Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2023, 00:20   #16
BHPian

Re: South Korea fines Tesla $2.2M for shorter driving range during winter

Tesla Model Y (2021 Long Range AWD with 20" wheels) owner here, bought it during November 2020. I live in the NYC area. Here are "my" real world results.

The car came with a claimed range of 316 miles (506 kms).

The best I got during summer was around 240 miles (384 kms). That's a drop of around 25%.

This corroborates with Cars.com long terms range test, where they got 75% claimed efficiency. Link here.

Now during winter its a different story. I have got range of around 180-200 miles and say an average of around 190 miles (304 kms). That's a drop of 40%.

I've used a subscription app called Tezlab for tracking this.

From Edmunds.com -
†To date, every Tesla vehicle we've run on our real-world test route has failed to hit its EPA range estimate within the testing parameters described above, whereas most non-Tesla vehicles have surpassed their EPA estimates.
inwester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:23   #17
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
My point exactly. If this was already known then why fine Tesla?. I wonder if Kia or Hyundai EV's face similar fine. After all they all use LI Batteries.
Cant expect everyone to be aware of it. I doubt any non-enthusiasts or older folks would be aware of it and could fall for the marketing.
Old 9th January 2023, 15:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That is a wild drop! Is it true? Thank God we don't have extreme snow-clad winters in a majority of India. But do Indian EV owners see a significant drop in driving range say, in Delhi-NCR? I believe parts of Delhi-NCR have temperatures of ~4 degrees currently. .
Yes. Delhi drops to around 1C quite often. There is definitely a drop in range, mostly due to batter heating by the vehicle. On my MG ZS EV, the range drops by at least 20% on really cold days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks