Team-BHP - Skoda Scala : Official Preview
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Skoda Scala : Official Preview (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/204946-skoda-scala-official-preview-2.html)

Great preview! Thanks for sharing.
Despite being a low volume player, I think Skoda is doing the right thing in India. They cannot fight it out in the volume market, and the Made for India experiments did not really work for them (Rapid). Stay as a niche player and bring in quality CKD products is working well for them, with the Kodiaq, Superb, and Octavia doing well in its respective segments. The Scala and even the Karoq will be a good addition to their portfolio in India.

Nice attention to detail from skoda and team bhp!
As a vw golf owner, I personally think this scala is much better in terms of looks, both inside and outside. Hope skoda brings this to India

Great coverage!! Just the "drive" section missing from the report here.
The car looks good. But I'm not sure if Skoda can bring it here with that body type. It's a large hatchback similar to Hyundai i30 and would look like an estate version of the Rapid after that one gets a cosmetic update/face-lift.

They might as well try to convert this into a crossover for the India market. It'll slot into the Creta segment where it would get enough traction.
But I guess we all know Skoda is working on a new compact SUV for India and this car might just not make it to Indian shores...

If this is the hatchback version of Rapid, then two things come to the mind.
1. What happens to the Fabia? Esp for Indian market 4m rule as this is clearly larger
2. Will Rapid also get newer version based on similar styling?

Awesome preview. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon85 (Post 4515926)
If this is the hatchback version of Rapid, then two things come to the mind.
1. What happens to the Fabia? Esp for Indian market 4m rule as this is clearly larger
2. Will Rapid also get newer version based on similar styling?

The design cues of the SCALA will trickle down to Rapid .

Road map of VAG for India will not have a hatchback until 2022 . Nothing known beyond that.

Scala EVEN IF it comes to India will land in the pricing of VW Jetta (discontinued for India) territory.

Skoda Scala on road, ( poor road presence)

Skoda Scala : Official Preview-48414559_1995968577152615_4758683838228463616_n.png

--And in Snow!

Name:  48408433_1995950333821106_5143079485620355072_n.png
Views: 2927
Size:  652.8 KB

Name:  48397018_1995951033821036_749168997957632000_n.png
Views: 3002
Size:  576.5 KB

Source:Ferdfanpage

The headlight shape is unique, however it’s not to my liking. Otherwise overall a very neat design. In the Indian car market, size (bigger = better) and body shape (hatchbacks = cheap) matter a lot. This Skoda Scala is as long as Rapid, Vento, etc but is a hatchback. Moreover it is unlikely to be cheaper than Rapid. So it’s market would likely be limited.

Easiest way to make this car acceptable for our market would be to add some

Beautifully designed car and nice attention to details (except for the vanity mirror light on the driver's side sunshade). I think this car whenever released in India, would be within the 16-17 Lakhs bracket.

Also, there is one thing that constantly bugs me - in every damn European car I have come across, the central hump in the rear section of the cabin floor is too high to make a third occupant comfortable reducing the cars to essentially a 4-seater rather than five. Didn't the Europeans ever master the technology from the Japanese on how to provide an almost flat floor in their cars? :Frustrati

I'm surprised that all these design elements and features have landed in what is meant to be a mass market car (albeit in Europe). It looks like a great package.

But I reckon it'll be difficult to keep the car in the same segment. It'll have to be priced somewhere between the current Rapid and the Octavia.

P.S. Did anybody else notice that Exide battery? Quite proud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 4515701)
Besides, are the rear seats comfortable for 3 passengers? Or is it a tight fit like the Vento/Rapid?

The rear seat is WIDE! It is much wider than the Rapid and the Vento but frankly, we couldn't test it out with 3 adults. The width of the seat aside, that raised central tunnel will be a bit of a bother for the passenger seated at the center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbohead (Post 4515701)
And would you consider upgrading to the Scala after seeing it in flesh?

Absolutely! I'd gladly write a check for Skoda, if this car comes to the Indian shores with the 1.5 TSI engine, the 7-speed DSG and at least a 2 + 5 year warranty on the DSG.

I loved this car! The sharp designs, the lowered stance, the interiors, the overall fit and finish, that immensely customisable virtual cockpit cluster etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samirsarkar (Post 4517267)
Beautifully designed car and nice attention to details (except for the vanity mirror light on the driver's side sunshade).

I think that's a genuine oversight from Skoda not cost-cutting because they've gone all out and have provided so many features but missed out on a measly light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saur95 (Post 4517331)
Did anybody else notice that Exide battery? Quite proud.

Both are different OEMs.

The one that you are referring to, the Indian OEM Exide Industries Limited is not related to the US based battery manufacturer Exide Technologies who have supplied it to Skoda.

Overall the Scala looks good and I really like the full LED front & rear lamps. It is going to be a real competitor for Golf in Europe given the real estate it offers compared to current gen rapid.

I wish Skoda could have added Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) with Auto-Hold instead of physical lever at least in the top variant. This is only the main reason I skipped Octavia while deciding for Golf MK7.

They might have to change the name a car by the same name from Renault was total flop. They will have to do a great advertising campaign The car looks good. My experience with Skoda with my car during the 7 year term was good but now they are neglecting customers with old cars and parts for my Fabia is taking ages. The wiper connector shaft has been pending for over an year now.

What an amazing and detailed coverage guys!

I MUST say, I am in love with this car, especially with the RS Vision Concept! What a design! The interiors look amazing and refined too. VW engines have never disappointed, but still can't wait for a detailed drive review of the Scala, especially the 1.5L TSI. The A0 platform seems to be awesome.

Really hope they launch the car in India, even if it takes them some time to mature their target market for this car. Also hope that like many manufacturers they don't end up diluting design components and features like the wheels, or a large number of safety features which are standard in European launches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adneeraj (Post 4515891)
--
They might as well try to convert this into a crossover for the India market. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 4516425)
Easiest way to make this car acceptable for our market would be to add some
  • plastic cladding
  • fake skid plates
  • roof rails
  • Increase the GC
    --

Here you go, the Skoda SCALA Cross rendered,

Skoda Scala : Official Preview-1.jpg

Skoda Scala : Official Preview-2.jpg

Link