Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2019, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

SUVs are 2nd highest contributor to rise in CO2 emissions

According to a report by the International Energy Agency, SUVs are the second-highest contributor to the increase in global carbon dioxide emissions since 2010.

SUVs are 2nd highest contributor to rise in CO2 emissions-2016toyotafortuner01.jpg

The report states that SUVs comprise of 40% of the total annual car sales. The figure stood at less than 20% a decade ago. This has resulted in the carbon dioxide emissions from SUVs increasing by nearly 0.55 Gt during the last decade to around 0.7 Gt. The increase in emissions from SUVs is behind the power sector, but ahead of heavy industries, trucks, aviation and shipping. Carbon dioxide emissions from other internal combustion engine cars has decreased.

The report also states that between 2010 and 2018, SUVs were responsible for increasing the oil demand from passenger cars by 3.3 million barrels a day. SUVs are said to consume a quarter more energy than medium-size cars.

SUVs are 2nd highest contributor to rise in CO2 emissions-co2-emissions.jpg

SUVs are 2nd highest contributor to rise in CO2 emissions-share-suvs.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by ChiragM : 22nd October 2019 at 12:28.
ChiragM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:09   #2
BHPian

Re: SUVs are 2nd highest contributor to rise in CO2 emissions

Interesting!

For India, however, I wonder what yardsticks they have used to categorise SUVs. I hope they haven't put the likes of Brezza, Creta etc into the SUV numbers. Those poor things are just hatches on high heels.. hardly the 3+L gas guzzlers of the west.
Bigzero is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 13:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you see the trend, people are shifting from cars to SUV's. So numbers are changing, and other ICE's are going down.
Now SUV's may be large but are they really in efficient. When I shifted from Polo to Terrano, my in city efficiency dropped from 15 to 17 range to 14 to 16 range. At the same time Highway efficiency actually picked up from 19-20 range to 20-22 range.
Another recent trip when we took a colleagues Hexa XTA on a 2000km business trip which was from Pune - Solapur - Bijapur - Hospet - Chitradurg - Bangalore - Anantpur - Raichur - Gulbarga - Solapur - back to Pune we measured a full to full effeciency of 18 km/lit. If these 2 ton monsters can return that much I think bigger slower engines are more efficient. The Hexa is at just 1350 rpm at 80, and due to the gear shifting between 5th-6th most of the 80-100 cruises take place with rpm hovering around 1500-1800 rpm.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

If the sales of SUVs is more, ofcourse SUVs will emit for CO2.

But they are missing a vital contributor of CO2. Humans !! The more populations increase, more CO2 dispersed to the atmosphere. God knows what they will come up with to address that area.
Altocumulus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 21:27   #5
BHPian

May not be true of India.

The power sector bring the highest greenhouse gas emitter may still be true. However, majority SUVs in India are diesel ones. At least in the US, it would appear most SUVs are gas (gasoline/petrol) ones. Since the diesel engines are considered to be lower in terms of greenhouse gas emission (compared to petrols), the above graph may not reflect the case for India. I guess.
Old 22nd October 2019, 21:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't like this trend of SUV shaming. But we've to accept that cars contribute a significant pie to the global warming and we need alternate propulsion technologies. To meet CAFE norms, manufacturers are making small cars more efficient- maybe time to have a clause that limits the lowest FE.

The only place I see SUVs as a major problem is pedestrian fatalities.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks