Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 16:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

EVs are the reason for the increase in tyre pollution, says new study

According to a new report, electric vehicles produce pollution from rubber tyres.

A report by David Zipper mentions that EVs are one of the main causes of increasing tyre pollution. His reasons are two-fold: First is that EVs are heavier than internal-combustion engines due to the weight of their batteries and second the 'instant power' on offer twists the tyres which increases the rate of deterioration.

EVs are the reason for the increase in tyre pollution, says new study-2019hyundaikona35.jpg

In the report, Zipper mentions that “The smallest tire particles, measured in mere nanometers, can enter our lungs and spread to our organs. Various tire components have been linked to chronic conditions including respiratory problems, kidney damage, neurological damage, and birth defects."

He further adds, “The threat of growing tire pollution is hardly the only societal danger that the auto industry is foisting on the American public through its large and fast EVs. Tires that wear out quicker present other safety hazards: Braking, hydroplaning, and winter traction could get worse."

While the report can be taken with a pinch of salt, it is clear that tyre pollution is a concern, which must be addressed regardless of the type of fuel powering the vehicle.

Source: The Atlantic

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by Omkar : 1st August 2023 at 14:42.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 18:09   #2
BHPian

Re: EVs are the reason for the increase in tyre pollution, says new study

Humans have an uncanny knack of creating pollution in anything and everything they touch.
Kkumar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 18:47   #3
BHPian

I do not doubt that the tyre wear is higher on EVs both due to the extra weight as well as the torque from standstill.

However, to link to diseases, I think we need more data and objective analysis than just a hypotheses. I mean if the issue is really then it's not just about EVs right? We need to solve the problem even for gasoline/diesel vehicles too. So rather than talk about Tyre pollution due to EVs I would say we need to take about Tyre pollution in general. For instance: Are there any standards to measure tyre pollution. If so, do we mandate anything in India.

Also, I wonder if any of the global studies is even valid here. Perhaps we have a totally different environment (like bad roads in some cases) that warrants a new study.

But yes it's good to start understanding the impact and see what we as responsible citizens should do.
deep_bang is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 19:13   #4
BHPian

Its amazing how this was never a problem for current cars. Especially high powered cars.

EVs can actually have 0 wheel spin because you can control an EV motor at 1000s of times a second. Check out the latest videos from cars like the Lucid Air Saphire or Tesla Model S. Cars with 1000Nm+ torque can get off the line with 0 wheelspin.
lina is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 22:23   #5

This is probably another attempt to tarnish the image of EVs. EV motors can be precision controlled and any powerful EV car will have traction control as standard.

As for wheelspin - I highly doubt EV drivers are pressing the pedal fully every time they launch the car.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st July 2023 at 06:16. Reason: Minor formatting and some misplaced uppercase letters.
ICE_Swift is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th July 2023, 23:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_Swift View Post
This is Probably another attempt to tarnish the EVs Image.
EV motors can be precision controlled and any powerful EV car will have Traction Control as Standard.
As for Wheelspin I highly doubt EV drivers are pressing the pedal fully every time they launch the car.
No, I don’t think so. You don’t need to accelerate that hard to have rubber particles coming of the tires.

More importantly, irrespective of acceleration, tire wear occurs as long as the car moves. As EV tends to be a lot heavier than nonEV cars, it stands to reason that even when driving an EV identical to an ICE car tire wear in terms of particles released in our atmosphere is going to be more.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 06:52   #7
BHPian

I don't know about this, this sounds awfully like something that pro-Oil people would spin out to slow down EV adoption.

The only serious concern with increased EV adoption is the increased need for Electricity from clean sources. Right now most countries do not have clean sources for Electricity and this fails the purpose of EVs. Driving an EV for a cleaner future is flawed if the electricity we're charging our EVs come from a traditional power plant which contributes to Pollution.
krsnasgr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 09:45   #8
BHPian

Well well well, somebody in near future will file a case on this basis and get NGT to ban EVs prematurely too.

My bet is on 12.5 years.
batish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 12:20   #9
BHPian

My thoughts about this can't be enunciated within the capacity of English language. Hence, sharing a meme

EVs are the reason for the increase in tyre pollution, says new study-2jkypf.jpg

Last edited by cefiljoseph : 31st July 2023 at 12:21.
cefiljoseph is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 21:36   #10
BHPian

I can anticipate the next research... "Sound Pollution on the rise due to passengers passing gas inside EVs since EVs are silent"
shamanths3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 08:50   #11
BHPian

Quite dubious claims with this article. Sure, a Porsche Taycan is heavier than a 911 of equally tyre grinding performance but no country is buying Taycans by the truckloads. Most of the EV adoption is driven by cheap economy cars which are at max 300-400kg heavier than their petroleum counterparts and are no where near to utilising the instant torque of the electric motors for mad burnouts at every stop. They are quicker but I really don't think they are chewing up their tires quicker than regular cars. For example, the Tiago EV weighs 1235kgs, while the petrol Tiago weighs 935. Tiago EV is easily the highest selling EV in India and no one is burning rubber in one. I'd assume it's similar cars the world over that are doing any significant numbers.
ashwin1224 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 09:14   #12
BHPian

Looks like most folks are missing the real underlying point and problem facing us. Rubber tyre pollution has always been with us. The science is telling us that EVs produce this at a higher rate due to the factors already discussed.

The real problem is the idea that replacing ICE vehicles with EVs will rid us of the pollution issues, instead of focusing on the unsustainability of the current transportation model in India and elsewhere. Unless we create an ecosystem with extensive and reliable public transportation, rideshares, bicycling lanes etc. that disincentivizes private ownership in highly urbanized areas, we'll be stuck with these pollution problems one way or the other, ICE or EV.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion on this forum, but there are plenty of examples around the world that demonstrate the above concepts.
kinetic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 10:44   #13
BHPian

Tyre wear emissions are part of Euro 7 norms I think. And separate tyres for EV's are in advanced stage so I guess this is not entirely new research.
BhayanaV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 12:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

While I don't doubt there's more tyre wear from heavier EVs the point that seems to be missed is the fact that while the BEV model seems best suited to electrifying small ICE city runabouts, manufacturers and consumers (chicken & egg situation I feel) are instead building ever bigger EVs instead. And add to that the kitchen sink approach to fixing range anxiety issues by lumping ever bigger batteries in the things and you end up lugging a bunch of dead weight most of the time.
My main frustration is that the ideal EV scenario would be them constituting the bulk of traffic in urban environments but in vehicles from Tiago size to at most maybe a Dzire size vehicle. Thinking about it, it's phenomenally inefficient for a solitary individual to zip around the city in say a Harrier EV when if we're really taking this line of thinking to it's conclusion, an MG Comet would suffice. Like member @kinetic said above, if we want to be really serious about tackling the carbon footprint of the global transportation model, we need a root and stem rethink of the entire system with a greater emphasis on public transport (obviously a tricky proposition for an enthusiast forum such as this).
I don't entirely blame OEMs for chasing the money in terms of the crossover and SUV craze but I wish they'd take some initiative to build out more low end city runabouts.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thinking about it, it's phenomenally inefficient for a solitary individual to zip around the city in say a Harrier EV when if we're really taking this line of thinking to it's conclusion, an MG Comet would suffice. Like member @kinetic said above, if we want to be really serious about tackling the carbon footprint of the global transportation model, we need a root and stem rethink of the entire system with a greater emphasis on public transport (obviously a tricky proposition for an enthusiast forum such as this).
Its inefficient for an individual to zip around in a Harrier petrol too, when a Alto would suffice. However, there are other considerations due to which people still buy and use the harrier in the city.

We can try to solve the world hunger problem or try to solve some part of a smaller problem. Right now, this thread is about understanding a smaller problem - tyre pollution. Let's do that here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks