Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 15:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

2024 Mercedes E-Class LWB revealed via images in China, ahead of upcoming debut

Mercedes-Benz unveiled the new-generation E-Class sedan in the European market just last month. Now, images of the sedan's extended wheelbase variant have been revealed online via a set of images.

2024 Mercedes E-Class LWB revealed via images in China, ahead of upcoming debut-mercedeseclassl1.jpg

The long-wheelbase version of the new-gen E-Class is said to get the "L" moniker. The car carries forward identical styling as the standard wheelbase version, albeit with a few changes to help keep the sedan's design proportional to the increased dimensions. Speaking of which, reports state that the 2024 E-Class L is 143 mm longer than the standard sedan at 5,092 mm, but still shorter than the brand's flagship sedan, the S-Class.

In terms of design, the E-Class L is identical to the standard model. The sedan though, does feature longer rear doors and Maybach-styled thicker C-pillars. Also, apart from the additional legroom and overall space inside, the cabin carries forward all the same tech and comfort features as the standard sedan.

2024 Mercedes E-Class LWB revealed via images in China, ahead of upcoming debut-mercedeseclassl2.jpg

The China-spec Mercedes E-Class L is expected to be offered in two variants: E270 L and E300 L; both powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol unit, producing 201 BHP and 255 BHP, respectively. The E270 L has a top speed of 233 km/h, while the E300 L tops out at 245 km/h.

Reports state that the official debut of the 2024 Mercedes-Benz E-Class L will take place in the coming months in China. The LWB sedan will be produced by Beijing Benz - a joint venture between BAIC and Mercedes.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 11th May 2023 at 15:26.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 20:16   #2
BHPian

Re: 2024 Mercedes E-Class LWB revealed via images in China, ahead of upcoming debut

We should hoard the last gen Mercedes (for eg. W212 and W222) and sell them after 10-15 years at an epic profit because most new ones look eww.

Going to call this one Mercedes Benz Eww-Class
omranga98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 09:09   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2024 Mercedes E-Class LWB revealed via images in China, ahead of upcoming debut

Rear looks tight . The front is alright - better than what BMW & Lexus are churning out - but I prefer the outgoing generation's face. I had similar feelings with the W223 S-Class as well. No doubt they are targeting a younger set of customers with these new, sharper designs.

@ Mercedes: LWB is awesome for chauffeur-driven owners. Please do launch the regular wheelbase variant for self-driving owners. Especially because your new cars handle better than ever before.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Mercedes: LWB is awesome for chauffeur-driven owners. Please do launch the regular wheelbase variant for self-driving owners. Especially because your new cars handle better than ever before.
Cant agree more....! Merc seems to be force fitting the extended version to anyone looking for an E-Class, perhaps because chauffeured market is bigger than the self driving one. As someone who likes to self drive, I prefer a standard E as opposed to an extended version. For this very reason, a 5-Series would be in the list when I look for an upgrade from C.
alabjarus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 12:48   #5
BHPian

Someone close to me is planning on purchasing a current gen 2023 E-class as soon as possible.

Would anyone care to guesstimate by when the 2024 model would start being delivered in India?

Should we wait? Is it a good idea to buy the current generation today, knowing a new model will be coming next year? Or would the date be too far off?

Are the upgrades even worth it? Are they adding anything majorly significant to the new model, that would make it worth holding off on the purchase?
Old 12th May 2023, 13:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please do launch the regular wheelbase variant for self-driving owners. Especially because your new cars handle better than ever before.
Looking at the S classes history in India and the recent 3 series line-up, once these companies taste success with LWB, then there is no going back for them. The only way we will be getting a regular wheelbase variant would be like in the previous generation E class, in the AMG guise only.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Would anyone care to guesstimate by when the 2024 model would start being delivered in India?

Should we wait? Is it a good idea to buy the current generation today, knowing a new model will be coming next year? Or would the date be too far off?

Are the upgrades even worth it? Are they adding anything majorly significant to the new model, that would make it worth holding off on the purchase?
So from what I have heard so far, the plan is to launch the new E-Class in India in the latter half of 2024, so from a time frame point of view, you are already looking at a wait of at least one year and a few months if not more.

Then is the matter of pricing, the new model will certainly command a higher price which is another thing to keep in mind while deciding, and alongside this, another thing to keep in mind is weather the purchase is required immediately.

As you mentioned that they are keen on purchasing as soon as possible, my advice for the moment would be to go ahead with the current generation, as the next generation is too far off in the future.

As regarding the feature upgrades, the main upgrades are the redesigned exteriors and interiors, with the upgraded infotainment and stuff that makes it more technologically advanced and also brings the design theme closer to the new S-Class and C-Class. However with more complexity, it is likely to get obsolete faster, and in future the repairs might cost more, as compared to the current generation which certainly is less of a hassle seen that way.
B747fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 10:26   #8
BHPian

Beautiful car. I like this grille more than the one on present c class. Interior red colour also looks premium. Overall the best car for 1 crore especially that s class has moved to 2 crores.
Old 14th May 2023, 00:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
Cant agree more....! Merc seems to be force fitting the extended version to anyone looking for an E-Class, perhaps because chauffeured market is bigger than the self driving one. As someone who likes to self drive, I prefer a standard E as opposed to an extended version. For this very reason, a 5-Series would be in the list when I look for an upgrade from C.
You should your 5-series now as the next gen one in India will also be a LWB I won’t be surprised if the C class will also end up a lwb version given 3GL’s success. So every proper luxury car will essentially end up rear seat focused and for a good reason. Given our traffic situation and low cost of having a chauffeur, few people who can afford to be driven would drive on a regular basis. Those appealing to drivers would essentially be low volume M and AMG versions only.
Neelavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 15:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Hi,

I have given similar answer previously. I would suggest buying the last model year of the V213 generation.

My reason for giving this recommendation is that the last year models have most issues sorted. Additionally, you might even get good deals with the final year model of the previous generation when the a one comes out.

Furthermore, with a new generation, it’s not possible to tell if it’s a lemon or not. However, with the current generation, we know what we are getting into.

All the best finding your star.
cefiljoseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 18:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The front-end makes this E-class look like a 2018 model year Hyundai Sonata. Not that I have the latest sales trends to review, but I wonder if the E-class is as relevant to the global market as it used to be, with the seismic changes in consumer preferences to SUVs/trucks, the shift to electrification as well as the overall high-quality builds that most vehicles have today that might have leveled the playing field with German vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks