Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 08:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazon cancels Grand Tour - Clarkson at it again

The Grand Tour ending as Clarkson faces backlash:

Amazon Prime Video is allegedly parting ways with the former Top Gear host following a recent controversy.

Quote:
Amazon Prime Video is allegedly parting ways with "The Grand Tour" – the automotive show hosted by former Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond. This follows Clarkson's controversial comments on Meghan Markle in December, for which he has already issued a public apology.
Amazon Prime Video will not be working with Clarkson anymore after "The Grand Tour" and "Clarkson's Farm" episodes that have already been commissioned. The former is expected to end in late 2024 after four more special episodes, while the latter is reportedly bound to conclude with season 3, which will be coming out also in 2024.

A press conference scheduled on Monday, January 16, 2023, which was meant to promote season 2 of Clarkson's Farm, was canceled.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th January 2023 at 09:16.
volkman10 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 10:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Amazon Prime Video will not be working with Clarkson anymore after "The Grand Tour" and "Clarkson's Farm" episodes that have already been commissioned.
So, after BBC and Amazon, Clarkson is now yet to scare Netflix, Disney, HBO, NBC and the rest.

Quote:
The former is expected to end in late 2024 after four more special episodes, while the latter is reportedly bound to conclude with season 3, which will be coming out also in 2024.
These four more for Grand Tour - do they come under those already commissioned? If not, watching it for just Hammond and May will be misery - considering how the show / these specials / these three have been on a significant decline in the recent past.

Everyone's watching the GT just for the legacy these three carry - afresh, it wouldn't get a fraction of the viewership it still managed.

Ultimately, I think it is about time we call curtains on this concept - there has been nothing new since a long time, while Clarkson still manages to humour you, Hammond and May are a bore to watch, and this specials-only format doesn't have the pull the original format did.
libranof1987 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 11:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Top Gear trio returns with "The Grand Tour" on Amazon Prime!

The trio will be lapped up by any number of remaining networks, provided that they are willing to continue. They've explored multiple formats now, and while they dont match the numbers of OTG, none of their shows can be called a flop for sure.
And as long as us dinosaurs who watched OTG are around, doubtful that anything they put out will fall on its face.
mayankk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 17:31   #4
BANNED

Amazon cancels Grand Tour - Clarkson at it again

History has a habit of repeating itself and in the case of the Top Gear trio, the cause and effect remain the same too - Jeremy Clarkson.

https://amp.marca.com/en/lifestyle/t...c7d8b45a0.html
EV NXT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 18:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Amazon cancels Grand Tour - Clarkson at it again

I was a huge Top Gear fan and have watched almost every episode. In fact, I watched some iconic episodes twice. But the "magic" was entirely missing in The Grand Tour, the storyline was poor & release of new episodes quite inconsistent. I'm not going to miss The Grand Tour. Top Gear thrived when it was one of the only games in town. In the last 5 years however, we have been spoiled by more TV shows & streaming options than we could have ever imagined.

As much of a fan as I am of Clarkson, he needs to learn to put a lid on his mouth & his ego. We live in a world where corporates always want to be politically correct. Heck, no senior management interviews happen anymore without 3 PR personnel in the same room. Jeremy is too much of a liability.

Lots of new developments, he has apologised.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2023 at 18:56.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 21:02   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

In my opinion, Grand Tour hasn't challenged the golden era Top Gear. Some episodes were definitely up there, you could literally see the budget on screen as well. But the 'natural' and 'unscripted' flow of Top Gear was missing many a times. Also, the trio have become older (which honestly saddens me), so that impact is there too.

I would still watch all their shows with a glee on my face, but may be the time has come to wrap GT up.
professortarzan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 23:52   #7
BHPian

Offtopic, but I can't help but notice how people in the Western countries who lecture India about tolerance and free speech repeatedly display their own intolerance.

A man as influential as Clarkson is obviously feeling so threatened by his expression of free speech—no matter how unpalatable his words may have been—that he's pleading an apology.

Is this the celebrated idea of freedom of speech that we should look up to? Shameful.

I think Top Gear was what it was because of the unfiltered humour of the show, and the current generation of ultrasensitive snowflakes can no longer handle the things that gave that show its personality.
aryayush is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 00:33   #8
BHPian

I was about to say criticising someone like Meghan Markle shouldn’t lead to getting cancelled. Then i read the actual crass comments. That sort of statement is completely uncalled for no matter who you are talking about. Guess he learns nothing.
Abhiram is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 02:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Offtopic, but I can't help but notice how people in the Western countries who lecture India about tolerance and free speech repeatedly display their own intolerance.

A man as influential as Clarkson is obviously feeling so threatened by his expression of free speech—no matter how unpalatable his words may have been—that he's pleading an apology.

Is this the celebrated idea of freedom of speech that we should look up to? Shameful.

I think Top Gear was what it was because of the unfiltered humour of the show, and the current generation of ultrasensitive snowflakes can no longer handle the things that gave that show its personality.

Have you actually read his op-ed in The Sun and his first apology (which wasn't one btw)?

I have no words to say if this is the freedom of speech that you want to protect and celebrate.

Jeremy had published an op-ed in The Sun in which he said he hated Markle “on a cellular level,” as reported by National World.

At the same time, he stated that he wanted people to “throw lumps of <Removed>” at her.

In the column, he wrote: “I hate her. Not like I hate Nicola Sturgeon or Rose West. I hate her on a cellular level. At night, I’m unable to sleep as I lie there, grinding my teeth and dreaming of the day when she is made to parade <Removed> through the streets of every town in Britain while the crowds chant ‘Shame!’ and throw lumps of <Removed> at her.”

"Oh dear. I’ve rather put my foot in it. In a column I wrote about Meghan, I made a clumsy reference to a scene in Game of Thrones and this has gone down badly with a great many people. I’m horrified to have caused so much hurt and I shall be more careful in future.

P.S: No tears will be shed for cancelling The Grand Tour. It outlived its relevance anyway.
kiku007 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 03:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They sure can although I do agree that there is a huge element of political correctness mixed in as well. The lesson being even someone as big as Clarkson cannot say anything he likes. We hear more egregious things on a daily basis in India, things which actually result in direct violence and deaths.

Quote:
I am for absolute free speech but in saying that I dont know what the reaction from the masses is going to be. In this case there might be some people who may say Amazon's is an overreaction and therefore I am going to boycott buying anything from them like people who are saying that this article was in really bad taste no matter how much you do not like somone and therefore if Amazon keeps that relationship, I am going to boycott.

Quote:
He has not been put in jail or has become a political prisoner. I can say whatever I like but I cannot control the reaction to it.

Quote:
I partially agree with this. I do think that most of the political discourse and western universities have been taken over by the extreme left and if you do not agree with them on something, you are a misogynist, a racist and you dont deserve to live.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 05:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Jeremy's comments were certainly overboard, and irrespective of whoever is on the receiving end, it was uncalled for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
P.S: No tears will be shed for cancelling The Grand Tour. It outlived its relevance anyway.
The last few episodes of the Grand Tour were definitely yawn-inducing. We all hoped that when they switched to the format of specials it was going to be amazing. However, as can be seen by viewer's comments on the other thread, a lot of folks were grumbling, including myself.

Meanwhile Season 33 of Top Gear is a delight to watch, and the trio have smashed it out of the park! I ended up binge watching the entire season in 2 days.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 05:55   #12
Team-BHP Support

I almost feel like this is a mechanism deployed by Clarkson (and the likes, say Piers Morgan) to stay in the news and stay relevant and be in the news. His prime as an auto show host and entertainer is way past its expiry date and stray comments works as a sure shot way for publicity (even if its negative). And there could be another platform who is ready to pick up the Grand Tour (in a different name) and lug it forward for another couple of years (until the next controversial statement and ouster).
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 08:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Clarkson’s comments on Meghan Markle were clearly not meant to be taken literally. I don’t think they constitute hate speech or a genuine threat to her. I am sure we will find statements in Top Gear about different nations or people which were as offensive. So Amazon knew what they were doing when they hired him.

Suspect it is just that the Grand Tour has not been a large enough hit and the Meghan Markle is an American Hollywood actress with friends that Amazon cares for that has triggered this decision. But that is fair - it’s Amazon’s prerogative to decide whom it wants to do business with. And Clarkson is rich enough to fund his own show and get it online if he wants to and thinks he can make a return on investment. Suspect he is unlikely to do that though - he is over the hill.
Hayek is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 08:47   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Clarkson’s comments on Meghan Markle were clearly not meant to be taken literally. I don’t think they constitute hate speech or a genuine threat to her.
I'm assuming you read what he said. What more should one say for it to constitute as hate speech?! In 2022, no less.

Forget that she's an actress, or that she's married to UK Royalty, a statement such as that against anyone, a woman no less, a woman of colour much less, is just horribly wrong. What's worse is that he does it for amusement.

And does anyone buy that his apology is sincere?! I'm sure most don't.

Here's his Instagram post. This last bit highlights this vile mentality of saying absolute shit about someone/something to stay relevant / entertaining.

Amazon cancels Grand Tour - Clarkson at it again-screenshot-20230120-08.39.31.png

Quote:
Suspect it is just that the Grand Tour has not been a large enough hit and the Meghan Markle is an American Hollywood actress with friends that Amazon cares for that has triggered this decision.
That The Grand Tour hasn't been a fraction as entertaining as Top Gear is a well acknowledged fact. And Amazon has far less popular/well-received content still being dished out. I guess this statement just tipped the risk vs. reward for Amazon. Esp. being American aka lawsuit - fearing.

As mentioned on the Grand Tour thread, it is best that they call curtains on the show. For what it's worth, Clarkson did the heavy lifting on the show; and without him, May and Hammond will put everyone to sleep long before you can finish the list of people Clarkson has offended.
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 18:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good riddance. His one-time talent does not excuse him from his classist and racist behaviour.

Quote:
Clarkson’s comments on Meghan Markle were clearly not meant to be taken literally. I don’t think they constitute hate speech
Not at all. A rich old white man wishing physical harm and public humiliation on a black woman is quite normal. In the Jim Crow era.

Quote:
I am sure we will find statements in Top Gear about different nations or people which were as offensive.
Yes, there were a bunch. Like calling Mexican food vomit. At that time, some of us thought it was funny. Now we've grown up and realised that the peurile humour was actually racist and quite abhorrent.

All those defenders of 'free speech' by Clarkson, Morgan and other such irrelevant animals fail to notice that their 'humour' only works upon those less white / privileged. I've never heard a joke about their dead queen or her family of horses. Those come from Trevor Noah, Hasan Minhaj, you know, people like us.
v1p3r is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks