencies, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and many more.

These features are expected to provide significant safety benefits. But AAA's own research shows, that currently, they aren't 100% reliable. However, with the widespread integration of ADAS technology in the near future, it could help significantly help drivers avoid crashes.

Source: Automotive News

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 15:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Study: ADAS safety suite could help save more than 8,000 lives per year

ADAS features are truly beneficial, but their effectiveness depends on how well drivers use them. Sadly, in India, some idiots misuse ADAS without proper understanding, assuming it will automatically ensure safety. It's a shame that some people act recklessly. To address this, manufacturers should consider restricting ADAS for those who misuse it. In reality, ADAS can't function properly until everyone adheres to traffic rules and adopts responsible driving practices.
Old 18th August 2023, 20:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
ADAS technology comes with a bunch of safety features like automating certain driving tasks, blind spot monitoring, automatic braking during emergencies, adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist and many more.
All the cars I have owned in the US since 2015 have had ADAS (mainly adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, auto emergency braking, rear traffic cross alert etc. to name a few). Cannot imagine owning one without that anymore in any country with good infrastructure and matured drivers.

In India, we have our 330,000,000 gods looking after us, so no need of anything.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 19:08   #4
BHPian

ADAS is really a life saver, even in its minimal form.

I have rented out a couple of latest iteration rental cars and ADAS is boon and gives peace of mind.

A couple of days ago, I had rented a base model Ford Escape Active from Hertz and during a late night, yet busy highway drive, someone in my lane suddenly braked ahead. While the car in front of me was slowing down fast and I was yet to step on brake, the Automated Emergency Brake in my car detected that there’s a possibility of collision and within milliseconds, the whole digital dashboard flashed bright red and white colour like strobe lights along with warning beeps and before I knew, the car braked and slowed down itself with a good amount of distance still remaining ahead. It’s a different matter that an old generation jeep wrangler following behind me didn’t have ADAS and it had a screeching halt that nearly gave me a cardiac arrest with fear looking at it braking hard my rear view mirror while thinking it might rear end us any second.

Another base model Hyundai Elantra that I rented from Turo had a very effective self steering and lane centring system and also notified me whenever traffic lights turned green or the following car moved ahead.

The Tesla model 3 base model is a different ballgame altogether that is the best standard in industry.

Last edited by sarav100 : 19th August 2023 at 19:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks