Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2019, 15:00   #31
BHPian

Re: 2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
And now the rear of the 2020 BMW 7 Series,

Thank god they haven't changed the rear too much! It still is very sleek and modern unlike the horrendous front!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 15:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
I don't get it. What's the big Hokus Pokus with everyone bashing the grill.
Absolutely agree with you on this. While some didn't like it, I personally find them absolutely ok.
Wont they(active kidney grille?) have a bigger role to play in the 2019 model of BMW? I am sure there is move of science than just aesthetics.
Old 9th January 2019, 16:19   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't get it. What's the big Hokus Pokus with everyone bashing the grill.
It’s ugly and that’s why it’s being bashed across auto portals by people who care about aesthetics. I don’t know what’s difficult to understand in this.

Quote:
I'm gonna go against the tide here but this how times are changing and we have no choice but to stick with it.
Perfectly fine for someone to like it as well. But for people who don’t like it, well they have no reason to stick with it.

Quote:
Since when did the enthusiast start caring about looks anyway?
Since the day they started looking at cars I think.

Quote:
Lets get this straight, we found the previous gen Swift Dzire ugly, it still out sold most other cars in the market. We complained when Skoda broke the head lights in two on the facelifted Octavia, it still ended up in every enthusiast's garage just like the pre facelift Octavia did.
Let’s get this straight, “Dzire is the largest selling car in India in 2018 and hence it’s most beautiful car in India.” How’s this analogy?

Quote:
And its not that this is the first time BMW has made big grills. Just check out cars like the BMW 328 roadster or BMW 507 (attaching pics below) where the grill was either too tall or too wide. Guess what? It eventually grew on to people and they started loving it back in the day.
Wait, you want us to look fifty years back?

Thanks for the post though. I always wonder how such designs get the stamp of approval at prototype stage and now I get an idea how.
kiku007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 16:41   #34
BHPian

IMHO this grille is unpalatable on account of it being on a 7 series, and not on account of aesthetics in isolation. In other words, we don't associate a big grille with a bimmer. The Rolls Royce has a big grille too, but we don't exactly pile on the criticism.

P.S. the Rolls is what I speculate the BMW folks tried to imitate.
Old 9th January 2019, 18:35   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It’s ugly and that’s why it’s being bashed across auto portals by people who care about aesthetics. I don’t know what’s difficult to understand in this.
It'a a figure of speech mate. Chill

Quote:
Perfectly fine for someone to like it as well. But for people who don’t like it, well they have no reason to stick with it.
If you like it great! If you don't then you are free to loose out on the driving dynamics of an amazing machine just cause you don't like its nostrils. Doesn't sound like what an enthusiast would do to me but hey, one's own money can be spent on whatever they want to.

Quote:
Since the day they started looking at cars I think.
Ever heard of the opinion regarding the polarizing looks of the Lotus Europa, 2004 Pontiac GTO or the "Bugeye" Subaru WRX of 2002? Yeah the same auto portals you talk of above bashed their looks too but enthusiasts still bought it and loved it anyway. Take it from me no real car enthusiast cares about a car's look. If they did then the Buggati Veyron (which the world called ugly at launch) would have never been every enthusiasts wet dream.

Quote:
Let's get this straight, “Dzire is the largest selling car in India in 2018 and hence it’s most beautiful car in India.” How’s this analogy?
Fallacious at best.

Quote:
Wait, you want us to look fifty years back?
Why not? People called cars ugly back then too you know.

Quote:
Thanks for the post though. I always wonder how such designs get the stamp of approval at prototype stage and now I get an idea how.
We all are entitled to our own opinion you have yours and I have mine however car companies like BMW today know the real reason why people buy their cars and thats cause of their sheer "Driving Dynamics". Mess up with the grill, won't make much of a difference except auto portals bashing you untill they get the actual car to drive in their hands but mess up with the dynamics however and BMW will never be forgiven again.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 10th January 2019 at 23:20. Reason: spacing
Old 9th January 2019, 19:26   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Comment :

I know inflated liver indicates a genuine problem in the digestive system. What does inflated kidneys suggest ?
Hydronephrosis! When the urine is unable to exit the kidneys due to a blockage in the ureter either due to stones, compression or cancer; quite serious if untreated!

In my opinion, the one to buy for it's understated appearance is undoubtedly the S-class. All the others are too sharp and pointy. Especially that Lexus.
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 19:44   #37
BHPian

Kidneys are no more kidneys, they have become Lungs in most BMW cars today!
It's quite sad to see BMW roll out such oddball renderings, the charm, the class, the finesse of a true blue german car is completely missing in new 7 series.
Not that they lose a customer in me, but certainly an admirer.
Acharya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 21:32   #38
BHPian

I'm not sure if it's gimmick or real, the current design is classic and will last a decade.
If BMW wants to re-invent, please pick a leaf from Mercedes Benz. Mercedes design language is highly refreshing compared to decade back.
I picked the 3GT 330i last week due to following reasons, and it has nothing to do with new design language.
- Mouth-watering discounts.
- Petrol engine (330i Msport) with high torque.
- classic exterior design.
- Minimal interiors. Most controls are manually operated.
- Build to outlast the owner.

Dear BMW,
Our core obsession with you is driving pleasure. Don't indulge in exterior makeover since it's done and experimented from 'Hyundai to Benz'.
Let BMW be the drivers pleasure.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th January 2019 at 13:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
harishpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 22:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

BMW has gone celebrity hunting of those who’ve gone for bigger LIP jobs and it looks more like our forum emoji

Damn - 7 series owners will have to keep visiting service centre’s for radiator cleansing quite often from all possible bug hits & god knows it can take in all the grasshoppers and tiny birds

Did you hire a dentist to fix your face design? He’s done an ugly job by giving a big braces to the teeth!
Old 9th January 2019, 22:45   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
And its not that this is the first time BMW has made big grills. Just check out cars like the BMW 328 roadster or BMW 507 (attaching pics below) ....
Those are absolutely gorgeous looking cars (first time i've seen them).
The new 7 in my opinion looks a little weird. Not completely fugly but wonky.

Like with the Mahindra XUVs and their wheel arches.
But just more annoying because BMW is a marquee brand which has had really beautiful cars.

I think this thread is mostly BMW lovers aghast at their beau having gotten a botched up botox shot
Old 10th January 2019, 08:04   #41
BANNED

It’s a 7 series, so all arguments of ‘sheer driving pleasure over looks’ is overrated. People buy this car not for the driving funs, but for being chauffeured in and by the way it’s actually a limousine (kind of). My personal opinion on the looks would be ‘could have been great if they have not altered the kidney grille height’, because that is their trademark.
Old 10th January 2019, 11:19   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I figured it out. If we go by history, BMW alternates between classy designs & weird ones. The E38 was timeless, but the Chris Bangle E65 was weird & controversial. Then came the clean F01 generation, followed by the strange G11. It's exactly the same with the 5-Series too.

Quote:
Go easy, pal. Looks & design are entirely subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
It’s a 7 series, so all arguments of ‘sheer driving pleasure over looks’ is overrated.
Not so. In the West, a vast majority of these are self-driven. Ditto with the S-Class; that's why they have different wheelbase lengths worldwide.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 11:55   #43
BHPian

It sure looks like an overgrown rabbit with the massive grille. But it isnt THAT bad also.
I like how the rear looks and the overall design isnt too bad either.

What is more annoying than the design is how soft BMW has gone on the driving dynamics in the last few years.

It should be the other way round
Old 10th January 2019, 14:05   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Comment :

I know inflated liver indicates a genuine problem in the digestive system. What does inflated kidneys suggest ?
May be it is a sign from ze Germans that you need to have massive kidneys that could be sold to buy one of those. Disappointing design BMW. To me the most elegant 7 series ever has to be the E38 and the E39. The F and the current G series are good too. In 6 series, the awesome E24 635csi. Looks like BMW is moving away from sporty and elegant to more of a bling thing design.

Talking about kidney grills... did you see them on the new X7?? It is so massive you could enter inside the car through the grills. BMW design has gone to the german shepherds
ron_9191 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 14:07   #45
BHPian

Leaked configurator images of the new 7 series. Ugly front grills apart, the rear end without the M bumper minds me of the 6th gen EH or 4th gen LS sedans from Lexus.

Images from carthrottle.com. Here's the link to the article.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...e-been-leaked/
Attached Thumbnails
2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-3466eee48272591c3fa26a0c2008826e.jpg  

2019 BMW 7-Series Facelift-689f191012dc921178d89feb47f30066.jpg  

Last edited by TSIboy : 10th January 2019 at 14:14. Reason: To add content.
TSIboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks