Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2022, 19:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

Its amazing how there is not a single angle from where that car looks good. Achievement in itself.

Its difficult to make humongous sedans look beautiful as it is (Mercedes and Bentley have perfected that art) but BMW has been progressively going downhill on that front.
amol4184 is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 19:52   #17

Re: Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan

Am i the only one who likes this design?
If I'm paying 2 crores for a flagship sedan, I'd want it to stand out and stand out it does, there's no denying that. I think bmw did a good job not trying to make it look sporty, this one looks stately (especially from the side). I liked the design of the G11 LCI when it was launched with the largest grill ever. Most people hated it, but later warmed up to it. I'm predicting that the same will happen for this latest one.
Only problem I have is with the rear of this car. How can an 8 series like sporty rear lights fit a luxury sedan
Nitish B Shetty is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:05   #18
BHPian

For once I am happy that I can't afford a BMW!
BMW is making the design guys at Toyota and Lexus look like saints.
Deep Blue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:37   #19
BHPian

<RANT>

My appreciation for TATA Nano & Fiat Multipla just increased 100x

</RANT>

(No Offence, nano was a great product)

I bet folks at Mercedes HQ are celebrating their saved marketing budget & less competition (as if 7 Series was a match for S-Class)

Cars that look better than the 7 Series

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-fiat-multipla.jpg

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-tata_nano_yellow.jpg

R.I.P to those mean-looking masculine Bimmers we could drool over all day long !!

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-jjuxa8hw5j251.jpg

Last edited by RohaNN_kWh : 21st April 2022 at 20:42. Reason: Comment Added
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 20:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish B Shetty View Post
Am i the only one who likes this design?
If I'm paying 2 crores for a flagship sedan, I'd want it to stand out and stand out it does, there's no denying that. I think bmw did a good job not trying to make it look sporty, this one looks stately (especially from the side).
I am in agreement with you, this has to do with standing out on some part of it. But there may be another aspect in my opinion as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I frankly find it hard to believe this made it to production. How on earth did a weird, strange, awkward & ugly design pass the many layers of approvals?
Big, declarative grilles are Chinese fascination. In 2021, China at 33% share was top global market for BMW with the 2nd (US), 3rd (Germany) and 4th (UK) positions collectively being lesser than China. So it may be extrapolated that BMW wants this to be popular with competing models in China.

Moreover in their 2nd biggest market, the USA, the growth % is getting through the roof for their 4 series sedan after they introduced similar scary grill design. May be because people are buying more as it looks like SUV from the or may be they relate better with costlier 7 or 8 series on similar design philosopies.

Last edited by haisaikat : 21st April 2022 at 20:55.
haisaikat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 22:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

In the meantime, Dilip Chhabria is regrettably looking at this latest offering, thinking:

Everything I could do to enhance this car, has already been done straight out the factory.

Axe77 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 22:44   #22
BHPian

Amazing looking car and already my wallpaper!
2023 7 Series pushes the boundaries of automobile design by a large margin. A landmark moment for BMW. I love it. The interiors for the first time, are better than the S Class IMO (by leaps and bounds).

I loved the current M4 and X7 but this 7 series is my favorite BMW now. I must add, that my taste in car design is quite unorthodox. I like the current Creta's design, adore Lexus' spindle grill, and hate conservative designs like the current gen. Mercedes cars and most VW/Audis.
A good video showing the new 7 in its element.
AMG1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 23:29   #23
BHPian

Car designs should not be judged by photos. The G82 M4 looks bad in photos with those grills. But it looks quite good in person. I felt the older generation being OLD once I saw the G82 in person and on the road. Tesla model Y might look good in pictures. But it's hideous in person. Based on how low the car sits from ground, perceptions change drastically.

There are some exceptions though, Porsche looks very good in pictures but it's breathtaking when seen in real life.
Pontiac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 23:48   #24
BHPian

Stunning design! Loved it. Meaningful, menacing and massive.
As someone said previously, when you see this on the road, you know the owner is driving the top of the line BMW. The little artistic touches of the light play is beautiful. And that interior! If I was a millionaire, that is where I would like to plonk myself enjoying the 4D experience from the 30 speaker sound system, while my driver navigates the Traffic (with the help of level 3 autonomous driving!)
Old 22nd April 2022, 02:42   #25
BHPian

I did have some reservations when the spy pics came out and I’m still not convinced about the Nissan Juke like headlight assembly. But I have a feeling that this car will look much better in person and might even become attractive after a few years of seeing it on the road. I especially like the fact that they stuck with the three box design for the i7 unlike the EQS and looks much better than the iX. What I am concerned about is the fact that since this is not a bespoke electric car like the EQS or iX, it won’t be nearly as dynamically capable nor have the packaging flexibility that a bespoke electric car platform provides. This problem is faced by the i4 already according to its reviews which is basically just an electrical version of the 4 series.
Old 22nd April 2022, 08:51   #26
BHPian

In all probability, this looks like a car made by one of those Chinese companies that have all the 26 alphabets in their name. Seriously though, what were they thinking. It would be a case study to see how they garner previous sales number with these hideous designs.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 08:55   #27
BHPian

Looks like the BMW Design Studio has changed hands from Bavarian Motor Works to Beijing Motor Works. It's too wierd a design to digest for a 7 series. The bonnet looks too high, the tail looks too tall, and the side a bit plain for me.

But who am I to comment, I'm not even in the target market for a 2 Series. The buyers in China would be overjoyed with this over the top design, and that is what matters to the accountants.

PS. Not an anti china rant, but just disappointed with this design.

Last edited by umohan98 : 22nd April 2022 at 08:55. Reason: Fixing Typo.
umohan98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepo View Post
I thought it would only be ugly from the front but DAMN, its hideous from the rear
I want a poll because I think it is uglier from the front. Mods, kindly create one.
Excommunicado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:34   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

What Lexus does BMW can do better. Both are locked in a world contest for the most frightening frontispiece. The God of Grills khush hua.

In times to come mother's will tell little children, "drink up your milk otherwise BMW baba will come"

Excuse me while I go into a corner and bawl my lungs out.
Attached Thumbnails
Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-lexuslxexterior92766.jpg  

Seventh-generation BMW 7 Series globally unveiled; Debuts all-electric i7 sedan-2022bmw7series-1.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd April 2022 at 09:37.
V.Narayan is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 09:37   #30
BHPian

This design is stunning TBH. The existing line up has become so generic looking that only the grille stood out. For a flagship sedan this one is a proper bold standout statement.

Merc might be classy and soft, but do they really stand out? The Merc s class looks like slightly melted (not sculpted) design from earlier. The Audis have a bolder design aesthetic but one that is governed by the 'understatedness' of the Audi brand.

I am digging this design. Well played BMW.
sai_ace is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks