Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 17:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chrysler EV's cockpit with dual 37.2-inch screens!

Crysler unveiled a new two-seater EV cockpit design at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

This new cockpit previews the interior styling & design philosophy of future Chrysler EVs. Although the company didn't unveil the exteriors, the design and essence are said to be based on Chrylser's Airflow Concept showcased last year.

Chrysler EV's cockpit with dual 37.2-inch screens!-chryslerevcockpit.jpg

Reports also stated that Chrysler will be the first brand from Stellantis to feature the next-generation infotainment system in North America. This will include two massive infotainment screens, spanning the entire width of the car's dashboard. Dubbed the "Chrysler Synthesis Cockpit", it comes with two massive 37.2-inch screens for the front-row passengers. The massive infotainment system features over-the-air updates, a smart virtual assistant which suggests driving routes, charging & parking locations and even assist with e-commerce services.

In terms of design & build, Chrylser states that the cockpit will make use of recycled plastics, green materials, vegetable-tanned, textile-infused walnut flooring and the exclusion of chrome entirely, giving it a modern yet luxurious appeal.

Chrysler also stated that its future EVs will be based on the STLA platform, from Stellantis. All cars under this platform will also offer level-3 autonomous driving - STLA AutoDrive Technology. This allows drivers to take their hands off the steering and eyes off the road even when in motion.

The first all-electric vehicle from Chrysler is scheduled to be unveiled in 2025, with the company said to offer a fully-electrified lineup by 2028.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 9th January 2023 at 17:20.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Chrysler EV's cockpit with dual 37.2-inch screens!

Buttons! Why do they insist on taking them away?
And where will the steering wheel go?
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 15:37   #3
BHPian

Re: Chrysler EV's cockpit with dual 37.2-inch screens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Buttons! Why do they insist on taking them away?
And where will the steering wheel go?
I hate it with a vengeance when car makers take away buttons and replace with touch controls. With physical buttons, one can memorize their location and manipulate them without taking the eyes off the road, something that's impossible with touch devices. If the windscreen starts fogging up on a motorway, should I be fumbling with touch controls, making an already dangerous situation far worse?
supermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 16:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
This new cockpit previews the interior styling & design philosophy of future Chrysler EVs.
Quote:
Dubbed the "Chrysler Synthesis Cockpit", it comes with two massive 37.2-inch screens for the front-row passengers. The massive infotainment system features over-the-air updates,
Quote:
All cars under this platform will also offer level-3 autonomous driving - STLA AutoDrive Technology. This allows drivers to take their hands off the steering and eyes off the road even when in motion.
I am guessing that it comes with some sort of fighter plane helmet as a standard with a "See and Shoot" concept. Man what a leap of faith!!.

We need to see how it works in Bangalore traffic.
srini1785 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 15:58   #5
BHPian

I have a feeling the group who prefers to have physical buttons (which includes me) is a minority. Most of my friends whom I talk to seem to be excited about large touch screens. And most comments is in the line of “wow that dashboard LOOKS so cool with that large screen” and they didn’t even notice lack of buttons for frequency used tasks.

Probably they might find the usability issues once they actually own such a car, but the large screens does serve the purpose of creating that wow factor and getting customers in.

Also on a side note, with everything being automated (Auto AC, Auto headlights, Auto wipers etc), there seems to be less and less “frequently used buttons”. But I do find buttons useful even then, esp when they are mapped to some of the functions within Android Auto/car play
Old 12th January 2023, 21:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Rider View Post
I have a feeling the group who prefers to have physical buttons (which includes me) is a minority. Most of my friends whom I talk to seem to be excited about large touch screens. And most comments is in the line of “wow that dashboard LOOKS so cool with that large screen” and they didn’t even notice lack of buttons for frequency used tasks.

Probably they might find the usability issues once they actually own such a car, but the large screens does serve the purpose of creating that wow factor and getting customers in.

Also on a side note, with everything being automated (Auto AC, Auto headlights, Auto wipers etc), there seems to be less and less “frequently used buttons”. But I do find buttons useful even then, esp when they are mapped to some of the functions within Android Auto/car play
While the screens may look cool, it's not like I'm going to be looking at the beautiful screen as I'm driving, so I really don't know what thought process goes on behind the design of these interfaces. Sure, one may argue that the passenger can interact with the controls, but one doesn't always have a passenger, and if I need to take my eyes off the road to adjust the AC, or change the channel on the radio, it's dumb. Even in cars such as Teslas with so-called full self-drive (FSD), taking the eyes off the road can be a dumb idea (though there is no shortage of people with dumb ideas). I think more and more car designs are making it easier for drivers to be distracted than focused on the road, and this is not a good thing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks