Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 14:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

First-gen Toyota 86 owners can officially refurbish their cars to factory condition for $4500

Toyota has launched a new factory program called "86 Refresh Service", which, as the name suggests, offers owners of the Toyota 86 a chance to bring their sports cars back to pristine mechanical condition. Owners of all Toyota 86 models produced between 2012 & 2016 can choose between five courses which will help bring back their old sports car to factory condition, regardless of the mileage and/or number of previous owners.

First-gen Toyota 86 owners can officially refurbish their cars to factory condition for 00-toyota86.jpg

As mentioned, Toyota has split the "86 Refresh Service" into 5 sections: Powertrain, Rubber Mounts, Suspension bush rubber, Shock Absorbers & Brakes. Customers can either choose a specific section individually, a combination of different sections or a complete refresh via all 5 courses.

The engine refresh of the Toyota 86 costs $870 and includes a thorough cleaning of the unit's interiors and replacement parts for the ignition system. Next is the Rubber Mounts, which cost $712 and include adding fresh rubber on the engine, gearbox, differential and muffler. The suspension rubber bush refresh costs $878, while refreshing the shock absorbers and brakes will set you back $1,179 and $903, respectively. For the price, Toyota will replace all four shocks, brake calipers, disc rotors and brake pads. Customers who want the entire package can choose the same for a total of $4,537.

The Refresh Service for the Toyota 86 is currently offered only in Japan via select GR Garage Stores in Tokyo, Osaka, Aichi and Shizuoka.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: First-gen Toyota 86 owners can officially refurbish their cars to factory condition for $4500

Is @Maruti paying attention? I'm here, and there are many others who would gladly pay extra to have our cars restored to their original factory conditions using authentic OEM parts!
Captain Slow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 16:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: First-gen Toyota 86 owners can officially refurbish their cars to factory condition for $4500

Reminds me of another service that they launched last year, of restoring and even retrofitting infotainment and ADAS features on old cars.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...e-updates.html (Toyota's Kinto Factory service allow customers to retain cars via hardware & software updates)

Guess they decided to honour the Toyota badge, instead of disowning the 86 whose Subaru sourced engine has had reliability issues of late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Is @Maruti paying attention? I'm here, and there are many others who would gladly pay extra to have our cars restored to their original factory conditions using authentic OEM parts!
Not officially by Maruti, but guess many MASS readily restore popular old models like 800, Omni, Zen and Alto. Though not of factory quality, with Maruti build quality at the lower end of market and ready availability of cheap parts, one wouldn't be missing much. Used to see banners at local Maruti service centres showing they will restore/rebuild 800/Omni engines for xxx amount.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 16:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

How is this different from ordering OEM parts / getting the work done from the dealer? Given that you are paying for the replacement parts any which ways.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 16:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Used to see banners at local Maruti service centres showing they will restore/rebuild 800/Omni engines for xxx amount.
This is half engine. Maruti sells these and Maruti Suzuki 1.3 litre half engine costs approximately Rs 35000. I have seen similar one's for Alto, 800, Omni too.

Instead of reboring the engine replacing with half engine gives peace of mind as engine work needs to be done by professionals and anything wrong with the work will cost you heavy.
Oppanna is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 02:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post

Instead of reboring the engine replacing with half engine gives peace of mind as engine work needs to be done by professionals and anything wrong with the work will cost you heavy.
If you didn't know, a lot of service centers, not just Maruti, outsource engine work to outside garages. You can trust me on this. It's our family business. Hyundai and Maruti service centers in our city are our customers. And, we do both reboring and half engine, and a lot of other things.

Also, branding service centers as professionals and outside garages as otherwise isn't really accurate. Even in my personal experience (with my previous fiat linea), i have seen garages doing a better job than authorized service centers.

Last edited by Benoit : 19th July 2023 at 02:37.
Benoit is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
If you didn't know, a lot of service centers, not just Maruti, outsource engine work to outside garages. You can trust me on this. It's our family business. Hyundai and Maruti service centers in our city are our customers. And, we do both reboring and half engine, and a lot of other things.

Also, branding service centers as professionals and outside garages as otherwise isn't really accurate. Even in my personal experience (with my previous fiat linea), i have seen garages doing a better job than authorized service centers.
I am aware that ASS also outsources the engine work to 3rd parties and they do not do it themselves. Hence i said instead of reboring replacing the half engine is best bet. You have got my message wrong.

No doubt there are good garages outside but i will still stick to what i mentioned above. Unless you know the garage very well and have enough contacts it is still a risk compared to replacing half engine.
Oppanna is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks