Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2022, 17:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz could continue offering V8 engines beyond 2030, despite EV commitments

Mercedes-Benz revealed its plans to go fully electric by the end of the decade. However, according to fresh reports, the German carmaker could continue to offer high-performance V8-powered models well beyond 2030.

Mercedes-Benz could continue offering V8 engines beyond 2030, despite EV commitments-mercamggtblackseries.jpg

Joerg Bartels, VP for vehicle development, Mercedes-Benz, stated that while its EVs will revolutionise the performance car segment, there is still room in its future product plan for the V8 engine. Bartels mentioned that the company has clear plans to become CO2 neutral by 2039 and offer pure-electric products from 2030. However, if there is customer demand for the V8 engine in certain regions and it's still in their offering, then they have no plans of stopping.

Having said that, he did mention that it "all depends on emission regulations" while adding that it is difficult to predict how the market will evolve over the coming decades. Mercedes is aware of the difficulties of having the IC engines comply with the upcoming Euro7 emissions. However, if customers still want to buy cars with six and eight-cylinder engines, Bartels is confident the engineers will find a way to meet the tougher regulations, although it might come at a higher cost.

Source: CarSales

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 13th September 2022 at 17:42.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 19:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz could continue offering V8 engines beyond 2030, despite EV commitments

Praise be to the Gods of motoring!

I will NEVER be able to afford one of Merc's V8 engined cars. But it makes me happy just to know that there will still be cars driving out of a factory somewhere that growl and burble like angry beasts, rather than hum like monks .
lordrayden is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 12:32   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz could continue offering V8 engines beyond 2030, despite EV commitments

Fast EVs will come but big & powerful petrol engines will always be around for enthusiast owners. These are important for their halo products, profitable and will help the brand to maintain loyalty with their super-rich clientele. Although the choice will slim down as only the big committed OEMs will be able to meet ever-tightening engine norms.

Kudos to Mercedes . In fact, due to their relative simplicity, I prefer V8s over V10s & V12s which can be a nightmare to own. V8s offer the perfect balance of high-end performance & daily-use practicality, even in Ferraris.

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 13:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good news of course - however, I'm quite amazed about all these automakers making tall claims of going all-electric by 2030. Remember thats just about 7.5 years from now.

A commitment to go all electric, will practically mean giving up on a lot of significant markets (India included) - that will not be even remotely ready for EVs as primary cars. I don't think shareholders will be impressed with such claims in the long run. For now - these announcements are great for PR to ride the excitement around EVs, but in another 2-3 years once the realities of the charging infrastructure and other associated problems start showing up often - these claims will be rolled back. Just my anticipation, would be great if proven wrong of course.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Good news of course - however, I'm quite amazed about all these automakers making tall claims of going all-electric by 2030. Remember thats just about 7.5 years from now.
Guess, that would be for markets like UK who have decided that no new petrol and diesel cars and vans to be sold in the UK after 2030, and with hybrid sales will be banned from 2035.

But, with the energy crises UK and Europe is currently facing and talk of US going into a recession, will have to see how this pans out over the years.
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 15:30   #6
BHPian

A delight to hear this, I don't know why but I yet don't see myself having an all-electric garage a diesel/petrol alternative is a must for me. The feel and sound that petrols and diesels have IMHO can never be attained in an EV. Used to a own a Merc V6 and boy was that engine something, can only imagine the sheer power of the V8s!

Speaking from a financial perspective, this move should be prudent for Merc too since historically they have been associated with ICE high performance engines and this should keep their sales safe for at least a decade more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks