Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 12:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

In era of EVs, Chevrolet offers an oldschool 9.4L V8 petrol engine!

Chevrolet has unveiled the 2022 COPO Camaro. The muscle car comes with three engine options, including a massive 9.4-litre naturally-aspirated V8 petrol engine. This massive big block power unit is said to be General Motor's largest V8 in a car to date.

In era of EVs, Chevrolet offers an oldschool 9.4L V8 petrol engine!-2022chevroletcopocamaro1.jpg

The V8 engine features a cast-iron block with aluminium heads, forged steel crankshafts & connecting rods and forged aluminium pistons. However, even with the massive displacement, the 9.4-litre V8 produces just 430 BHP - making it’s the least powerful unit of the three offered in the 2022 COPO Camaro.

In era of EVs, Chevrolet offers an oldschool 9.4L V8 petrol engine!-2022chevroletcopocamaro2.jpg

The other two power units include a 7.0-litre naturally aspirated V8 producing 470 BHP and a relatively smaller 5.7-litre supercharged V8 churning out 600 BHP. Prices for the 2022 COPO Camaro start from US$ 105,500 for the 'entry-level' 9.4-litre V8 variant and go up to around US$ 130,000 for the supercharged V8 model.

In era of EVs, Chevrolet offers an oldschool 9.4L V8 petrol engine!-2022chevroletcopocamaro3.jpg

Having said that, the COPO Camaro models aren't street legal but can be used on the NHRA's stock and super stock drag race events.

In era of EVs, Chevrolet offers an oldschool 9.4L V8 petrol engine!-2022chevroletcopocamaro4.jpg

The COPO version of the Chevrolet Camaro comes with a carbon-fibre bonnet, wheelie bars and drag race tyres as standard. The top-spec trim with the supercharged V8 also features a parachute, while offered as an option on the lower variants.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 4th August 2021 at 13:01.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 15:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: In era of EVs, Chevrolet offers an oldschool 9.4L V8 petrol engine!

Dont know if the e-Hyper cars (1500-2000HP) need a new battery pack every 2-3 laps, but surely this 9400CC N/A Petrol engine will need a tankful every 2 laps.

PS - not that supercharging or turbocharging this 9.4L is going to increase the stops by a few laps.
Old 4th August 2021, 15:18   #3
BHPian

The only thing I'm interested is how this 9.4L engine sounds on stand by and on full throttle. That could be a music to the ears.
saisree is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 15:39   #4
BHPian

I'm unable to understand the logic here. What is the reason for developing & employing such a big engine in a car when it doesn't produce the maximum power?
And if that same car is offered with other smaller & more powerful engines, then it bewilders me more.

My wild guess was that maybe this engine, even with the lower power, has the best quarter mile timing. But then when I read that it's the entry level engine, and the other engines are more expensive, I again lost myself while trying to figure out an explanation.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:22   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I'm unable to understand the logic here. What is the reason for developing & employing such a big engine in a car when it doesn't produce the maximum power?
And if that same car is offered with other smaller & more powerful engines, then it bewilders me more.
It’s a perfect template to build a drag monster, most drag cars are built to the teams specs and this is meant to cater to that market and not run as stock. There are multiple categories and this will slot into one
howler is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks