Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 12:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Beetle will not return in EV form, confirms CEO

According to a media report, Volkswagen CEO, Thomas Schafer, has confirmed that the brand has no plans to revive the Beetle as an EV.

While rumours of an EV version of the iconic VW Beetle have been around for a while, Schafer quickly clarified that the Beetle has had its day and it wouldn't make sense to bring it back.

Volkswagen Beetle will not return in EV form, confirms CEO-vwbeetleev.jpg

Thomas Schafer stated, "I wouldn't say with 100 per cent [certainty]. But from where I stand now, I wouldn't consider it." He also added that going forward, the carmaker will have to balance technology and cost while investing money in the best possible place.

Schafer stated that Volkswagen will continue using other popular model names such as Golf, Tiguan and Passat on its future EVs. The Volkswagen ID.Buzz is probably the only nod to the brand's heritage, with no further desire to continue down the retro path.

He stated, “The brand always has to reinvent itself and bring out new things. It's similar to when the Beetle's time was over and the Golf came in. You've got to bring new models, but at the same time optimise existing ones."

Source: Autocar UK

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 29th June 2023 at 12:45.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 12:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Beetle will not return in EV form, confirms CEO

What sense does it make to not bring back the beetle? I have seen people who are not car fanatics, drool over the beetle like anything(including ladies).
Even the compact body dimensions of the beetle make it perfect for the ev platform albeit in a modern form.
meetbhav is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 20:44   #3
BHPian

The only VWs i'd even consider looking at would be the Beetle, Bus and the Arteon. Sadly all are sidelined, including the new bus which got nothing on the real one. VW as a brand isn't even alive to me as it is.
SandyX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 00:35   #4
BHPian

When retro modern is the new trend VW bringing back the Beetle as an EV would have helped revive the little bug.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 06:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Schafer quickly clarified that the Beetle has had its day and it wouldn't make sense to bring it back.

[He also added that going forward, the carmaker will have to balance technology and cost while investing money in the best possible place.

Schafer stated that Volkswagen will continue using other popular model names such as Golf, Tiguan and Passat on its future EVs.
Sorry but this is a plain stupid decision if indeed it is a decision.
The KDF Car was the predecessor of the Beetle. Designed by Dr Porsche to help put Germany back on wheels. It is inextricably intertwined and indelibly imprinted on the whole DNA and ‘Being’ of the VW Brand. Retaining the model name Golf I can appreciate because that is also iconic for the 80’s generations onwards.
But if in their ‘infinite wisdom’ they can retain model names like Passat and Tiguan, they would be ‘infinitely stupid’ to not retain the ‘Beetle’.
The indomitable VW Beetle which has soldiered on for decades, would make for a most wonderful retro inspired Electric or Alternate Fuelled Vehicle.
Much like the Mini E or Min-E (I always preferred the latter option of name for the Electric Mini but the infinitely (un) wise ‘Excellencies’ at BMW Oxford and Munich - clearly thought otherwise’.)

Sometimes I despair that these ‘powers that are’ have absolutely no sense of ‘branding’ ‘history’ and ‘occasion’.
If only they could remove the god forsaken bean counting scales from their eyes!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 01:59   #6
BHPian

I'm a biker, and I don't know much about cars, I barely know the Golf from a Need for Speed game, absolutely don't know what a Tiguan is, and Passat I've heard of, probably their sedan or SUV... this bad my knowledge is.

but, I love the Beetle's design language...
If I was a millionaire, my wife and kids would be using the Beetle.
Its cute, its hypnotic, its loveable, it makes you think good about the driver/ passengers in the car.

I don't know what this VW top honcho means by Beetle having lived its day... as vague as it can get?
What is wrong with Beetle, can he clarify properly, so that we can analyse his judgment?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks