Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 17:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

South Korea fines Tesla $2.2M for shorter driving range during winter

According to media reports, South Korea's Antitrust Regulators could impose a 2.85 billion won (US$ 2.2 million) fine on Tesla for failing to inform customers about the shorter driving range of its EVs in colder temperatures.

The Korea Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) said that until recently, Tesla exaggerated the driving range of its cars, their fuel-cost effectiveness comparison and the performance of its superchargers on their official country website since August 2019. KFTC further added that the driving range of Tesla's EVs dropped by up to 50.5% than advertised during the cold weather period.

South Korea fines Tesla .2M for shorter driving range during winter-teslamodel3.jpg

Tesla, on their official website, does provide winter driving tips which include pre-conditioning vehicles and monitoring energy consumption using the app. However, there is no mention of the loss of driving range in sub-zero temperatures.

Extreme temperature is a known factor which affects an electric vehicle's performance. As per a study, an EV outperformed its stated range at just above 20-deg C, but at -15-deg C the EV had only 54% of its rated range.

Reports state that KFTC also fined Mercedes-Benz & its Korean unit 20.2 billion won for false advertising of gas emissions from its diesel vehicles.

Source: Reuters

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 5th January 2023 at 17:56.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 18:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: South Korea fines Tesla $2.2M for shorter driving range during winter

First thing to pop in my mind is - Domestic manufacturer protection
Does anyone else think so?

Next thing being, since S.Korean car market is dominated by 1% of EV cars, wouldn't this be omnipresent by now? Or is S.Korean govt so bureaucratic that they want everything to be explicitly written?

Hopefully BYD is not their next target
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 19:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
First thing to pop in my mind is - Domestic manufacturer protection
Does anyone else think so?
I doubt it. I read an article on this after coming across this on Reddit. Basically, in South Korea, Tesla marketed the range as "more than XXX km" with XXX being the tested figures. However in other locations (I think the EU), it was written as "up to XXX km". The authorities decided this was deceptive wording. After everything else such as the range dropping drastically in cold weather, Tesla got fined.

I'd tentatively agree with this decision because it does seem deceptively worded to me as well.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 5th January 2023 at 19:06.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 09:38   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
KFTC further added that the driving range of Tesla's EVs dropped by up to 50.5% than advertised during the cold weather period.
That is a wild drop! Is it true? Thank God we don't have extreme snow-clad winters in a majority of India. But do Indian EV owners see a significant drop in driving range say, in Delhi-NCR? I believe parts of Delhi-NCR have temperatures of ~4 degrees currently.

No such issues in Bombay. It's either hot most of the year, or pleasant at best. Hardly ever cold.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 09:55   #5
BHPian

As far as I know Tesla makes copious use of regenerative braking.
I thought some part of that recovered energy could also be used to warm/heat the battery when required, besides using it to recharge the batteries.

Out of curiosity I checked the Tesla website.
Strangely there is no mention of it.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/magic-tes...rative-braking

Any experts know why?
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 09:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
According to media reports, South Korea's Antitrust Regulators could impose a 2.85 billion won (US$ 2.2 million) fine
Just US$2.2 million? Tesla will hardly notice it. These days fining large companies has no impact, since their cash reserves are enormous. Unless the government fines as a percent of the annual revenues, companies will continue to break rules.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 10:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Extreme temperature is a known factor which affects an electric vehicle's performance. As per a study, an EV outperformed its stated range at just above 20-deg C, but at -15-deg C the EV had only 54% of its rated range.
At low temperatures, you keep the heater ON throughout the journey and heater is also powered by the battery. A Few KwH off your battery for heating means less mileage. Whats so surprising?.
Old 6th January 2023, 10:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
At low temperatures, you keep the heater ON throughout the journey and heater is also powered by the battery. A Few KwH off your battery for heating means less mileage. Whats so surprising?.
Switching the Heater is one part but in cold weather battery range does drop due to the battery chemistry.

Quote:
The main reasons driving range goes down in cold weather are the impact on battery chemistry when parked and the drain in order to maintain battery temperature and supply cabin heat. Cold temperatures can reduce an unplugged EV’s range by about 20 percent, according to testing by the Norwegian Automobile Federation, and recharging takes longer than in warm weather.
Quote:
Running the cabin heater, seat heaters, defroster, and other accessories that combat the cold weather inside the car all sap range. For cold temperatures, what we have found is that 20° F and colder is when the range really drops.
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...e-a5751769461/
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 10:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
I think a factor bigger than heating is that batteries themselves last less in cold weather. This will be a bigger contributor to the lower range.
Old 6th January 2023, 11:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Switching the Heater is one part but in cold weather battery range does drop due to the battery chemistry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
I think a factor bigger than heating is that batteries themselves last less in cold weather. This will be a bigger contributor to the lower range.
My point exactly. If this was already known then why fine Tesla?. I wonder if Kia or Hyundai EV's face similar fine. After all they all use LI Batteries.
Old 6th January 2023, 12:59   #11
BHPian

I will not be surprised if these claims are to give their home bred brands (Hyundai/Kia/Genessis) a boost in the electric image.

Most developed countries mandate that the range values from standard test procedures should be listed on their website. Tesla has done so in almost all the country websites I have seen (US/All EU countries where they sell/China/Japan). Now South Korea´s trade fair commission complaining sounds more like Tesla not following norms in website listings. Why does a company do such silly things in one country? Well, I hope Tesla fights this.

Would love to hear from any T-bhpians from South Korea.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But do Indian EV owners see a significant drop in driving range say, in Delhi-NCR? I believe parts of Delhi-NCR have temperatures of ~4 degrees currently.
Was wondering the same thing but haven't noticed any major effect in my Nexon EV in winters in Delhi. Constantly getting around 220-250kms in about 75-80% battery after which I put it to charge. Most of my usage is in crawling Delhi traffic so never got more than that in last 6 months of ownership.
prateekchanana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 19:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is a wild drop! Is it true?
Could be. Watch this video of a New York Taxi driver driving a Tesla, who states that when in cold weather, he manages to get only a 80 mile range when the expected is 240 miles. Now that's significant 67% drop in cold weather.

Now I have seen many other reviews where the cold weather efficiency drop is much less at 30%. But I have no reasons not to believe this man.

frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 20:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Could be. Watch this video of a New York Taxi driver driving a Tesla, who states that when in cold weather, he manages to get only a 80 mile range when the expected is 240 miles. Now that's significant 67% drop in cold weather.
Dont know whats happening there, I believe he meant 180miles, 80miles for a city taxi is too low.

Below is Bjorn Nyland test of TM3 LR 2021 with 69.2kwh battery at -16°C which gave a range of 189miles or 304kms at a speed of 120kmph.

Tesla Model 3 LR 2021 −16 Nokian R3 Winter 120 228 69,2 304 189
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 21:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Dont know whats happening there, I believe he meant 180miles, 80miles for a city taxi is too low.

Below is Bjorn Nyland test of TM3 LR 2021 with 69.2kwh battery at -16°C which gave a range of 189miles or 304kms at a speed of 120kmph.

Tesla Model 3 LR 2021 −16 Nokian R3 Winter 120 228 69,2 304 189

Yes I agree, I have also watched a lot of Bjorn vides and hence I was confused with this part and hence never posted it earlier. Only added on this thread since the discussion was primarily cold weather range. Hopefully someone with cold weather experience will post their information.
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks