Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 14:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat wants its customers to choose colourful cars; Discontinues popular Grey paint scheme

According to reports, Fiat has decided to stop offering the colour Grey as an option on its cars, allowing customers to choose more colourful alternatives.

The carmaker recently held a campaign wherein Fiat's upcoming fully-electric 600e model was colour-dipped in a huge bucket with the company's CEO sitting behind the wheel. The video campaign, called "Operation No Grey", also had the CEO explaining why Fiat took the decision to stop offering Grey - one of the most popular colour choices among Fiat cars. He stated that the decision to stop offering Grey was despite knowing that it is "an easy sell".

Fiat wants its customers to choose colourful cars; Discontinues popular Grey paint scheme-fiat.jpg

Olivier Francois, CEO of Fiat, stated that he wants the absence of Grey to become "a distinctive feature of Fiat cars". He also wants Fiat to become "the brand of colours", coming from "the land of colour". Francois went on to state that current and future models from the brand will have colour shades inspired by the sea, sun, earth and sky of Italy. The carmaker has already started offering certain examples on some of its models like the 500e, 500 Hybrid, 500X, Panda & Tipo. These new paint schemes are called Gelato White, Sicilia Orange, Paprika Orange, Passione Red, Blu Dipinto di Blu, Italia Blue, Venezia Blue, Rugiada Green, Foresta Green, Rose Gold and Cinema Black - all referencing to Fiat's country of origin, Italy.

One of the first models to not offer a Grey colour scheme will be the upcoming Fiat 600e. The carmaker has announced that the full-electric offering will make its official debut on July 4, 2023. The date has a historic significance as the Fiat 500 originally debuted on July 4, 1957, while its modern iteration was unveiled on the same date in 2007.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 27th June 2023 at 14:34.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Fiat wants its customers to choose colourful cars; Discontinues popular Grey paint scheme

Reminds me of the time I went to buy a dress for my wife in London.

The big brand luxury stores had stuff worth around 1,000 British Pounds, but mostly all in shades of grey (and black and white).

I told the lady who was helping me at the store, that I cannot pick any of these dresses as they are all in grey and that my wife would hate me if I were to bring any of these back. She laughed saying that once back home in Africa, she wore such a dress to a wedding, and her mother chided her for dressing like she came to a funeral.

We definitely need more colour in this world. Good on Fiat for this initiative!
nishsingh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 18:38   #3
BHPian

Re: Fiat wants its customers to choose colourful cars; Discontinues popular Grey paint scheme

Thank you FIAT for listening to my inner voice. When I purchased my Honda WRV, I was very sure not to buy it in White or Silver.
A few days ago I was discussing the same issue with my boss & she replied "I never noticed that the cars are going mostly White or Silver". She asked me 'why is it so'? Then I shown her this video of Nas daily:
Old 28th June 2023, 03:05   #4
BHPian

An early adopter advantage definitely. With more cars turning electric maybe the colour would keep the driver happy..dopamine and all that stuff
Old 28th June 2023, 10:45   #5
BHPian

Can any company in India dare to discontinue White?
akshye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:04   #6
BHPian

While I am all in for giving buyers more choices in terms of colours, I do not get what they are trying to achieve by discontinuing grey.
As a person who wears black shirts/T Shirts 365 days a year, I find it offensive.
This way, they are forcing people to buy colours by stopping a popular choice.
While I am particular about the colour of my clothes, and not about the colour of the cars I drive, I feel there maybe quite a few who want a simple sober colour to avoid standing out and this move to devoid them of the choice is an overkill in my opinion.

Last edited by the.dogfather : 28th June 2023 at 11:05.
Old 28th June 2023, 11:59   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.dogfather View Post
As a person who wears black shirts/T Shirts 365 days a year, I find it offensive.
This way, they are forcing people to buy colours by stopping a popular choice.
Light up, nobody is forcing you to buy a non grey Fiat! There are many things in this world that might be cause for being offensive. The colour of a car, of one particular brand is no such reason in my opinion.

These days just about all cars are grey, black or white. Extremely dull and terrible on my eyes, offensive if you like .

Great move by Fiat. In all honesty all Fiats are nice and quirky cars. They should come in a lively colour. I love the pastel colours on the Fiat 500.

My next car is going to be rainbow coloured!

Bring on the colours!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:04   #8

Why not just give people what they want? If people like grey, black and such...
Old 28th June 2023, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

A cheery, fun ad just like what the marque (should) stand for. We don't want 'serious' Fiats!
Old 28th June 2023, 15:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a simple way to stand out and I think most of us won't complain when it comes to seeing a pop of colour amongst a sea of various shades of grey in a parking lot.

It reminds me of a friend whose car at uni was a knackered old Fiat Punto incidentally. He had it in a banana yellow, which meant it really was unmissable from a distance. What he would cheerfully always recount was that because of his car being such a lurid yellow, his insurance premium was lower than if it was say grey/black/white (ie, his yellow car is less likely to be stolen). I've never actually tested whether this anecdote has truth to it but enough people corroborated this for me to feel like this might actually be true. Unsure how valid it is in India.

I think more car makers that have a history of not just being company cars for travelling execs (mostly looking at the German 3) should leverage that history and lean on poppy colours. There's an abundance of mundane colour choices for those looking to blend in available from other brands anyway.
Old 28th June 2023, 18:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

I liked the advertisement, silver/grey IS tiring to the eyes because there are simply too many cars of that colour on the streets. When we bought our Linea, the grey coloured Punto and Linea kept in the showrooms looked way too boring, same was the case with Chevrolet Beat.

Conversely, I find silver bikes attractive, as there are too many black ones around!
Old 28th June 2023, 23:25   #12
BHPian

This is akin to a café removing espressos from their menu.

“No Sir, we are tired of making the same common drink, you’ll have to go with a macchiato.”
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 23:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
This is akin to a café removing espressos from their menu.

“No Sir, we are tired of making the same common drink, you’ll have to go with a macchiato.”
Yep, great move. if you still want your boring espresso you have to go elsewhere!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 00:15   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid247 View Post
Why not just give people what they want? If people like grey, black and such...
Silver is the second best selling colour in India (after white).

Why don't you ask Mahindra to make the Thar in silver?
Why isn't the Tata Safari available in silver?

Manufacturers have the right to offer whatever colour they want.

And the customer has the right to buy what they want.

Want a grey car, and fiat is not selling it? Go buy a VW/Vauxhall/Seat/Peugeot/Renault

Simple.
Old 29th June 2023, 15:20   #15
BHPian

Instead of creating senseless drama like removing a particular colour, fiat would do well to produce cars with repeatable standards and quality, which look and feel like they came off a modern assembly line and not something half hand made from.the 1950s.
In India atleast Fiat has one of the best colour pallate in the compass and the meridian but hey they dont sell. So Mr. Ceo, your colour scheme is the least of your worries..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks