Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 16:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW charges $18 / month for heated seats; Other features also offered via subscription

BMW South Korea's ConnectedDrive store offers customers a chance to download a variety of apps and features. The apps are installed via over-the-air updates without requiring vehicle owners to bring the car to the service centre.

BMW charges  / month for heated seats; Other features also offered via subscription-bmwi4electricsedan-1.jpg

According to a media report, one such feature offered by BMW is heated seats. Customers who want the comfort feature on their existing BMWs are required to shell out a monthly fee of 24,000 won (equivalent to US$ 18). Alternatively, customers can also opt for a one-year or three-year subscription plan which costs US$176 and US$283, respectively. Customers who want the feature permanently can opt for it by paying US$406.

Another similar feature on offer is the heated steering wheel, which will cost either US$10 per month, US$92 for a year or US$161 for a three-year subscription. Customers can also opt to buy it outright for US$222.

BMW charges  / month for heated seats; Other features also offered via subscription-bmwsubscriptionfeatures.jpg

In addition to this, customers can also opt for features like Driving Assistant Plus for US$39 per month, High Beam Assistant for US$8.5 per month and BMW Drive Recorder for US$11.5 per month. All these features will come with a one-month test period, allowing the customers to trial the feature before paying the subscription fee.

BMW also offers wireless Apple CarPlay as an outright option for US$305. There is also a unique feature called IconicSounds Sport, which plays fake engine noises through the car's speakers. While there is no subscription fee, customers can have it installed permanently by paying US$138.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 11th July 2022 at 16:51.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:17   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW charges $18 / month for heated seats; Other features also offered via subscription

This is my biggest peeve with BMW India. I had poured it out in one of my posts about it. While some Korean options are super cool, you can check-out other country pages as well. There are some really nice things (including adaptable suspension unlock offered online). We get none of those cool things. In fact, the iDrive 7 in India has so many menu options disabled that my jaw dropped when I looked at the gamut of options on offer in a 3 series in the US. Tch!
Impulsivemedusa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:23   #3
BHPian

Re: BMW charges $18 / month for heated seats; Other features also offered via subscription

It is sad to see this kind of ripping off the customers; never expected BMW to do this!
I am sure this will trickle down quickly to our market; with all the connected tech, these manufacturers can essentially lock you out of your own vehicle if need be.
In essence, the owner is now leasing features!
sidbp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 17:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
In essence, the owner is now leasing features!
I for one am actually fine. Imagine that you can get pre-conditioning in your 3-series for a monthly payment. I'd happily do that to settling for a 6-series. This allows an owner to choose and pay for features (s)he would want than pay a lot higher to go for a higher version of the car, if you do not miss the other attendant creature comforts.
Old 11th July 2022, 18:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
BMW South Korea's ConnectedDrive store offers customers a chance to download a variety of apps and features. The apps are installed via over-the-air updates without requiring vehicle owners to bring the car to the service centre.
Looks like BMW has updated its ConnectedDrive page across geos. Probably for iDrive8. You can find these in the Malaysia market as well. A richer set here, of course in its home market.
Old 11th July 2022, 18:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Until they are reducing that cost upfront and allowing us to enable it later I am absoultely fine with this. Not only can I get the car cheaper earlier I can enable them later when I have enough money instead of feeling bad that I did not get those features at all.

Second advantage of this is I can only use certain features when I absolutely need it and use it for just a limited time.

This has been happening for quiet sometime in Video game industry, where in you get to buy base game first and then you can continue to get more content added to the game via DLC.

Similarly this can enable BMW to give certain features later, which can be enabled by just software update, which were not even present in top end model at time of launch as those were not developed. If used correctly this will just make things better.

I am all for modular technology as well, where in manufacturer itself offers you a much upgraded head unit in later half of car life span, which is just plug and play and enables certain features which were restricted due to hardware limitations earlier. Best example being if I can get from manufacturer itself a Head unit which supports Android Auto, Carplay and which is just plug and play. I will buy it in jiffy rather then buying an aftermarket one.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th July 2022 at 19:02.
AtheK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 22:09   #7
BHPian

It's understandable if some of the features related to connected car or ADAS are put behind a monthly paywall cause those need constant development and resources to maintain.

But putting a hardware feature such as heated seats behind a monthly sub is a pure money grab. I'm shocked to see this kind of pettiness from a company like BMW. I do not believe for a second that the heating coil and related components aren't part of the upfront cost especially in the current market with component shortages.
Tanmay007 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 22:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

After the ‘CarPlay for a fee’ debacle, it was assumed that BMW had learnt its lesson. Evidently, they haven’t. Seems they have picked up far too many employees from the mobile app ecosystem. Horrible move, which will unnecessarily spoil the reputation of the brand.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:36   #9
BHPian

BMW subscription hell

Just came across this article: BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month as auto industry races towards a future full of microtransactions.

Quote:
A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18... BMW owners already have all the necessary components, but BMW has simply placed a software block on their functionality that buyers then have to pay to remove.
What's next? A $1 charge to unlock the doors?

And how soon before Indian companies start this trend (and Karol Bagh mechanics start offering jugaad bypass).

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/2...-seats-feature
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:36   #10
BHPian

BMW subscription hell

Quote:
BMW owners already have all the necessary components, but BMW has simply placed a software block on their functionality that buyers then have to pay to remove.

Source

And how soon before Indian companies start this trend (and Karol Bagh mechanics start offering jugaad bypass).

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th July 2022 at 09:22.
naru80 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:41   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW subscription hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
How about charges to use the indicators, the wiper, or even to use the steering wheel ?

Dont know how far this can go. With more electronics in cars, it becomes easier for manufacturers to control products even after the sale.

Slave to the machine, they used to say. Now it's being a Slave to the manufacturer.
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:53   #12
BHPian

May be I'm being stupid, but when I read news like this I wonder why purchase the car in the first place? Why not get it on subscription instead?
Can't comprehend the manufacturer's logic, when the customer puts hefty amount in purchasing the car (upwards of 30-40L in India), they still have to pay to use something that they've already purchased
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:19   #13
BHPian

What next ? Pay 500 bucks to use wipers in rains ? Pay 100 bucks to unlock rear doors ? If the car is registered in my name, paid for by my money, and taxes as well paid by me, then I would do as I please with it. Meaning I would find a way to go past this pay-wall crap.
There's nothing on BMW's or any other manufacturers side to upkeep such a feature so that they charge customer ti use it as per they wish.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 23:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
May be I'm being stupid, but when I read news like this I wonder why purchase the car in the first place? Why not get it on subscription
You will own nothing and you will be happy - World Economic Forum.

I am just waiting for a startup to remodel and launch rental houses as scbscription based housing and get multi billion dollar funding from VC's.

The day isn't far when there would be no external slot (pen drive etc) in car in-built music system and one can play music only through a certain subscription based service locked by DRM. Night driving will be deemed unsafe and those who drive at night time will pay more insurance. What about load capacity, if one wishes to have more person than the prescribed capacity, they will have to shell out few rupees at that moment for the car to start.

The future is filled with many stupid ideas by corporates to exploit consumers.
Sran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 23:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru80 View Post
Just came across this article: BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month as auto industry races towards a future full of microtransactions.
It is a wonderful option and a great move by BMW.

Imagine living in a cold weather (E.G : Detroit, Munich, Minneapolis, Boston, etc). A customer can now build a car and skip adding $500 (Heating option) to his build.

One can subscribe for it for 3-months every year and even if ownership is for 10 years. It will make sense.

This is similar to how Tesla's are doing for their FSD's.

Subscription model is a great way to choose a feature which are generally options to save money for a consumer.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2022 at 18:48. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please proof-read before posting.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks