Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 11:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen listens to customers; confirms revival of physical buttons on steering wheel

According to a media report, Volkswagen will be bringing back physical buttons on the steering wheel. After facing criticism for some of their in-car technology in models such as the GTI, the company has decided to listen to customer feedback and move away from the touch-sensitive surfaces on the steering wheel.

Thomas Schafer, VW CEO confirmed the same, stating "We are bringing back the push-button steering wheel! That's what customers want from Volkswagen."

Volkswagen listens to customers; confirms revival of physical buttons on steering wheel-pologtisteering.jpeg

However, neither Schafer nor Volkswagen have announced a timeline for when the updated steering wheel will make a comeback. The company is also yet to reveal which of its models will get the updated steering wheel. These steering wheels with touch-sensitive controls rolled out a couple of years ago. Currently, a wide range of models in Volkswagen's lineup, including the Polo GTI, ID.4 and the ID.Buzz come with touch-sensitive surfaces on the steering wheel.

Reports do suggest that the first car with physical buttons on the steering wheel in the US, will arrive in late 2024.

Source: Autoblog

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 25th October 2022 at 11:56.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 13:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen listens to customers; confirms revival of physical buttons on steering wheel

VW, please do the same with AC controls!

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th October 2022 at 10:17. Reason: no sms language.
yogeshb18 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 13:56   #3
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen listens to customers; confirms revival of physical buttons on steering wheel

Good. Volkswagen has responded to customers' poor feedback about their touch-sensitive controls that give customers poor feedback.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 25th October 2022 at 13:57.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 15:37   #4
BHPian

Great move by VW.
Hope the same happens to some of the controls on the centre console and infotainment area.
Not just VW, this applies to all the manufacturers.
prajnya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:11   #5
BHPian

Speaking of OEM listening to customers, here is another from VW's cousin.

Quote:
Brand new Skoda Slavia replaced for FREE, automaker receives praises from sedan owner
LINK
Old 26th October 2022, 15:56   #6
BHPian

Imagine, I am reading into the future when company will announce they are bringing back physical steering wheels, which company stopped providing after auto pilot or driverless car.
Common Volkswagen, admit mistake and review your position at all front as someone pointed about ac control.
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 16:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I find it amusing when corporations try to spin things they do for their own bottomline, as being done for the greater good. Customers provide feedback on a lot of different things. I would be really keen to understand what exactly made VW consider this as the number 1 feedback they should work on?

I suspect they realised it’s easier/cheaper to procure physical buttons than the capacitive touch thingies.
Dry Ice is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:41   #8
BHPian

I think the Volkswagen group has made the right decision here, Volkswagen group should also remove the touch AC control units from Virtus, Taigun, Slavia, Kushaq, and give AC controllers with physical buttons. I think they will be more useful.
amrit_bareta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I suspect they realised it’s easier/cheaper to procure physical buttons than the capacitive touch thingies.
I thought so too, but I happened across some literature to the contrary. AFAIK a capacitive surface is simpler and cheaper to procure than a set of individual physical buttons.
Singh101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:36   #10
BANNED

I don't understand why you should always 'reinvent the wheel', unless and until such a move fixes (almost) all the cons of the existing system. The touch sensitive buttons, other than looking nice does not do anything right. How can someone not touch those touch buttons accidently while driving. This was the major con for the touch sensitive buttons in the steering wheel as per the reviews. Thank God, they realised it atleast by now, the simplicity and usability of physical buttons can never be replaced. Adding modern tech does not always solve problems, it would mostly add complexities and affect usability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks