Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 15:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW says large screens in cars may soon become extinct

BMW designer states that large screens in cars may soon be a thing of the past.

Speaking alongside design leaders of multiple car brands, BMW i Interior Design Head, Matthias Junghanns stated that large infotainment displays could soon become extinct. He stated that as technology evolves, large screens inside cars will make way for smaller, more intelligent devices that will "appear" as and when the driver and passengers require.

BMW says large screens in cars may soon become extinct-2022bmw7series-3.jpg

Conny Blomme, Polestar interior design manager, supported Junghanns statement by adding that everything has its peak and maybe the size of screens in cars has reached its limit. Blomme further went on to state that most of the time spent travelling, drivers and passengers enjoy the view outside rather than being glued to a screen.

Large screens have become a new normal in cars of today. While most carmakers are offering 10 to 12-inch screens as standard, the biggest screens in cars are currently offered by Mercedes-Benz & BMW.

Mercedes-Benz offers the MBUX Hyperscreen, which spreads across the entire dashboard, integrating the digital instrument cluster, the infotainment unit and a passenger-side display. BMW, on the other hand, just debuted its massive 31-inch 8K roof-mounted theatre screen for the rear passengers on the all-new 7 Series flagship sedan. This is apart from the 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and 14.9-inch infotainment unit.

Source: Car Design News

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 15:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW says large screens in cars may soon become extinct

Good news only. I don’t think anyone likes having screens placed at every nook and corner of a car. Heck, we don’t need a driver at then, if a computer can take care of that aspect too.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 19:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

BMW has a point and made it with the Roll Royce Phantom VIII. The infotainment screen on the VIII slides down and inside the Dash and reveals a Plaque like space which is meant to be for art work that owners can commission for themselves. Takes personalization to new height. In their opinion, the screens of today are anyway going to be out of date in 3 yrs time at which time, the personalized Plaque becomes the talking point. I would say take this 1 step forward and make the Infotainment screen replaceable every 2 yrs to keep it up-to-date. SW can be updated via OTA but HW needs to keep up and needs updation.This is where I believe MBUX Hyperscreen is a temporary fad.

Bugatti agrees with this too. The Veyron and Chiron don't have any screens. While I love Pagani's to bits for the sheer art work that it is, I see the Infotainment screen not catching up. looks too aged. Should've gone the Bugatti way.
14000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 22:00   #4
BHPian

It should happen as soon as possible. So many screens all around the driver are a distraction specially with the driving conditions inside the city. I prefer the old school system of buttons which give a tactile feedback specially for the AC system. Taking away your eyes from the road to operate the touch screens are a hazard to the other vehicles and pedestrians as well.
adi.mariner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they are hinting at the windscreen that may used in place of the big screens Who knows what the future holds: the windscreen can become a huge HUD and at the end of the drive leaving the driver with nystagmus and a slight sense of disorientation & vertigo... Once the car starts driving itself autonomically then the windscreen may not be needed at all...just like front grill isn't a necessity for the electric cars...

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th May 2022 at 23:25.
Old 11th May 2022, 01:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to know about the screens.

But, what about large, err no, gigantic grills?
Dry Ice is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:16   #7
BHPian

Why can't automakers understand that if I want a big screen, I would go to a nearest appliance store and pick up a Sony 65" TV with 4K, HDR, OLED and whatever the gizmos they come with these days. The last thing I want to see in my car after looking at monitor from 9 to 5 at my job is, yes you guessed it right, another monitor. Just give a simple system like Suzuki Smart Infotainment for Android Auto/Apple Carplay and be done with it.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 11:02   #8
BHPian

I like company's that follow the standard double-din system (like Maruti, or at least they used to).

The screen behind the steering wheel should be only for vehicle related information, and the centre fascia system should be only for navigation and music. And if it's on a double-din standard, can easily be upgraded in the future.

I installed a Pioneer DMH-z5290bt unit in my 2011 Altis for the Android Auto features. All I use is Google Maps + Music Streaming (I use YT music), and this unit is a godsend. I would be highly frustrated if I bought a car in which I wouldn't be able to access or add these features if they don't come from the factory.

The screen on my Pioneer is a tad small, I admit, but not a deal breaker by any means. I'd choose it any day over a bigger screen that I can't replace.
Old 12th May 2022, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Absolutely, the larger the screens the bigger the distraction while driving. In fact the slide in/out formats or possibilities of blanking the screen are excellent options. That way they can be used when the car is static or probably, in chauffered vehicles shifting it to passenger side may be nice.
Stretching a limb on imagination here since (another irritant feature of wifi!) network enabled cars are in, it would not be a bad idea to have a detachable tab like control which can be parked on a dock near the driver if self drive and passed to the passenger if chauffered..
Things can go any which ways, but big screens are definitely a marketing gimmick perpetrated by the Koreans and Chinese automakers!
Old 12th May 2022, 20:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

After putting in a massive wide angle 31inch screen inside the car, they come out with a press release saying that screens will become extinct. Lol .

What next BMW? Pls. issue a press release that massive grills will soon become extinct.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 19:22   #11
BHPian

Guys! This isn't out of intention! In the very near future they will have to choose between a grill and screen, and their choice is clear!

Jokes aside, hopefully now around we'll get to see real design elements, materials and colours like we did before the screen dominance (I'm looking at you, Mercedes!).
Old 18th May 2022, 23:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After putting in a massive wide angle 31inch screen inside the car, they come out with a press release saying that screens will become extinct. Lol .

What next BMW? Pls. issue a press release that massive grills will soon become extinct.
Maybe they'd have to consult with the average Chinese luxury car customer first! But at least we know that the Chinese have good taste on the SCREEN aspect, as BMW seems to want to drop the idea.
Old 19th May 2022, 00:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
BMW i Interior Design Head, Matthias Junghanns stated that large infotainment displays could soon become extinct.

BMW, on the other hand, just debuted its massive 31-inch 8K roof-mounted theatre screen for the rear passengers on the all-new 7 Series flagship sedan. This is apart from the 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and 14.9-inch infotainment unit.
They have brought the joke on themselves. Was the designer hallucinating when he decided to go with that massive screen for the rear passengers on their latest and greatest offering? Or did he have a Eureka moment after experiencing it himself?
ToThePoint is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed