Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 17:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai develops centre side airbag

Hyundai has developed a new centre side airbag that separates the space between the driver and passenger. It is expected to be offered in the brand's upcoming models.

Hyundai develops centre side airbag-press-photo2.jpg

According to the carmaker, the centre side airbag is installed inside the driver's seat. It expands into the space between the driver and passenger seats. It is claimed to prevent front row passengers from getting head injuries after colliding with each other. Besides, it is also said to protect the driver from side collisions.

Hyundai develops centre side airbag-press-photo1.jpg

The airbag has an internal tether which allows it to maintain its form and withstand the passenger's weight. The weight of the airbag is said to be 500 gm less than competing products.

Hyundai develops centre side airbag-press-photo3.jpg

Hyundai claims that the center side airbag is expected to reduce head injuries caused by passengers colliding with each other by 80%.

Hyundai develops centre side airbag-press-photo5-1.png

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 19:15   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai develops centre side airbag

Nice move by Hyundai However, I’m pretty sure India will never see this due to:
-India specific cost cutting.
- It would require additional costs to convert it for right-hand-drive (However, am assuming that Hyundai has already taken care of that, as there are other significant RHD markets around the globe, like UK). Hence, this point is not very relevant, which brings us to the above point.

Also, a few questions:
-Is this a world first?
-If (God forbid) the airbag is deployed, wouldn’t it cost significantly more to reassemble, compared to a simple driver/passenger front airbag?
-What could be the conditions for its deployment? (Frontal collisions/side collisions, speeds)
Hope the experts can elaborate on this.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 18th September 2019 at 19:25.
Old 18th September 2019, 20:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

when manufacturers strive for innovation, especially in safety features. This may perhaps also protect the rear passengers from projectiles during a crash / banging forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis_fowl View Post
-If (God forbid) the airbag is deployed, wouldn’t it cost significantly more to reassemble, compared to a simple driver/passenger front airbag?
There is no reassembly; a straight replacement when airbags deploy.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 20:36   #4
BHPian

If this is so good at reducing the severity of passenger injuries, I wonder why the pinnacle developers of safe-tech; Volvo and MB, haven't done this yet?
Old 18th September 2019, 21:57   #5
BHPian

Welcome move by Hyundai, but the masses needs to be educated. When I was comparing the top end models of both Honda Jazz and Hyundai i20, the sales adviser from Honda asked me to avoid i20 as it has 6 Airbags and went on blah blah about how the airbags wouldn't be covered under insurance and the owner needs to spend huge amount in repair cost. And I went on to book Hyundai i20

If these SA's have this kind of attitude then certainly masses would be in a dilemma.
Old 19th September 2019, 14:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
Welcome move by Hyundai, but the masses needs to be educated. When I was comparing the top end models of both Honda Jazz and Hyundai i20, the sales adviser from Honda asked me to avoid i20 as it has 6 Airbags and went on blah blah about how the airbags wouldn't be covered under insurance and the owner needs to spend huge amount in repair cost. And I went on to book Hyundai i20

If these SA's have this kind of attitude then certainly masses would be in a dilemma.
Which dealership was this and can you name the SA? I recently bought a Jazz from advaith and the SA was himself open about the lack of Airbags in Jazz wrt Hyundai.

How does this center airbag avoid injuries to hands? (if one is resting them on the armrest in the middle, the force of it opening might take out the shoulders, isn't it?
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 21:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Which dealership was this and can you name the SA?
Capital Honda was the dealership but let me keep the SA name with me. Do not want to identify his name in a public forum. What is it going to bring?

Reg: Using the Armrest: If you see the last image it shows the passenger keeping his/her hand on the armrest and the airbag deploys from behind. Definitely there will be some force but we need to see videos to understand how it deploys.
TorqueKnight is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks