Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2020, 00:20   #16
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Ah but if a comfortable family car is what you are going for, I would say most would just choose the tried and true Innova rather than spending 44 lakhs on the overpriced camry. After all, why spend more money that's basically just going to taxes rather on improving the car? At the very least, they should have brought in the 6 cylinder engine if they wanted it to be a viable choice.

I know this isn't directed towards me but pls allow me to explain the rationale why people could possibly pick Camry over it's clearly more luxurious and snobbish counterparts.

We also happen to own a 2014 Innova which has done 1.3 Lakh kms till now. The single biggest hatred I have in the Innova is it's hopeless low speed ride quality on Bombay roads - I find it bone jarring, Aside from that, the vehicle has been supremely reliable and true to its "Toyota & reliable" image. The famed Toyota service is not perfect but still is better than the most. That, coupled with reasonable spare parts prices, Toyota does make a strong case for itself.

My parents would love to have a German car for the perceived luxury status but every time I have sat in one of those and compared the ride quality & overall back seat comfort, I found Camry hard to beat. Primary reason being that my parents (nearing 70yrs) are only chauffeur driven. Don't get me wrong, until a few years back, I used to dream of getting a BMW sedan as a family car (hardcore BMW lover you see ) & everytime I drive the 3 & 5, I used to go mad at the delight of driving it! However, the traffic and driving manners in Bombay have completely sucked out all the joy of driving that I had so much so that I no longer look forward to driving in India.

From that standpoint, the Camry makes quite a bit of sense (to me) even though it is priced very steeply. You won't believe, our driver calls me for services of the Innova when he's at the service centre and makes me speak with the advisor (benefits of whatsapp calls haha) no matter whichever country I am in. So, I don't get any surprises in the service bills! This was impossible with say a Skoda that we owned or even our Civic (which is 11yrs old now).

I agree with every bit that Camry is stupendously overpriced which is why I've been sitting on the fence for nearly 2 yrs and have finally decided to go ahead. But with backseat comfort and ease of service being primary criteria, it is hard to find an alternative. If you do, pls suggest - I'm all ears!

If you made it till here, thanks for reading and boy do you have some patience

Cheers!
RJK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 07:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift

Toyota have upped the game with the Camry and it is getting too close for comfort to the Lexus ES!! I say this as a owner of a Lexus and as someone who has driven the new Camry {my B-i-L owns one}and owned {through my ex-business} the old Camry. Lexus had better up the game or else Camry will eat into some of its share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
This looks even better! The reworked bumper design, and the alloys look beautiful. Looks more 'executive class' or sophisticated than 'sporty'
+1 to that. These looks are a great improvement over the earlier looks.
Quote:
It's a great car but honestly it's way too overpriced for our markets and the sheer size of it is not all suited for our roads.
People buy long german sedans mainly for the prestige associated with it and they put up with the annoyances of a long car unsuited for our roads because it just adds to the image they want to portray. A long toyota on the other hand, just falls short of the mark especially when its placed in the same-ish price range.
You make interesting points of debate but allow me to state that you assume that your perspective is universal. It isn't. Each of us has a perspective, a pocket of varying size and a comfort with what is long. Your view applies to you and is valid for you but not for the universe of buyers.
Quote:
In the outside market, the camry is priced below the Innova, atleast the ones without the v6 engine. Considering this, if you regard the innova here as massively overpriced when the camry is priced almost double that, isn't really helping the case for the camry
The price in USA or Japan has no relevance to me as I live in India and need to buy what is sold here at taxes applicable here. This is like saying 'oh how I wished I lived in Dubai with zero tax instead of shelling out 42% to Govt of India here'.
Quote:
This is true, the camry drives better and is more luxurious. However, the previous case you made for the camry against everything else in that price range was that comfort and family use was the end all. If we are taking driving feel and luxury into account as well, then all the skodas and jaguars and volovs and bmws and mercs etc all start coming into play and while the camry drives better than the innova, it's still a wooden feeling toyota that doesn't come close to the driving experience of any of these, nor does it match them in the luxury offered. I would say that you can make a case for any of them in exchange for slightly worse rear seat comfort. In the foreign markets, the camry would at least have the advantage of being cheaper, which isn't present here.
You forget about reliability, after sales, availability of parts, attitude to after sales etc Many could afford a Merc or BMW but never go for it. For some rear seat comfort, leg room, cabin quietness are the priorities!
V.Narayan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:44   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Much nicer looking than the Camry's current & ugly face.

I never thought I'd say this about a Camry, but I actually enjoyed driving it ! This generation of the car is more "Lexus with a Toyota badge" than its ever been. A truly luxurious car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post
Looks way better than the current generation
It's the same generation (this is just a facelift).

Quote:
It's a great car but honestly it's way too overpriced for our markets
I will say it's as overpriced as other same-price sedans. For most people, a Camry makes a lot more sense than a C-Class.

Quote:
Ah but if a comfortable family car is what you are going for, I would say most would just choose the tried and true Innova
I absolutely love the captain seat Innova. That said, the Camry is way more refined + luxurious + has a sofa of a back seat. The Camry's low speed / city ride quality is also better.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 12:54   #19
BHPian

Nice subtle update to a car that already looked great.

Any idea if the price been increased? Typically Toyota would not leave such an opportunity.
Old 30th November 2020, 19:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
This is especially strange since the car doesn't seem to be moving in large numbers. Perhaps the Indian market is not a priority for a car in this segment for Toyota.
For Toyota, the USA will always be the No 1 market in terms of priority for the Camry. I think last year they sold close to 30,000 Camry's per month in the US excluding Canada and Mexico.
Although the Chinese market is also giving Toyota very good volumes, the "street-cred" and "snob appeal" an OEM enjoys of having a best seller iin the Amercian market, is something else!
Old 30th November 2020, 19:46   #21
BHPian

I can attest to the fact that the Camry isn't just another overpriced Toyota. Had the chance to drive the Camry Hybrid for 600 odd kilometres along the baltic roads. This was the first time I actually enjoyed a Hybrid and CVT combination. So smooth and so comfortable was the camry that even a B9 genereation Audi A4 2.0 TDi Ultra felt too normal. In Europe, brand snobbery doesn't directly translate to desirability factor. Especially not when it comes to a hybrid Toyota! The Camry Hybrid felt like a dream. Big, comfortable, smooth, no nonsense and although the size was big, it was never a pain to park or drive in the tightest of cramped old Eurpean cities (some of which had only one way to go in and out of. No place to turn around.) This facelift will definitely increase the desirability factor to the people who would still choose the Camry over the so called "high end" German brands just for the sake of snobbery.

Last edited by aveoman19 : 30th November 2020 at 19:48. Reason: Typo
aveoman19 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 11:19   #22

What most of us overlook is that states like West Bengal charge 1% showroom value each year as road tax. For a 58 lakh car it is 60000/year and since these cars dont do much more than 6000 km a year that's 10/km just sitting in your parking slot. If you add German maintenance costs and attitude, petrol, repairs and accessories, the car costs is 100/km. Toyota costs about a third for many of the mod-cons.
Old 1st December 2020, 18:59   #23
BHPian

We have loved the current gen Camry every time we see it in the Apartment Parking. The facelift just takes it to another level. Now the question is Price point because I personally feel this car has a lot of potential in the Indian Context if priced a bit aggressively by big T.
Would look forward to the Official Launch and Price announcement.
Old 15th December 2020, 20:01   #24
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Folks - Anyone have any idea when this facelift is expected? I'm asking the dealers in Bombay and they say Toyota hasn't given any indication, could be Q2. We're almost finalised on the vehicle but I don't want to buy it now & regret later if Toyota releases the facelift in Q1 itself.

Also, because Toyota doesn't hold any inventory of the car, they're offering 0 discounts; only dealers are waiving off their rubbish Auxiliary charges & Depot charges, so notional discount of 1L INR. Supposedly a great deal, according to them! Also, they claim there's going to be a price in January, again supposedly Toyota does it beginning of every year

Pls, if anyone has a clue about the facelift, pls let me know or else I'll have a very expensive buyer's remorse.

Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 20:02   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Camry’s mid-life facelift spied in Indonesia. Won’t be long before it makes it to India shores.

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-0250d746212742438cbe3c550e51a46b.jpeg

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-fd8425336e5c4e36b04dab792fbb3bd3.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Facelifted Toyota Camry goes on sale in the UK from £32,260.

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-1_toyota_camry.jpg

The entry-level Design trim is priced from £32,260. Top-spec Excel cars cost from £34,830

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 09:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Toyota Camry review Link

Quote:
Updated big saloon offers plenty for the money and has gained a better infotainment system
Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-1toyotacamry2021fdfronttrack_0.jpg

Quote:
It’s a surprisingly nice car with more space and equipment than anyone else is offering for the price, as well as impressive economy.
Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-6toyotacamry2021fddashboard.jpg

Quote:
It uses a 176bhp 2.5-litre petrol engine up front, driving the wheels together with an electric motor in a planetary gearset. That means it acts as a CVT and produces system power of 215bhp.
Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-13toyotacamry2021fdengine.jpg

Quote:
The Toyota Camry is still a lot of car for the money. Design trim costs £32,260, rising to £34,830 for the Excel

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th September 2021 at 09:09.
Old 3rd November 2021, 13:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota has ended UK sales of the Camry, just two months after launching the updated version.

Toyota Camry gets a mid-cycle facelift-16toyotacamry2021fdfronthero.jpg

Quote:
The hybrid-only model still appears on Toyota's UK website but is unavailable to be configured. It also doesn't feature on the brand's most recent price list
Quote:
Toyota's most recent sales figures show that in the nine months to October 2021, the Camry accounted for just 271 of the 63,403 cars it sold in the UK
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd November 2021 at 13:52.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 10:13   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

New Toyota Camry launching soon in India!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  14.9 KB

Source: Toyota India

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th January 2022 at 10:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks