Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2021, 03:28   #1
SSO
BHPian

15 Years with the Ferrari F40

We have owned our Ferrari F40 for just over 15 years now. This is twice as long as I have ever owned any other car. In those 15 years, I’ve driven it 30,000 miles across 11 different countries. The F40 has had one major engine rebuild, two new clutches, and one new set of fuel cells. Our various adventures over the years are well documented both on Karenable.com and in a few issues of EVO Magazine. I’ve taken the F40 on the track in several different countries and have run it flat out down the autobahn. The longest single day drive I have done in it was Nice to Madrid in a bit under 9 hours. The F40 has been driven across the Swiss Alps and up a goat path in Wales. Needless to say, our F40 has led a full life in the last 15 years and is about as far from being a garage queen as you can get.

How we ended up with the F40 is a bit of a convoluted story. It started with a test drive of a Dino 246 GT in the countryside outside of Brussels. While the test drive was far from a success the conversation back in the garage turned out to be most fortuitous. In the barn where the Dino was kept there were also two F40s. After we established that the Dino 246 GT wasn’t going work due to both my longish legs and a missing 2nd gear, the conversation shifted quickly to the two imposing F40s. It was the 1st time I had ever seen a pair up close, and the highly knowledgeable broker took me through both cars and pointed out the differences as one was a very early production sliding plexi window F40, and the other a late cat & adjustable suspension F40. Neither of the F40s was for sale at the time and the brokers parting words were if you are interested in an F40, I would act quickly as prices are about to start rising again. Wise words.

Roll forward a few months and the search for a F40 was on. At that point, I hadn’t settled completely on the F40, a 288 GTO was also under consideration. Back then, the 288 GTO was the less valuable of the two cars. As values hadn’t gone through the roof yet, dealers would still let you take them out on test drives. It was after test driving a couple of 288 GTOs and F40s that the decision was made to pursue and F40. While the 288 GTO is a very special car, the F40 was the better driver’s car and more of an experience. As special as the 288 GTO is, it does feel a bit like a 328 GTB on steroids. The F40 on the other hand will never be mistaken for anything else.

After looking at a number of different F40s, the one I finally settled on was a very late production, two owner car that had been originally delivered in Rome. The second owner had the car in Germany and I bought it from Eberlein Ferrari in Kassel. The negotiations on the car took several months and were an exercise in patience. We finally agreed the deal which included part exchanging my Ferrari 550 Maranello. The 550 was in Portugal at the time and the plan was to drive it from Lisbon to Kassel, swap it for the F40, and then drive the F40 to Madrid where I had an apartment at the time. The story of that trip is: 1st Four Days in the F40.

After that very memorable 1st trip, we have had a wonderful succession of different experiences with the F40 over the years. A few of the more memorable ones are captured in a few articles posted on karenable including: Return to Maranello with 40 other F40s, Epic Drive Across France, and Across the Alps to Tuscany. Some of the highlights from those trips include being on the track at Mugello with several dozen other F40s, having the Italian police clear traffic for us on the Autostrade, crossing the Alps with temperatures still below freezing in late June, and hustling the F40 down stunning D roads in southern France. There have been numerous other road trips in Spain, Germany, Portugal, France and the UK. The F40 has navigated narrow Welsh B roads, been driven across the moors of Devon, and been driven up a glorified goat path in the Brecon Beacons. It’s also been run across a number of Alpine passes which still rates as some of the most challenging and exhilarating driving I have done in the car. The F40 also featured in one of EVO Magazines more memorable articles when Henry Catchpole and Dean Smith drove it back to the UK from Switzerland for me.
Attached Thumbnails
15 Years with the Ferrari F40-dscn1901.jpg  

SSO is offline   (246) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 09:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 15 Years with the Ferrari F40

I have seen this only in TV programs , what I remember very well is that it's made only to be driven , no creature comforts (not even a door handle) whatsoever, in that sense a true Ferrari before the supercar culture came in and started putting rolls Royce spec interiors inside a sports car.
Kosfactor is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 09:43   #3
BHPian

Holly Molly !
Never in my wildest dream, I thought I will read an F40 ownership review/update in Teambhp.

Thanks for sharing the experience with us mere mortals.
Asish_VK is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 09:56   #4
BHPian

Thanks for sharing that very interesting article.
The F40 has lots of fun memories for me. No not because I ever owned one, but because I fell for that design the moment I received the Indian Auto Journal with an F40 centre-spread, sometime in 1987-88 I think. I requested my mother, who used to paint, to paint me one. Not the road going version. The one that would go "Where no man has gone before". [ Too much Star Trek on a young impressionable mind I guess! ]
Here's the pic attached. And is on display till this day, on my study wall.
Pardon the distraction from your post. Thought this might be of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
15 Years with the Ferrari F40-dsc_7806-copy.jpg  

CLIX is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 09:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A F40 ownership report in Teambhp

Can't wait to see the ownership reports of your other cars. By the way, more pics please.
DicKy is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

What a brilliant read that was! Expecting to see more such posts on your F40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
Pardon the distraction from your post. Thought this might be of interest.
That’s a lovely painting!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:34   #7

Are you by any chance Nico Rosberg's neighbour?

I recently saw his F40 video on YouTube.

Dream car for any petrolhead.

harshil93 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:36   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely to see this post! Your blog is awesome - rarely get to read about these cars from the owners who actually use them. I thought it's Kar-enable till I read the explanation of the name. There is a guy-next-door feel to the blog which is surreal when you consider the cars being discussed!
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:38   #9
BHPian

Man o Man! The F40 is the greatest Ferrari ever and a top 3 Supercar all time. Thanks for sharing this post. Never expected to see a F40 pop up on TBHP.

Agree with the OP's comments. The F40 will never be mistaken for any other Ferrari. My fav angle is the rear with the giant fixed wing and those ultra wide tires.
loki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:50   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I'am sorry an engine rebuild in less than 30,000 miles total running? I would love to read the how and why of this, also more details and pictures would be lovely.
Rocketscience is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 12:21   #11

Growing up I was not a big fan of F40s but after I grew up and started reading more about cars I realized what a crazy car it was. Never expected an ownership review to pop up in teambhp. It makes me really happy to see cars like this being used and enjoyed by their owners. I hope this car stays in your hands forever so that we can read more about your adventures with it here in teambhp. Also please post more pictures and videos of this car and the other vehicles in your collection.
Old 24th December 2021, 12:59   #12
BHPian

@SSO Thank you for sharing your views & ownership of one of the most iconic cars in the history. F40 is a timeless beauty & my personal favorite.

I believe there is one more member going by the name of @Meta on team Bhp who has such rare classics.

Do share some interior pics & views on the manual transmission behavior & feel.
Old 24th December 2021, 14:10   #13
BHPian

Oh my days Christmas has indeed come early! What a way to go into 2022 with a F40 ownership thread and that too on our very own TBHP. So looking forward to your thread.
Brabus E V12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 14:20   #14
BHPian

EPIC ! Only one word can describe this thread . Never in my wildest dreams I wondered that there will be an ownership review of the greatest among all of cars , the mighty F-40 on Team - BHP which I daily view minimum twice a day . It's like feeling that the F-40 came home , so near to us and on our very own T-BHP which is a daily habit to us .
Thank you for sharing such an review over here , never felt her so close in my whole life!
Old 24th December 2021, 14:31   #15
BHPian

Woah, ownership review of the legendary Ferrari F40 on Team-bhp.

One of the greatest of Analogue Ferraris.
Awaiting some more pictures.
dr_TJ is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks