Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2023, 06:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tesla is the most recalled car brand, Mercedes & Toyota least

The average car is expected to be recalled about four times over its life cycle, and the Tesla Model Y is expected to have 62 recalls.

Tesla is the most-recalled brand, with the Y, 3, X, and S occupying 4 of the top 5 slots
Mercedes-Benz leads the least-recalled list, followed closely by Toyota and Lexus
33 Models are projected to experience 1 or fewer recalls over their lifespan
25 Models are projected to experience at least 10 recalls over their lifespan
The Tesla Model Y is projected to have 62 recalls over its lifespan.

Brands including Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, and Toyota show up the least on the list of recalls.
Quote:
Looking through NHTSA’s recall data confirmed a wide spectrum of recall activity between the most and least recalled models. A car like the Lexus NX 300h or Nissan 370Z is projected to have less than one recall over a 30-year lifespan. Conversely, the most recalled cars, including all four Tesla models, a Porsche, and two Volkswagens, are projected to have between 20 and 62 recalls
Tesla is the most recalled car brand, Mercedes & Toyota least-1.png

Tesla is the most recalled car brand, Mercedes & Toyota least-2.png

The 25 most recalled cars are projected to have at least 10 recalls over a 30-year lifespan, with Tesla and Porsche models appearing on the list four times each. Thankfully, Tesla’s ability to enact “over-the-air” updates suggests at least some portion of its recalls won’t involve service center visits. BMW and Jeep make the list three times, while Ford, Lincoln, Ram, and Volkswagen show up twice. Chevrolet and Kia each have one model on the list.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 08:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla is the most recalled car brand, Mercedes & Toyota least

I will take this data positively. A company recalling its product does not necessarily mean that there are lots of problems in their product. It also means that they are actively pursuing quality, irrespective of their branding and marketing strategies.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Those are pretty baffling numbers. For the Tesla and the Porsche that means a recall every 6 months for thirty years? They will have replaced just about everything by then!

I don’t really understand how they put these numbers together. What is the source. More often than not recalls tend to be for specific production series rather a complete model.

With all the cars I have owned I don’t think I have ever had a car recalled, ever!

I had, would you believe it, my previous bicycle recalled though! The steering could lock up!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2023, 11:25   #4
BHPian

When I saw the thread tile I thought it was more about brand recall than about cars being recalled.

But these numbers dont seem to make much sense. You can only measure the recalls that have happened in the past. How do you project recalls in the future?

Also does it include the OTA updates provided by Tesla as a "recall"?
Old 19th April 2023, 12:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I will take this data positively. A company recalling its product does not necessarily mean that there are lots of problems in their product. It also means that they are actively pursuing quality, irrespective of their branding and marketing strategies.
This could be true in India where we do not have strong recall laws, but the same isn't applicable in the EU and the US where the OEM will face huge penalties and lawsuits if the defects come to light in some other manner.
Old 19th April 2023, 13:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
?

Also does it include the OTA updates provided by Tesla as a "recall"?
I don’t know as we have no insights in how they made these calculation.

I do know that Tesla (I.e. Musk) has argued against using the term recall for faults that could be rectified via OTA update.

But a recall is effectively a known defect that needs fixing. Whether you fix it as a software update OTA or whether you need to bring your car into a workshop. The term recall is of course from the historical given that cars are fixed in workshops. But a fault rectified over the air is still a fault in my book

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed