Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 11:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift

The Toyota Camry has received a mid-cycle update. The car gets minor cosmetic changes on the outside and a few updates on the inside.

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-20201124023253_2021toyotacamryhybridfront.jpg

On the exterior, the Camry gets redesigned front and rear bumpers, new design 17-inch and 18-inch alloy wheel options and updated LED tail lamps.

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-20201124023253_2021toyotacamryhybridrear.jpg

On the inside, the Camry comes with a larger 9.0-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit in place of the old 8.0-inch unit. The system is said to have better response times thanks to a new software.

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-20201124023258_2021toyotacamryhybridinterior.jpg

In Europe, the Camry is offered with the same 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol-hybrid engine as the outgoing model. It produces 215 BHP and 221 Nm and comes paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

The car is equipped with a long list of safety aides including lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, road sign assist, intersection turn assist to name a few.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift

This looks even better! The reworked bumper design, and the alloys look beautiful. Looks more 'executive class' or sophisticated than 'sporty'
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:15   #3

The vehicle is lovely to drive, although for some reason beyond me, Toyota doesn't seem to have gotten their supply chain right.

I took a test drive of the Camry last year, guided by one of the senior sales managers at the dealer. The gentleman was very well spoken, but he told me that there's a 4-6 month waiting window on the car.

This is especially strange since the car doesn't seem to be moving in large numbers. Perhaps the Indian market is not a priority for a car in this segment for Toyota.
apocalypse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:47   #4
sgm
BHPian

Looks way better than the current generation and though subtle, the changes are tastefully done. Hopefully Android Auto/Apple Car play will also be added, which is missing in the current Indian version.

My wish is that Toyota will bring their NA V6 engine along with the Hybrid line-up and I can fulfill the dream of owning an easy to maintain V6
Old 27th November 2020, 13:45   #5
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Toyota's website still shows the existing Camry. Is the facelift launched officially in India? That infotainment system is of particular interest to me as we're looking to get the Camry.

Cheers
Old 27th November 2020, 14:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Toyota's website still shows the existing Camry. Is the facelift launched officially in India? That infotainment system is of particular interest to me as we're looking to get the Camry.
It is expected to launch sometime in 2021 for India. Hasn’t yet been launched in India.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 18:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

It's a great car but honestly it's way too overpriced for our markets and the sheer size of it is not all suited for our roads. The camry started as a compact car and was made bigger with each iteration and is now aimed at the American and GCC markets where bigger is always associated with better.

People buy long german sedans mainly for the prestige associated with it and they put up with the annoyances of a long car unsuited for our roads because it just adds to the image they want to portray. A long toyota on the other hand, just falls short of the mark especially when its placed in the same-ish price range.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
the sheer size of it is not all suited for our roads.

... the American and GCC markets where bigger is always associated with better.

People buy long german sedans mainly for the prestige associated with it and they put up with the annoyances of a long car unsuited for our roads because it just adds to the image they want to portray. A long toyota on the other hand, just falls short of the mark especially when its placed in the same-ish price range.
I think perhaps you are juxtaposing your perceived reality on the rest of the population at large. For many people, the extra length of the car is what gives them the level of seating comfort they desire from their car. What is “too long” is relative. I would have no problem using a Camry length car as my ride for 90% of the time. My mum on the other hand refused to consider buying a Jazz in favour of the i10 because she preferred the more compact dimensions of the i10 over the “too large” Jazz. Many places where I would think about not taking a big car, the reality is I would not take a small car there either.

In the case of the Camry, people may actually give up on having a luxury badge like that of a C or 3 “in favour” of the larger specs of the Camry. Because the back seat comfort of the Camry is simply head and shoulders above the back seat comfort of the C or 3.
Axe77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 15:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think perhaps you are juxtaposing your perceived reality on the rest of the population at large.

Ah but if a comfortable family car is what you are going for, I would say most would just choose the tried and true Innova rather than spending 44 lakhs on the overpriced camry. After all, why spend more money that's basically just going to taxes rather on improving the car? At the very least, they should have brought in the 6 cylinder engine if they wanted it to be a viable choice.

Last edited by ampere : 28th November 2020 at 16:28. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 28th November 2020, 17:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah but if a comfortable family car is what you are going for, I would say most would just choose the tried and true Innova rather than spending 44 lakhs on the overpriced camry.
Is the Camry overpriced? Yes.
Does it mean it doesn’t make sense for anyone. No.
You are basically recommending another massively overpriced car (Innova) in lieu of the Camry. By that logic, why not the Marazzo instead of the Innova (which in turn is instead of the Camry). Even more value for money, isn’t it.

The fact is, (if hypothetically I was choosing): I would enjoy driving a Camry anytime I had to. I would absolutely not want to drive the Innova at all. If I had other reasons to buy an Innova that is another matter, but I would not buy an Innova merely for the comfort it offers, if I was in the market fundamentally for a luxury sedan.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th November 2020 at 17:46.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 18:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

This looks very good indeed. I was seriously eyeing this one sometime in March , just before the lock down. I did a test drive too of the current model and my family and I came back mighty impressed. The back seat comfort was at a much different level comparted to our Innova Crysta. The cabin was super silent inside and the car had some surprising accelerations and handling. Between the Innova and the Camry, this one is a clear winner in terms of comforts, and the looks and road presence too.

I will wait for their India launch.
jkrishnakj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 19:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I've seen the older version i.e. the one before the mid life facelift and trust me it's interiors are no more the plasticky looking Jap sedan but leans more to the Euro side of styling and get up making the Camry look like a really premium sedan. The were tempting me to buy it with a small discount last December when I took my car for a service. Discounts are rare for a Toyota but I balked at the ever increasing prices of these machines. The game was between the Camry hybrid, Fortuner, (wife swears by the T badge) and while I have had my eyes on the 330i. Different beasts and yeah they are tempting in their own ways. If it has to be a T it has to be the Camry, their styling has improved big time. Yeah, I like. And then 2020 happened so it's back to square one.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 20:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Camry overpriced? Yes.
Does it mean it doesn’t make sense for anyone. No.
You are basically recommending another massively overpriced car (Innova) in lieu of the Camry. By that logic, why not the Marazzo instead of the Innova (which in turn is instead of the Camry). Even more value for money, isn’t it.
In the outside market, the camry is priced below the Innova, atleast the ones without the v6 engine. Considering this, if you regard the innova here as massively overpriced when the camry is priced almost double that, isn't really helping the case for the camry

Quote:
The fact is, (if hypothetically I was choosing): I would enjoy driving a Camry anytime I had to. I would absolutely not want to drive the Innova at all. If I had other reasons to buy an Innova that is another matter, but I would not buy an Innova merely for the comfort it offers, if I was in the market fundamentally for a luxury sedan.
This is true, the camry drives better and is more luxurious. However, the previous case you made for the camry against everything else in that price range was that comfort and family use was the end all. If we are taking driving feel and luxury into account as well, then all the skodas and jaguars and volovs and bmws and mercs etc all start coming into play and while the camry drives better than the innova, it's still a wooden feeling toyota that doesn't come close to the driving experience of any of these, nor does it match them in the luxury offered. I would say that you can make a case for any of them in exchange for slightly worse rear seat comfort. In the foreign markets, the camry would at least have the advantage of being cheaper, which isn't present here.
Old 28th November 2020, 22:16   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the foreign markets, the camry would at least have the advantage of being cheaper, which isn't present here.
Enjoy your Innova buddy. I cant be bothered to take the 2021 Camry thread any more off topic by discussing it against its direct alternative - the clearly superior Crysta.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th November 2020 at 22:28.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 22:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Enjoy your Innova buddy. I don’t want to take the 2021 Camry thread any more off topic by discussing it against its direct alternative - the clearly superior Crysta.
Well, if you conveniently ignore all the other sedans from the brands mentioned in favour of vaguely defined rear seat comfort along with driving feel and luxury that apparently only matters when you compare it to an MPV. But let's just agree to disagree because in the end, everyone's tastes are unique and there must be something about the camry that you like and I don't.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks