Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2021, 11:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6

Hyundai is the latest carmaker to discontinue its V8 engine. According to a media report, the brand's 5.0-litre V8 will be replaced with a smaller turbocharged V6 engine.

Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6-genesisg9011.jpg

Reports suggest that the current-generation Genesis G90 will be the last model in the Hyundai Motor Group (consisting of Hyundai, Kia & Genesis) to feature the V8 engine. The flagship sedan's next-gen iteration, which is expected to be unveiled by end-2021 will debut the smaller turbo-V6 unit.

Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6-genesisg9022.jpg

The current iteration of the V8 engine, powering the Genesis G90, was introduced in 2015. The engine comes in the form of a 5.0-litre naturally-aspirated V8, producing 420 BHP and 520 Nm; making it the most powerful combustion engine in Hyundai's lineup.

Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6-genesisg9044.jpg

This engine will soon be replaced by the brand's newly developed SmartStream 3.5 FR T-GDI engine. The new unit is said to feature dual-injection, central GDI-injection and a water-cooled intercooler. The new turbo-V6 is also said to be capable of producing 374 BHP and 530 Nm.

Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6-genesisg9033.jpg

Alongside the new downsized engine, the next-gen Genesis G90 sedan is also expected to get a fully electric powertrain as well. Reports suggest that Genesis has already trademarked the 'eG90' name for the electric model.

The company has also unveiled a new rear-wheel-drive platform for the G90. This new platform will debut on the next-gen G90 and is said to be capable of supporting both the IC-engine and electrified powertrain options.

The discontinuation of the V8 by Hyundai is in line with the global trend of downsizing engines due to environmental factors. Toyota recently unveiled its new-gen Land Cruiser with a turbo-V6, replacing the V8 from its predecessors.

Source: AutoDahm

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 15th June 2021 at 11:20.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6

Really sucks. Nothing can match the creaminess & sound of a V8. What I feel even worse about is that 99.999% of Indian car enthusiasts have never experienced an 8-cylinder engine because hardly any car has it, and they won't because its a dying breed. Hard to meet emission & cost targets with 8-cylinders, especially when turbo-sixes give you the same power.

6-cylinders are good, but 8 is the sweet spot. The 10 & 12 cylinders are too heavy on the pocket.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 11:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai to discontinue V8s; will replace them with turbo-V6

That's a big disappointment.

My current drive has a V8. And as GTO mentioned above, the thrill and sound of the V8 makes a man giggle like a child.

I have still not found a suitable replacement to my car and that's the main reason I am holding on to it. UAE is a market with plenty of V8 models, but most of them are either SUVs or trucks. Even in SUVs, the V8 ones are either horribly overpriced or not easily available in the used car market.

A newer turbo V6 maybe faster or more fuel efficient, but does not offer the same thrill as a big grumpy V8.

It's hard to find a good sedan with a V8. Now that Hyundai is leaving the scene, I think only the Americans (Ford/Chrysler/Dodge) are still making popular V8 coupe/sedans.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks