Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 18:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade

USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade-img_1392.jpg

Quote:
Despite all the buzz about how electric vehicles will reshape transportation, the real transformation in the auto business has been consumers’ race away from traditional cars and toward so-called light trucks (which include not only pickups but also SUVs and minivans).
Source

As this chart shows, the sedan is now a dying breed. Everyone wants an SUV. Infact, even in India, sub-4m cars which traditionally used to be sedans are slowing moving to sub-4m compact SUVs.

USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade-screenshot-20210215-5.56.00-pm.png

Up until 2013, the cars and light trucks were more or less close in terms of sales numbers. However, post 2013, there was a drastic growth in light trucks and a significant fall in cars' graph.
blackwasp is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade

This is definitely a global trend, and not just an American or Indian thing. But you know what grates my gears? Most of these compact SUVs and SUV wannabes aren't really SUVs, they're just fattened hatchbacks. For instance, I saw the Kona pitched as an SUV. Really, now...

No, giving the car a bit of extra ground clearance does not elevate it into the stratosphere of an SUV. In fact, ironically, most buyers couldn't care less for the key features of an SUV; 4WD, locking differentials, and what not.

And that's fine, really. It's a free market. But these soft-roaders have neither the driving dynamics or (in my eyes), good looks and classic proportions of a sedan, or the robust, go anywhere nature of a true SUV (which, for the record, I define as cars like the Thar, Fortuner, and Endeavor). In fact, I'd go so far as saying most of these new-age SUVs are just plain V's, because they're certainly not sporty and not all that utilitarian. They are vehicles though, I'll give them that.

The cars that are so wildly popular these days befuddle me a bit, because they have extra weight, higher prices, and worse handling than the comparative sedan. Why people want to get high, I will never know.

A friend of mine recently was shopping in the 15-20 lakh range, and had categorically ruled out sedans from his shortlist, and I respected that. But try as we might, we could not get the right car for him, even after extending to about 22 lakhs. For all you curious cats out there, he wanted a car that was safe, spacious enough to seat a family of 4, a comfortable grand tourer, reliable, and reasonable to maintain, with a nice engine under the hood paired to a proven, smooth automatic that's nice-to-drive.

We saw everything from the Seltos (not safe enough), to the Compass (great, but über pricey), to the Harrier (gorgeous and near perfect, but big question marks over long-term ownership and build quality), and the Creta (too damn ugly), and nothing sat right. What he did go for finally was the City, because it did suit his requirements to the hilt. And I didn't even have to club him over the head repeatedly with sedan shaped arguments for him to see the light.

I get his reasons for initially knocking sedans off his list, and there are millions more like him. But these high-roofed hatchbacks riding high can’t make it through flood water much better than most other cars. Cars like the Ecosport are the exception to this rule. Most of these SUVs will just go nope at the first sign of a road vanishing into nothingness. That's the simple truth, and that does not an SUV make.

I will defend the sedan with my dying breath, and it is a hill I am prepared to die on, even if my lowly sedan won't clear it on account of lack of ground clearance. Such is the life of a sedan lover.
iliketurtles is offline   (106) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
This is definitely a global trend, and not just an American or Indian thing. But you know what grates my gears? Most of these compact SUVs and SUV wannabes aren't really SUVs, they're just fattened hatchbacks. For instance, I saw the Kona pitched as an SUV. Really, now....
I will defend the sedan with my dying breath, and it is a hill I am prepared to die on, even if my lowly sedan won't clear it on account of lack of ground clearance. Such is the life of a sedan lover.
Bang on point.

Everybody wants a giant hatchback.

People aren't willing to pay for a premium hatch like Golf or i30. Crossovers that do the exact same thing are fine.

The Tata Safari turning from a real SUV to an FWD crossover was an absolute slap on the face.

And look at the numbers!

Creta, Seltos, Compass, Harrier, etc are all in the same price bracket as some really good sedans. These pretend SUVs are flying off the shelves while sedans barely sell.

Right now, we have the Honda City and Skoda Octavia as two good options. You don't want a crossover, buy a sedan.

But in the future, with numbers this low, manufacturers might simply not develop sedans in this range. And that's when people like us will run out of options.

Real SUVs and sedans are becoming inaccessible.

And have you seen how people talk about these vehicles? Many think these are capable SUVs simply because they are able to kick up dust while on an unpaved road.

Last edited by SDP : 16th February 2021 at 07:20. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post and not the entire long post
ss212 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One could call SUVs as raised hatchbacks or Sedans as hatchbacks with Boot. One could argue that a sedan can accomodate more luggage or an SUV can carry more bulky items like a washing machine. The debate is endless.

In the beginning all automobiles were high riding, quite tall. Then someone came up with a stepped down Chassis, which allowed a lower roofline and we have our sedan shape , a low slung design in general.

Now we are going back up high a bit for better visibility, ingress and egress, practicality of an estate car , the ability to keep your bumper and running board mostly intact etc, all in one SUV shape

And it's more profitable for those who make it , everyone is happy just about - Get used to it is all I can say.

Or is it?

Why on earth has Honda not given the City a turbo engine , DCT , nice looking wheels and a better sporty looking body? From a favorite of youth at one point city has become a whiny CVT equipped family car, and honda does not have a Creta to sell either.

Sedans are over - for now.
Kosfactor is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 22:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss212 View Post
People aren't willing to pay for a premium hatch like Golf or i30. Crossovers that do the exact same thing are fine.
Very true, but I can at least begin to understand the rationale for it. The Polo GTI was launched at about 23 lakhs on the road, before being deep-discounted to 19 lakhs at the end of its run. Could you imagine how much a Golf GTI would cost? No one in their right mind would pick one at about 35 lakhs on the road versus say a Fortuner, Endeavor, or whatever else you want to pit against it.

Quote:
The Tata Safari turning from a real SUV to an FWD crossover was an absolute slap on the face.
Damn. I missed this point completely. Tata really did do the Safari nameplate a disservice with this move.

Quote:
Creta, Seltos, Compass, Harrier, etc are all in the same price bracket as some really good sedans. These pretend SUVs are flying off the shelves while sedans barely sell.
Too true. My aforementioned buddy stretched to 22 lakhs, realised nothing did it for him, and went home happy with the City at about 17 lakhs. Even GTO's bro is savvy, picking the Superb over an SUV. That thing is rapid (no pun intended) with the 2.0 TSI, and is far more capable and luxurious than any crossover at that price point. Frankly I'd buy it for that engine alone, the comfort and features are just a cherry on a Skoda shaped ice cream.

Quote:
And have you seen how people talk about these vehicles? Many think these are capable SUVs simply because they are able to kick up dust while on an unpaved road.
I have indeed, with mild bemusement. But let's be honest, these kind of cars have only come about because there was a need or latent demand for them. That, and a masterclass in mass marketing, have seen them explode as they have. Heck, I know of guys that took their X1's/X3's into deeply waterlogged parts of Mumbai and barely make it out without hydrostatic lock kicking in. Manufacturers will keep dubbing their cars SUVs so long as people are willing to buy into it, and buy them. And that's not going to stop anytime soon.
iliketurtles is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 22:24   #6
BHPian

US is the birthplace of muscle cars. And nothing shows muscle in the current times like SUVs or faux pass SUVs. Visited the country twice and could see mostly trucks and butch cars all around. So not surprised with the stats or the news.

Last edited by warrioraks : 15th February 2021 at 22:25.
warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 22:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Sedan is the most inefficient form factor among cars. A sedan's cabin size and boot volume can be achieved with a much smaller hatchback or SUV.

I'm surprised it took humans so many decades to realize this. Anyone watching us from a distant planet would be scratching their head because of sedan's existence on our roads.

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th February 2021 at 22:56.
SmartCat is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 23:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Sedan is the most inefficient form factor among cars. A sedan's cabin size and boot volume can be achieved with a much smaller hatchback or SUV.

I'm surprised it took humans so many decades to realize this. Anyone watching us from a distant planet would be scratching their head because of sedan's existence on our roads.
Car is not a storage bin. Sedans score better when it comes to safety, speed and NVH.

Sedans will continue to be offered at the premium end of the spectrum.

Last edited by androdev : 15th February 2021 at 23:06.
androdev is online now   (58) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 06:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, the death of the low slung sedan in the Indian market was inevitable. Poor road infrastructure, and unscientific speed breakers mean the sedan owner is constantly faced with challenges when navigating such territory. If you happen to have a sedan with a long wheelbase, the cringe is more than just that of metal. I had an Ikon in Bangalore, and on one occasion the heat shield was damaged owing to a speedbreaker gone wrong. Needless to say, my next car in Bangalore was not a sedan.

As for popularity of the "SUVs", I believe it was owing to the challenge of being able to fit in multiple child seats in developed markets, and the relative ease of being able to buckle in a child into a SUV over a sedan. Imagine the practical difficulty involved in crouching to do this task in a sedan, versus standing and reaching over to do this in a SUV. I feel that this, along with the bigger car and hence safer feel is what led to the popularity of SUVs. Add urban parking woes into the picture, and then manufacturers shrunk the large SUV to pretend it satisfies more than one need. Enter the compact SUV.
benbsb29 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 07:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Sedan is the most inefficient form factor among cars.
From the practical point of view of an Indian driver, you are absolutely right. But I would not stretch this to as far as aliens, I bet some of them love their sleek, better-handling, faster and low-flying UFOs just as much. They probably don't lug around all their inter-galactic cargo in their ginormous trunks as they spy on us. What I fail to apprehend, however, is the reason why most US families feel that they need to buy larger vehicles. I feel it is more of a complacency trend rather than a utilitarian one.

Would Indians buy more sedans if they had better roads like those in the US? Well, I know I would. Provided that they include all the goodies they've been putting into our Compact-SUVs nowadays. But of course, if you get your kicks from buying the popular product or enjoy playing 'king of the road', the sedan is not for you.
lonetraveller89 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The West, the driver of automotive trends, has been relentlessly punishing fast sedans. Speed limits, insurance premiums, taxes, violation penalties and so on. You will know how suffocating this is only if you have familiarity with the West. This takes away the key attraction to buy a sedan. CSUVs are lot more practical if you don't have an opportunity to enjoy the advantages of a sedan.

Ironically, Indian highways are improving at a phenomenal pace and one can actually enjoy driving without the law breathing down your neck. Indian cities, otoh, are so hopeless that espresso might win the most suitable car award. It will just need to be delivered from the factory with scratched and dented panels.

I feel sedans will continue to exist in the premium segment and they are actually subsidised by the folks paying premium for CSUVs. Superb vs Kodiaq is a good example for me and this pattern exists across all brands.
androdev is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

I personally do not prefer a sedan, but, if road infrastructure permits, I will prefer a sedan over any compact / pseudo SUV any which day.

I was casually checking Team-BHP on my mobile phone seated in the rear seat of a new Honda City, felt special, much more special than any SUV priced around that figure.

Pit one similar priced SUV against a sedan [the ones below 70 / 80L] and the sedan will continue to have an advantage, till an unscientific designed speed breaker comes up.
Sheel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Most of these compact SUVs and SUV wannabes aren't really SUVs, they're just fattened hatchbacks.
I agree with you and share most of the gripes you have called out.

Quote:
Why people want to get high, I will never know.
The post by benbsb quite nicely summarizes the reality and answers this question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
IMHO, the death of the low slung sedan in the Indian market was inevitable. Poor road infrastructure, and unscientific speed breakers mean the sedan owner is constantly faced with challenges when navigating such territory. If you happen to have a sedan with a long wheelbase, the cringe is more than just that of metal.
So true!
In the last eight months, two unscientific speed breakers have been erected within a kilometer of my residence. Anybody and everybody seems to be able to add speed-breakers at will anytime and anywhere. One of them is so tall that every time I need to navigate it, I need to slow down to a crawl, and navigate it at an angle to avoid scraping my low slung sedan.
In a total of about four kilometers of commute from home to work, I navigate over at least six speed breakers/bumps. It pains me deeply each time I ride over a speed-breaker/bump and what I put my dear car through every day as part of my commute.
While only a sedan defined a "real car" for me for a long time, with each passing day, the practical difficulties of living with a sedan are slowly pushing me to consider a vehicle with a high ground clearance for my next ride, whenever that might be.
Quote:
In fact, I'd go so far as saying most of these new-age SUVs are just plain V's, because they're certainly not sporty and not all that utilitarian. They are vehicles though, I'll give them that.
And, yes, I am considering my next ride as a "vehicle" and not a "car"

Last edited by FlashMustang : 16th February 2021 at 08:44.
FlashMustang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:55   #14
BHPian

Idea for sedan marketeers: Just rebrand them as ‘LSUV’ (Low-SUV), make outdoorsy ads of them wading waters and leaf piles, show every big movie celebrity driving or getting out of them, and, PROFIT!
museycal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:10   #15
BHPian

I have a feeling that once all the sedans eventually vanish, and fuel prices keep going up, like they are, someone is going to start comparing mileages again. The "kitna deti hai" crowd is going to be back, and the low CoD of the Sedans and the premiumness associated with the sedan, on top of the good roads that we will have in a few years, might bring some sedans back. In a good way too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I feel sedans will continue to exist in the premium segment and they are actually subsidised by the folks paying premium for CSUVs. Superb vs Kodiaq is a good example for me and this pattern exists across all brands.
This is such an amazing point,

Despite rolls coming up with the cullinan and the GLS getting a maybach version, I have a feeling that luxury sedans will continue to sell. And when people start associating a sedan with premium brand like them, some of us might create a demand for them further down the food chain.

We have always had a sedan in the garage, and an SUV for the past 7 years. I long to drive the sedan every single day but the way the maddening traffic treats a sedan, as opposed to a big SUV really makes me drive the SUV move. IDK about other cities but Hyderabad has luckily never had roads that terrible. Hardly scrape the sedan anywhere except when travelling with a few passengers.
viXit is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks