Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2023, 16:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine

Toyota showcased a small concept in mid-December 2021 as a small sports EV. While no details of the sports car were revealed, however, speculations soon started that the Japanese brand could be working on a successor to its MR2. The concept car featured large air ducts, short overhangs, plenty of carbon fibre and reportedly a removable Targa top as well.

Now, according to new reports, Toyota is still said to be considering bringing the small sports car to the market. Reports state that rumours of a small sports car being developed jointly by Toyota, Suzuki and Daihatsu from a couple of years ago is still under development.

Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-toyotasportscar.jpg

Reports go on to state that the small Toyota sports car will be powered by a 1.0-litre three-cylinder turbocharged engine, producing around 120 BHP and 200 Nm. The sports car will also come with a mild-hybrid setup to provide a small boost, while also improving fuel efficiency. The small sports car will tip the scales at just 1000 kg while measuring 4,200 mm in length, 1,720 mm in width and 1,220 mm in height. It has a wheelbase of 2,550 mm.

The new small sports car from Toyota will borrow its front suspension setup from the current-gen Yaris, while taking design cues from the Daihatsu Copen. The sports car will get a strict two-seater configuration only.

Toyota could price the small sports car competitively between US $16,500 - $21,000. No details of its launch timeline have been revealed yet though.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 16:50   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
re: Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine

How is this a sports car with a 120hp / 200 NM setup, nomenclature is fancy but I believe the on road product will be a Polo GT competitor.

From the Indian market context people are moving away from the entry segment (B2 / C1 / C2) are the fasting growing segment. Entry level is boring even Hyundai had to pull plugh on EON / Santro.

It would be interesting it they can come up with a punchy small car 3.5/6 m, 3 door (2/4 seater) and sporty look. It will be like what Jimny / Polo GT / Thar offers in their respective segments. A lot of families in India have starting owning second cars and there is a segment which is willing experiment
Asoon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 19:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
How is this a sports car with a 120hp / 200 NM setup, nomenclature is fancy but I believe the on road product will be a Polo GT competitor.
You need to understand that this is not a car meant for India. I believe this is meant to be competition to the Abarth 124 Spider and the Mazda MX-5. There is a whole segment in the USA for these small, light and low RWD sports cars. They're basically for people who value driving dynamics and handling over raw power.
DFendyr is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 19:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
From the Indian market context people are moving away from the entry segment (B2 / C1 / C2) are the fasting growing segment. Entry level is boring even Hyundai had to pull plugh on EON / Santro.

It would be interesting it they can come up with a punchy small car 3.5/6 m, 3 door (2/4 seater) and sporty look. It will be like what Jimny / Polo GT / Thar offers in their respective segments. A lot of families in India have starting owning second cars and there is a segment which is willing experiment
I don't think it will be launched in India. I think it is meant for the European, Japanese and American markets. Doesn't make sense for the Indian car market, just look at the fate of Polo GTI, Octavia RS etc. Even the 530d or 340i sell way less than the lower-powered variants.
YD14 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 07:09   #5
BANNED

Suzuki earlier had another small sports car called the Capuccino.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-439d8ae86f7f46d58e58edefcfe5470c.jpeg  

Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-6ba0c395f85c48aeba2ee49eef1d4d1e.jpeg  

EV NXT is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 08:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFendyr View Post
You need to understand that this is not a car meant for India. I believe this is meant to be competition to the Abarth 124 Spider and the Mazda MX-5. There is a whole segment in the USA for these small, light and low RWD sports cars. They're basically for people who value driving dynamics and handling over raw power.
Also, what might be the upper limit of 1.0 tsi like engines? Post tuning, might be quite high and then good enough for a road legal sports car in developed countries.
Old 20th February 2023, 09:22   #7
BHPian

I feel, there is always a market for small sports cars. How many of us Mod our cars to look like sports cars. A small, high revving, corner craving, low seat car (If possible, 4 seater) is very similar to our own R15

Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-screenshot-20230220-9.19.00-am.png
This bike is a perfect example of a cheap sports bike. High revving, slick shifting, aggressive seated bike, which gives a cool 45Kmpl, and can be used as a daily commute. You can hardly tour on this bike, or ride even short distance with a pilion. How many do we see on our roads. (I fell in love with it after riding my Friend's and bought one, and I still use it for everything)
vinya_jag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 10:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFendyr View Post
Both of the cars mentioned make 170-180hp if I remember correctly. I think giving it atleast 150hp would make it a decent competitor considering the low weight.

Toyota has a reputation for making underpowered but well handling sports cars for the segment though considering the gt86. I think this might also sell well in India considering no one has brought a well priced 2 seater to the country.
Old 20th February 2023, 11:54   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine

Quote:
Title changed to "sporty" car instead of sports car .

I'm a big fan of small, sporty & affordable. 500 - 600 BHP sounds awesome, but there is nowhere in India where you could use that power. Max you can redline on a public road is 1st, and you'll run out of tarmac in 2nd. Instead, give me a small, sporty, relatively affordable car that is quick enough to make you giggle, handles well on my favourite mountain roads, isn't so powerful that it becomes intimidating and one I can actually redline in 3rd gear.

I similarly prefer smaller capacity bikes for India compared to the liter-motorcycles. My best memories are on a Mod's ZZR400.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
quick enough to make you giggle, handles well on my favourite mountain roads, isn't so powerful that it becomes intimidating and one I can actually redline in 3rd gear.
Driving a slower, less powerful car to the redline makes one think one is going real fast! And its fun fun fun.

I re-discovered the joy of this in my little soft top gypsy in the hills last month.

Naturally aspirated.
Small engine.
Lightweight.
Mechanical

More than enough power to go up and down those hills and enjoy every moment.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th February 2023 at 12:30.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 12:45   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Driving a slower, less powerful car to the redline makes one think one is going real fast! And its fun fun fun.
As a wise petrolhead once said, I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 14:34   #12
BHPian

Toyota-Suzuki bringing this car is a very good market positioning, as in EU and US markets there is no affordable lightweight sports car which has a mid engine RWD layout. Only we have Front engined RWD options like MX-5, GT86 etc. Honda has an S660 which is a lightweight mid-engine RWD, but it is only sold in Japan. One has to spend upwards of 60000USD / EUR to get into a lightweight mid engine RWD car like an Alpine A110. Caymans/Boxsters are way too heavy to call them lightweight. As much as I dislike Toyota's for not pushing EV boundaries, this is a good move.

Quote:
Sorry. Disagree your comparison with Polo GT. There is a world of difference when you sit and drive in this about to be launched car than a polo GT.

What makes the difference?

- You sit close to the ground, much closer than in a polo. This gives you a sense of driving faster for the same speed you do on a polo.
- You will get an independent suspension in the rear, unlike a polo's torsion beam suspension. This helps keeping all the wheels on the ground when you are cornering hard. This is important for the feeling of grip, which gives you confidence to take corners faster than in a polo.
- Since this being a successor to Toyota MR2 (Mid-ship Run-about 2-seater), which means you wil get a mid engine rear wheel drive layout like the erstwhile MR2. So the rear wheels drive and the front wheels steer, unlike a polo where the front wheels do everything. Jack of all trades but master of none.
- Low seating position = Lower car = Lower CoG than polo. Keeps the balanced in corners. Less body roll and pitch.
- Lightweight. Agile and faster in changing directions, accelerating and braking.
- You will get 20% better power-to-weight ratio than a polo GT.

Given all this, I would suggest, if you get a chance to drive any of the following, please do so. Then your world of sports car will have a new definition :

- Mazda MX-5
- Toyota MR2
- Toyota GT86 / SubaruBRZ

Quote:
Title changed to "sporty" car instead of sports car .
This always a tricky thing. Even wiki mentions that auto enthusiasts are all divided in naming the class when it comes to sports cars.

Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-screenshot-20230220-100038.png

Last edited by carthick1000 : 20th February 2023 at 15:04.
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 16:05   #13
BANNED

Quote:
As a wise petrolhead once said, I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
And if you are in one of faster ones you have a lack of privacy, cameras following you all around, lack of practicality and Maruti’s that are desperate to overtake you…
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-15017d4dffd445baaa740c4929602fba.jpeg  

EV NXT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 16:47   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The rumored 'sporty car' to get Suzuki’s 1.0-litre turbo-petrol engine. It is expected to be a successor to Toyota’s MR2.

Ref pic only.
Toyota and Suzuki small sporty car coming with 1.0-litre engine-suzukivisiongranturismomain.jpg

Quote:
Toyota, Suzuki, Daihatsu sportscar to weigh around 1,000kg
It will rival Mazda MX-5
- Japanese carmaker trio will be based on Toyota’s TNGA (Toyota New Global Architecture) platform. However, the platform will be developed especially for the upcoming sportscar and will have the front suspension from the Yaris’ GA-B platform for small cars.

-The sportscar is also expected to have a mild-hybrid set-up that will provide a boost of 5hp and help increase fuel efficiency.

- The engine will likely be mated to either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

- Report suggest that it will likely take design inspiration from the Toyota Sports EV concept. Furthermore, it is also expected to have design influence from the S-FR concept from 2015.

- The upcoming sportscar is expected to be priced between JPY 2.2 million-2.5 million (approximately Rs 13.51 lakh-Rs 15.36 lakh)

Link

Link (Rumour: Suzuki to revive its sporty car, the Cappuccino)

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th February 2023 at 16:53.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2023, 19:09   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Maruti’s that are desperate to overtake you…
Someone once asked Sanjay Dutt why he sold his Harley-Davidson (or some big bike in the 90s). He said he couldn't ride it peacefully. Wherever he went, RX100s, Splendours & Shoguns wanted to race him. He said he simply couldn't go on a peaceful cruise around the city.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks