Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2023, 10:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Others are killing small cars, but the Hyundai i10, i20 & i30 will continue

According to media reports, Hyundai will continue to offer small city cars & hatchbacks in their lineup.

Hyundai Europe Chief Michael Cole recently confirmed that the brand is committed to the market and is already working on the next-generation iterations of its small cars, including the i10, i20 and i30 models.

Others are killing small cars, but the Hyundai i10, i20 & i30 will continue-i20.jpg

Hyundai feels there is a market below the Kona in the form of traditional hatchbacks. Cole added that the brand doesn't want to move away from the i10, i20 and i30 customer groups. However, with the industry moving towards electrification, the future of the hatchbacks is yet to be decided.

Cole personally feels small hatchbacks could be made affordable via monthly payments and subscription-type scenarios, although a corporate decision is yet to be made. He adds that smaller EVs would go onto subscriptions, keeping them in the programme for 5 to 7 years.

Source: Autocar UK

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 11:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Others are killing small cars, but the Hyundai i10, i20 & i30 will continue

Small hatchbacks are still very popular in Australia, and I am sure it will be the same in other markets outside the North American continent. Absence of these reliable, affordable hatchbacks will push the entry cost of buying a new car much higher.
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 14:46   #3
BHPian

That's good news, especially in light of several small cars being discontinued. I certainly don't want the whole world to swear by SUVs and SUVs only.

On a lighter note, I think Hyundai will use this opportunity to introduce 360 degree lights on the next generation i20.
Old 8th March 2023, 15:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Small cars have their own niche buyers who all usually make their entry into the four wheeled segment. Or else small cars are desired as a second, third or "n th" car at homes. These usually cater to the ladies or youngsters or seniors and are also used for errands.

Not only Hyundai but Maruti and Tata (Nissan too to some extent) too keep this small car segment alive and kicking with periodic new launches and refreshed versions too.

The ones who are quitting this segment are the Western car makers who are still trying to establish their identities after more than a decade or more in our market. They sometimes banked on sedans, sometimes on hatches and sometimes on SUV's. Let's hope they soon establish their still ambiguous identities. Two have already quit leaving their buyers in the lurch.

And about the Chinese, they prefer the Rs 20 L plus segment from Day one believing that all the money and action is right here. Our Mahindra too prefers the Rs 20 L plus segment.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th March 2023 at 15:50.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thankfully for folks like me who would need a single do it all car which is fuss free to drive in our crowded T2 cities and maintain, the options have always been from Maruti and Hyundai with Tata earning its place since the Tiago days.

VW has walked away from the segment with Ford and GM/Chevrolet exiting altogether. This segment works on reliability and trust and that takes decades of steadfast effort. If anyone considers Maruti as a legacy provider then just look at Hyundai or Tata and how they made their mark. Each is an interesting story on its own.

Glad to see Hyundai continuing its commitment despite being the greatest beneficiary of the "SUV wave" and that's a lesson for everyone to take home.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 09:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Global A-B segment sales, many markets are not going to survive!

The transition from pure internal combustion engine power to all-electric power is a measuring moment for the automotive industry around the world due to its impact on different product supply costs, production belts, parts manufacturers, usage patterns, and after-sales service.

A key factor in the transition to the era of electric power is the cost of batteries that cannot be significantly reduced. Despite the technological leap and the creation of products that are more efficient than the previous generation, automotive manufacturers today are targeting cars with sales prices high enough to overcome the rising costs of today's internal combustion engine vehicles, namely SUVs and luxury sedans.

Leaving small cars with price constraints is the main challenge for automakers who want to make changes to the A-B segment, especially European and American automakers who are more restrictive than those from the land of dragons. It is not wise and prudent with the plan to develop a small car that is powered entirely by electricity.

If we consider the direction of sales and market possibilities of the A-B segment, it will be found that the power of internal combustion engines still plays a key role in driving sales of this group of cars.

But considering the prevalence of pure electric power in such segments, the Chinese market has the best response as there are more than 34 small EV models to choose from, more than 18 in Europe. While the U.S. only has two models to choose from, the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Mini Electric, it underscores the cheaper cost of building EVs for Chinese automakers. After receiving support from the government, the selling price of Chinese compact cars is lower than those of the same size produced by other companies.
However, the main markets of small cars in the world population are India, South America, Eurasia. Japan and South Korea, where group car sales account for 40% or more market share. Meanwhile, the Southeast Asian market is only less than 30% and vice versa.

In addition, the price difference of A-B segment cars from China compared to conventional car brands is more than 42%, making it even more competitive in this segment. Difficult to grow Automakers from all over the world are looking for solutions to this group of cars, and it is possible to move their production bases to countries with lower costs or give up on them in the future.

Others are killing small cars, but the Hyundai i10, i20 & i30 will continue-future_of_ab_segment_cars_02.jpg

Others are killing small cars, but the Hyundai i10, i20 & i30 will continue-future_of_ab_segment_cars_03.jpg

Others are killing small cars, but the Hyundai i10, i20 & i30 will continue-future_of_ab_segment_cars_04.jpg

Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks