Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 10:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar-Land Rover to pay users cryptocurrency for reporting road conditions

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is testing a new ‘Smart Wallet’ technology that will pay users in cryptocurrency for sharing data like road and traffic conditions with authorities and navigation services.

As part of the company’s Destination Zero strategy – which aims to achieve zero accidents, emissions and congestion, Smart Wallet will alert drivers on traffic conditions and offer alternate routes thereby reducing fuel consumption and vehicle emissions. Users sharing this data will be rewarded with credits, which could be redeemed for rewards, paying tolls and parking fees or for charging electric vehicles. The Smart Wallet can also be topped up using conventional payment methods.

The British carmaker is testing this new technology at their facility in Shannon, Ireland, where several cars including the F-Pace and the Velar are equipped with 'Smart Wallet'.

Link to the Team-BHP News
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 09:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jaguar-Land Rover to pay users cryptocurrency for reporting road conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Users sharing this data will be rewarded with credits
This is so DUMB! Just amazes me how manufacturers that have buildings full of smart & highly educated people can come up with stupid ideas like this.

- Would a typical Jaguar-Land Rover owner even care about a couple of rupees in his digital wallet?

- I'm guessing they'd care more about their privacy & turn off the sharing of data!!!

- The last thing the world needs today is yet another "digital wallet". God knows, we already have enough of them. Specific to the Indian scene, I have money in PayTM, Ola Money, Amazon Pay and maybe 1 or 2 more. Not to forget, these wallets can be used anywhere instead of the "cryptocurrency only" Jaguar wallet.

- Just in case Jaguar-Land Rover didn't know, Google Maps is already doing a terrific job and can easily incorporate new features to keep up with the times. Who will more accurately give me updates on the Mumbai-Pune expressway? The lakhs of Android users on it, or the 9 Jaguar-Land Rovers using it today, 7 of whom would have disabled the sharing of data?

- Good luck explaining cryptocurrency to your owners whose average age is 48 years old.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed