Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 12:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade

Well I for one still am in love more with Sedans more than SUVs. Currently we have a Skoda Laura Diesel (2012) and the pre facelift Jeep Compass Diesel (2017).
The Laura even in spite of being 9 years, is much better than the JC in several areas:

1) The mileage : It gives 18-19kmpl in mixed cycle usage and upto 25kmpl on highways. In terms of responsiveness and tuning, it is better than the Jeep Compass and is also faster in 0-100 and takes around 10.5 sec while the Jeep Compass takes 11.5 Sec (Approx)

2) The Boot space : I have been saying this repeatedly that SUV manufacturers are misquoting the boot space offered in their cars.
The Laura has 550L of boot space and in reality as measured by me it is over 500L. The spare wheel is also properly embedded in a spare wheel well. This leads to no space wastage in the boot. It can accommodate :
4 full size Luggage bags + 3 Medium size bags + 2 duffel bags
The Jeep Compass on the other hand, claims a boot space of 440L (as I recall) but of that the boot space, the Spare tyre (which does not have a proper wheel well and the whole spare rises substantially outside of it, thereby wasting all the side space under the boot floor) takes away almost 110L . The actual measured boot space of the Jeep Compass is less than 330L .
You can only accommodate 1 Large Luggage + 2 medium Luggage + 2 Duffel bags
Anyone who has owned a Laura/ Octavia/ Superb knows just how spacious the Boots of these cars are!
Another important feature of these cars is the Notchback or Sportback tailgate which adds a lot to the usable boot space. This is a much better design compared to typical sedans.

3) The Ride quality : The Laura's ride quality and composure is far ahead of the Jeep Compass as it is much lower to the ground and more stable. My 13 year old son (since the age of 4) never gets nausea in the Laura but starts getting Nauseated in the Compass very quickly, even on plain roads.
Cars travelling low to the ground have lesser rolling movement so are better.
Also, I have never faced ground clearance issues with my Laura inspite of taking it to all sorts of village areas. It has a tighter suspension which has bottomed only once in 9 years on a very tall speed breaker constructed at a railway crossing somewhere in rural Haryana.

Honestly if you ask me, the ideal car for me would be a Sedan, with a Sportback design and slightly raised Ground clearance (180-190mm unladen) and a great turbo Diesel engine (mileage 17-18 kmpl) mated with a decent CVT. Boot space needs to be at least 500L (actual measured).
Interiors wise it should ideall be able to seat 5 in comfort (with a flat floorboard)
Now I only wish manufacturers would give me what I want, but in the current market there just are no options! I wish Manufacturers could hear me.
And on the price - it should be 15-17 lacs on road

And here is what it looks like
USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade-2021audiq5sportbackcoupe5.jpg

Incidentally, the new Skoda Rapid (the one launched in Russia) would fit my requirements closely, but I tweeted to Zac Hollis to check if it is coming to India, but he replied that it will not be launched in India and India will get a new MQB-A0 based sedan in the year 2022.

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th February 2021 at 12:29.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 01:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I hear you since I own one.
Subie wave to a fellow owner (excuse me for the cringe)

You're right about the fact that WRX is no flag bearer for sedans, and how the Mazda works better for a comfortable hauler.

You're right on point with the 'equipment' 'want' as well. It's just psychology at this point that, if you can have the extra space, extra comfort, extra utility, then why would you not want to have it, even though your necessities get well satisfied with an econobox sedan. And when you're trying to decide between 'want' vs 'need', want usually wins a psychological battle.

At the end of the day, it really is "to each, his own"
ruchiragrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 10:49   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

A practical design with squared off corners, more space, more headroom, more shoulder-room, more ground clearance and practical luggage space? Why not?

Sedans with their mile long proportions yet having worst ever space-management always were in danger of extinction, now their time has come, how long can they sell for just looks only? German sedans are truly horrible when it comes to space management, the 3 Series and 5 Series (E/F models) had as much space as a hatchback and poor headroom, all sedans overall have extremely low-slung seating which isn't that convenient.

I'd say if one wants an all-in-one luxury car that seats 4, the Q3 (pick of the pack) or X1 will be the go-to options. Venue and Sonet are any day better picks than i20 or Baleno, even though they may have slightly quirky, boxy styling and not the smooth, aerodynamic proportions of hatchbacks. Creta, Seltos and T-Roc are any day, better buys than say City, Verna or Vento/Rapid, all in terms of practicality and people moving, of course.

If you want a car for drivability, smooth cornering, stability etc, yes, C and D segment sedans still are a must-have, I speak from experience, I love driving sedans, but its also refreshing to just walk-into a tall car and drive with great visibility, all-round and not worry about the massive craters and mountains that exist on the roads.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 15:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchiragrawal View Post
Subie wave to a fellow owner (excuse me for the cringe)
At the end of the day, it really is "to each, his own"
Happy to wave to a fellow Subie owner. The USA has much bigger Subie cult than anywhere. I actually envy that. Enjoy.

Also, let the companies sell the SUVs/Crossovers so they have the money to build niche cars like WRX or the BRZ/GT 86. That's what Porsche and Lambo said to justify their entry into the SUV segment.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:09   #50
Team-BHP Support

Globally, I believe it was the RAV-4 that started the concept of a crossover that was fun. I still remember seeing this as a kid and it felt aspirational and aimed at the young crowd.

USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade-toytoarav4199610_wdp11.jpg

Now, this is what we get dished out by the same manufacturer.

USA: The death of the sedan is the biggest car trend of the decade-yariscrossmy21gxl1001x5651_wdp11.jpg
Old 10th May 2021, 11:30   #51
BHPian

Another reason for the steady decline in the sales of sedans is because cars are no longer "only" about driving dynamics, at least in a growing economy like India. A car is still a lifetime achievement for most car buyers and buyers want more out of their cars than just driving dynamics or even safety. Buyers would love to have those two extra seats to make it a 5+2 seater or extra boot space of estate styled CSUV for those airport trips. Combined with the higher ground clearance to stay clear of those unscientific speed breakers, the only advantage an average buyer has with a sedan is the driving dynamics, which he is willing to forego.
Except for enthusiasts I don't see the regular car buyer leaning towards sedan over CSUVs in our market. So the death of our beloved sedan is inevitable.
knshailender is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks