Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2023, 15:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Writing off sedans entirely could be a mistake, says Genesis

As carmakers concentrate on capitalising on the SUV trend around the globe, many have shunned traditional body types like sedans and wagons.

Speaking in an interview, Chief Creative Officer of Hyundai & Genesis, Luc Donckerwolke, stated that brands which are abandoning these traditional body styles will regret it in time. He added that writing off a typology of a vehicle is a mistake and that Genesis will be there to grab the opportunity from those giving up one body style just to sell another.

Writing off sedans entirely could be a mistake, says Genesis-genesisg80.jpg

Donckerwolke confirmed that though the brand recently unveiled its Audi Q8 rival, the GV80 Coupe concept, it will not abandon the other traditional segments anytime soon.

He went on to say that Genesis will continue to make sedans and coupes because while designing, one has to fight for every mm to get the proportions right. From a design perspective, Donckerwolke said that working on SUVs is very easy, and you end up with designers with limited skills as they have only been working on "bricks on wheels". He feels that young designers, many of whom have worked only on SUVs don't know what proportions are.

Currently, Genesis has three sedans globally, G70, G80 and the flagship G90.

Donckerwolke is one of the world's most famous car designers. Having worked at Lamborghini previously, he is responsible for designing iconic cars like the 2001 Diablo VT 6.0, the 2002 Murcielago and the 2004 Gallardo.

Source: CarExpert

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 18:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Writing off sedans entirely could be a mistake, says Genesis

I fully agree. While SUVs are very attractive due to their space and ground clearance advantage, in addition to having a semblance of toughness, sedans are inherently more planted, can offer better rider comfort and are much more graceful.

Also, he makes sense when he says that abandoning a segment altogether is not wise (unless its Mahindra as they really are an SUV company and failed miserable while making non-SUV cars).
cityslicker86 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 19:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yup I believe one day Sedans will be like horses to the rich folk who will keep a SUV for grocery shopping and a fast sedan for that weekend fun. This way sedans will exist but like a luxury item while the mundane SUV will be the daily drives.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 20:10   #4
BHPian

If I lived in any other part of the world, I would pick a sedan over an SUV any day of the week. Way more comfortable and well planted on roads. Also the Cabin cools a lot quicker due to smaller volume and most sedans have actually more usable boot space than SUVs. Unfortunately, I live in Kerala and the roads here are horrible except for the roads maintained by the NHAI. This is the sole reason I am still hanging onto my 2009 city. Any of the sedans worth buying in todays market cost above 15 lacs otr and don't seem practical on these crappy roads. Looking at SUVs, any proper jeep that can comfortably seat 5 is pushing the 20-25 lac range minimum. That is too much money for a person of my financial background to be spending on, that may have to be scrapped in 15 years with the governments ever tightening emission norms. Guess I'm stuck with the city and alto for now
windrider is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 20:20   #5
BHPian

He's right. Designing a sedan needs proper skills. Sedan's have the unmatched aura of class if designed proportionately.
Asish_VK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 20:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, sedans will be looked at as station wagons in India soon. They have no future. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a sedan fan. It's as simple as that. Nos. don't lie.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 11:37   #7
VVN
BHPian

I am glad that Sedans will continue. I believe that car body type preference is cyclic and sedans will make a comeback 5-8 years down the line. While sedans may not be practical on our roads for now, I must say that it looks quite classy on road full of tall hatchbacks. I will inevitably go for a tall hatch or an SUV like Thar or Wrangler in the future but will always have at least one sedan in the garage.
VVN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 15:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
If I lived in any other part of the world, I would pick a sedan over an SUV any day of the week. Way more comfortable and well planted on roads. Also the Cabin cools a lot quicker due to smaller volume and most sedans have actually more usable boot space than SUVs. Unfortunately, I live in Kerala and the roads here are horrible except for the roads maintained by the NHAI. This is the sole reason I am still hanging onto my 2009 city. Any of the sedans worth buying in todays market cost above 15 lacs otr and don't seem practical on these crappy roads. Looking at SUVs, any proper jeep that can comfortably seat 5 is pushing the 20-25 lac range minimum. That is too much money for a person of my financial background to be spending on, that may have to be scrapped in 15 years with the governments ever tightening emission norms. Guess I'm stuck with the city and alto for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
On the contrary, sedans will be looked at as station wagons in India soon. They have no future. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a sedan fan. It's as simple as that. Nos. don't lie.
What really has changed ? I think Indian roads, however bad they are currently is still better than what it was a few years ago. So why has Indian customers suddenly rejecting sedans.

I have a different theory (not any scientific one). We were and are a hatch back country when it comes to cars. It is just that the current hatch backs are called SUVs ;-)
Old 10th April 2023, 18:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I have a different theory (not any scientific one). We were and are a hatch back country when it comes to cars. It is just that the current hatch backs are called SUVs ;-)
My take on this is that consumers even earlier were wanting SUVish design and practicality, but then, SUV's were fuel guzzlers. Currently, most SUVish cars have almost the same hatchback efficiency; hence, people are buying in droves.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th April 2023 at 17:41. Reason: Typo, grammar, etc
abhiijithbhatn is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks