Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 11:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Canada: Hyundai Kona EV explodes causing a garage fire

There were times when the airlines were scared of exploding lithium ion batteries in mobile phones. Now we are introduced to cars with huge lithium ion batteries. Most of us prefer dashcams with condensor rather with lithium ion batteries, fearing the battery explosion. So I am bit skeptical about these batteries in cars.

Last edited by TorqueKnight : 29th July 2019 at 11:55. Reason: Readability - sentence
TorqueKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 16:22   #17
BHPian

Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
it's imperative the Govt is involved regarding the safety of the technology. They must test these out.
There should be certain separate standards and certifications for the EV Batteries. Because the usage and charging pattern of EV Batteries is different as compared to the other batteries currently in use. Exploding batteries anywhere is not a pleasant thing to happen. Have experienced it and the cause was detected to be high temperature/poor ventilation in that area. Luckily it happened when no one was around.
Old 30th July 2019, 07:38   #18
BHPian

Re: GST on EVs from 12% to 5% (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
So now we have the first Kona on Fire incident. Hyundai has to find the cause for this at the earliest!
Yes indeed, since this car is recently being launched in much competitive markets like India. Hyundai has to further investigate on this as it may lend a bad impact among the potential buyers here. Believe me since we Indians are totally new to EV's and till now the launched ones have a bad reputation of lasting compared to conventional gasoline engines.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th July 2019 at 08:32. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 30th July 2019, 08:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueKnight View Post
There were times when the airlines were scared of exploding lithium ion batteries in mobile phones. Now we are introduced to cars with huge lithium ion batteries. Most of us prefer dashcams with condensor rather with lithium ion batteries, fearing the battery explosion. So I am bit skeptical about these batteries in cars.
I believe you meant capacitor
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 11:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I believe you meant capacitor
Yes, It's a Capacitor. We were trying to change an A/C due to the condenser issue, my mind was filled with condenser of the A/C and I wrongly mentioned it here as condenser instead of Capacitor in Dashcams. Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 12:41   #21
BHPian

Canada: Hyundai Kona EV explodes causing a garage fire-img_20190730_120308.jpg

^ Looks like the battery was involved somehow (burnt rear wheel and scorch marks from the mid bottom) although this doesn't prove that it was the primary cause of the explosion.

Canada: Hyundai Kona EV explodes causing a garage fire-img_20190730_121010.jpg

"The structure was considered unstable."

I guess we'll have to wait for a proper report. I read in another forum that a Kona burned in Finland earlier this year. It was plugged in at a dealer's yard. But no details of any investigation results have been released nor can I find any sources for this online.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks