Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 14:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

General Motors will phase out Apple CarPlay & Android Auto from its EVs by year-end

According to media reports, General Motors has announced that it will be phasing out Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity features from its electric vehicles soon. The 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV, scheduled to launch by this year's end will be the first model not to get the connectivity feature.

The carmaker, however, did confirm that the functionality of the connectivity feature on current EVs and ICE-powered models will continue unaffected.

General Motors will phase out Apple CarPlay & Android Auto from its EVs by year-end-chevyinteriors.jpg

Reports state that the reason for the change is that GM's future advanced driver-assist systems and complex vehicle displays will be better integrated via an in-house software, allowing for more advanced navigation functions that can find Super Cruise / Ultra Cruise capable routes or locate charging stations. Also, the in-house software developed will be more easily upgradeable with the ability to add new features either directly from the automaker or from third-party companies.

Edward Krummer, Chief Digital officer at GM, stated that with the in-house software, the company would be able to constantly add in-vehicle technologies and make over-the-air updates, which in turn improve the customer experience.

General Motors also confirmed that the loss of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay would apply only to electric vehicles initially. ICE-powered GM vehicles will continue to offer the connectivity feature at least for now. The company also confirmed that its EVs would continue to get wireless Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calling, messages and music.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 2nd April 2023 at 14:37.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 14:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: General Motors will phase out Apple CarPlay & Android Auto from its EVs by year-end

Makes sense. There is no need for the phone's screen and apps to be cast to the infotainment. It just uses up phone's battery. Bluetooth is all one needs. If the infotainment has a decent OS with sim card connectivity, where all the must have apps can be installed, that is the best solution.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 15:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: General Motors will phase out Apple CarPlay & Android Auto from its EVs by year-end

So are we getting Chevrolet maps instead of Google maps? What about GM music?

I like smartphone integration because no matter which car I am driving, I have all the essentials like Google maps with my preferred destinations , Google assistant who knows who is my Wife and Daughter if I'm to make a call, Music player that knows what I listen to etc.

The only reason for GM to do this is making money out of more subscriptions like navigation and music.
Kosfactor is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 17:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
So are we getting Chevrolet maps instead of Google maps? What about GM music?
I don't think so. The infotainment will be an Android Open Source based one with its own app store. So all your regular apps will run there too. Just that they will stop depending on the user's smartphone to be the car's OS. Subscriptions will of course be there. Having the core functions of a car completely dependent on the user's smartphone is not a great idea. And GM is doing it in collaboration with Google.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/busi...-googles-help/

This is the same approach BMW is also taking. Developing their own OS on top of Android and creating their own tightly controlled app store so that you get the best of both worlds. If at all this is a problem to anyone, it is Apple.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd April 2023 at 17:51.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:33   #5
BHPian

I think this move is not in the best of interests of the customer.
The ideal way should have been AndroidAuto/Carplay *in addtion to* their own OS.

We know what happens few years down the road. They would be launching a new version of the embedded OS, which will only be compatible with the latest model of the car. Probably it won't support the SIM anymore and you will be stuck with the maps from years ago. Not to say subscription charges, which you might not be willing to pay.

In case it supports AndroidAuto/Carplay, you can still use the functionality long after the carmaker stopped supporting the OS.
dutta_d1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 12:06   #6
BHPian

There were reports that the automakers were already having trouble supporting AA or Carplay in their vehicles as the support from Apple/Google or the phone makers is only for 3 to 5 years whereas the Automakers need to support every car for its lifetime which could be at minimum 15 years.
As long as Bluetooth connectivity is available and phone calls / music can be played easily, there should be no issue to use the phones in the cars. If navigation is essential from the phones, then I suppose a phone holder would be required to view the phone easily. Not a great solution but its workable.
Old 5th April 2023, 12:10   #7
BHPian

Apple will lose a lot with this approach. GM will still use Android as its base OS. If Apple wants to do something similar, it will have to cede control for lot of things to the car makers on such platform. They might not agree to such thing.
Old 5th April 2023, 14:20   #8
BHPian

I don't like the approach GM is taking. Here is why:

1. Another environment to setup besides my smart phone, smart TV, smart speaker, etc and expecting my data and apps to work seamlessly across them all isn't going to happen. Try integrating Philips WIZ with Google Home. First integration is easy but if you add a new home or change settings, getting them updated under Google Home or any other 3rd party apps is a nightmare. I expect the same to hold true with GMs smart car system. Changing my Gmail password would then require one additional environment to be updated.

2. App user experience. It is debatable, but I like using Spotify on Android more than on my iPhone. In a smart car system, the user experience would at least be different if not poor.

3. As already mentioned, this could end up as a subscription-based model. I am fairly confident a smart car system would provide functionality at par to a smart phone. Basically, higher monthly expenditure with no additional return. Even an additional SIM card, if they don’t provide eSIM profile copying capability like a Samsung watch. And if they do provide this feature, read my next point.

4. Data privacy, monitoring and everything else to do with data. I have a car or two which came with slow and poorly designed in-car applications that can be used to setup office mails, documents, etc.

Now with a more robust setup, such as the one GM is touting, I am certain it would require my email address and other info to provide a customized experience. Like you have to do with an Android TV. I’ll probably have to add my Gmail (since its Android-based) and when I start using the in-built apps, it would have records of locations visited from Google Maps, Emails (if i decide to configure it), SMSs received through the phone including bank balances, call records, and other boatload of data from in-built smart Apps. Even with security measures in place, I wouldn't be comfortable letting my driver take the car out, a valet or if it gets stolen. At the moment, when I disconnect my phone from the car, all personal information disappears. That’s because Android Auto and Apple CarPlay do not store information in the car’s entertainment system.

GM may find a way to identify the driver and associate it with the personal information stored in the car's smart system but that opens up another can of worms.

‘The End’ of my Wednesday morning rant! ��

What do you guys think?

Last edited by exhaustpipe : 5th April 2023 at 14:31.
exhaustpipe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 18:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
I don't like the approach GM is taking. Here is why:

4. Data privacy, monitoring and everything else to do with data. I have a car or two which came with slow and poorly designed in-car applications that can be used to setup office mails, documents, etc.
GM may find a way to identify the driver and associate it with the personal information stored in the car's smart system but that opens up another can of worms.

What do you guys think?
I don't like this one bit, I am wary of any "connected car" feature, I do not want telemetry data from my car to be transmitted anywhere without my express permission. I would prefer to just load my maps and music on my phone. I understand that the phones also leak information but at least we are aware of it and know how to block the sharing of the data.
In a vehicle, where most people would be unaware of the data sharing aspects, it would quickly become a privacy nightmare. If anyone remembers that Ola scooter accident, Ola was able to access all the driving details of the vehicle and shared it all without any regard to the privacy of the owner.
I will still prefer a bluetooth or cable connection to the ICE system that will allow me to play music and answer phone calls from the car.
Old 5th April 2023, 23:25   #10
BHPian

I feel they want to add their own app and add a subscription charge for its usage.
That’s why it’s EV only at this point as EVs are at an evolutionary stage.

Even they are saying it’s not for ICE, in the future we can expect this on ICE as well based market acceptance.
Old 9th April 2023, 23:01   #11
BHPian

Screw it! If this is the future, I am happy to invest in Rs.300 Mobile phone holder & stick it on the corner of my windshield. As long as Bluetooth works I am good (handsfree calling with Google assistant + car speakers for songs). For my passengers any tablet + Hotstop + earphone = problem solved. As long as the car is good these petty convenience features should not bother me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks