Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 13:50   #16
BHPian

Re: General Motors' 1st woman CFO! A 39-year old Indian

Congrats to Dhivya Suryadevara for becoming CFO of GM.

A little bit off topic but Indians or Indian Americans working at high level management of US MNCs have immigration stuff sorted? Like they need to be Green card holders or American citizen to occupy the top post free of immigration status worries.
rst89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 10:53   #17

I have read that interview and she is simply awesome. I like her even more as unwinding at a boxing ring is surely the best way of getting relaxed . I had my fair share of spending time at a ring so can understand this very well.

Abinash.
Old 18th June 2018, 12:46   #18
BHPian

It's an incredible achievement at any age but getting to such a position at just 39, that takes some doing. Hats off to her.

On a lighter note, how soon before her school, college and state start claiming credit for her achievements.
Old 18th June 2018, 15:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
A little bit off topic but Indians or Indian Americans working at high level management of US MNCs have immigration stuff sorted? Like they need to be Green card holders or American citizen to occupy the top post free of immigration status worries.
Looks like she has been in the USA and working for GM for some time all ready.

There are some other ways too, for people coming from outside the USA.
I’m not a hundred percent sure how it all works these days as the Americans have gone a bit strange on immigration.

We were in the USA from 2009 till 2012 and I was under a so called L1-petitioned visa. In essence a Visa under which your employer declares specifically what job you will be doing, company you will be working for etc. I think typically valid for up to two years or so, but mine got extended once or twice without any problem.

So you are allowed to work, but it has to be for the company mentioned in the petition. So from that point of view restricted. But of course for expats moving around for what is ultimately the same company it works fine.

Little bit of a goof up on mine. My employer has a fair number of different legal entities in the USA. And they all get mentioned on the petition, so you can work for all of them, just in case. However, I was going to be the CEO of a brand new company, only just registered. They forgot to add that new one. So I could work for any of the companies we had in the USA, except the one I was supposed to be in charge of!

Our legal department managed to get it sorted very quickly though!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 18th June 2018 at 15:07.
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2018, 01:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
Congrats to Dhivya Suryadevara for becoming CFO of GM.

If the company decides you are a key resource, anything can be done! Greencard can be processed in EB1 which lowers your waiting period being an indian from 15 years to under a couple of years. Its in cases where the company wants you to slog with them for ever where they on purpose do not look for alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Looks like she has been in the USA and working for GM for some time all ready.

There are some other ways too, for people coming from outside the USA.
I’m not a hundred percent sure how it all works these days as the Americans have gone a bit strange on immigration.

They forgot to add that new one. So I could work for any of the companies we had in the USA, except the one I was supposed to be in charge of!

Our legal department managed to get it sorted very quickly though!

Jeroen

Immigration depts go through hell with Visas. I am sure they have heard every question on earth for a visa applicant.

Congrats on you getting that position.

Related to the thread: Hats off to Dhivya, and wish her great success. GM is and has been this giant company with octupus like branches, so she has a very challenging position to enhance shareholder value and also keep her calm under microscopic analysis of her moves. In this era of activist investors its a hot seat to be in.

Maddy
Old 28th June 2018, 09:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Lively, welcome to the forum. I look forward, as do many others, to many more posts from you. I am delighted not only to have a lady member in what is almost an all bro cast and more so to see someone senior in the corporate world as a part of Team BHP.
Dear Narayan,
Thanks for the warm welcome and apologies for my very belated response. Of late, I have been extremely tied up at work with not much time for anything else.

Delighted to be part of Team-BHP, but I can't call myself a car enthusiast by any stretch of imagination! That said, there is a small story to what brought me to Team-BHP. But once I came, the decorum of the forum is what made me seek membership. Shall share and start posting on the forum, time permitting.

Regards,
L
Lively is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 18:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
.. Maybe you have received the wrong end of the stick or are worried about it and that frustration is eating you. Which frustration is reasonable and hurtful.
This is not a personal rant. This an observation of the system over several years. I am part of the semiconductor industry. So may be what i am saying is not applicable everywhere. The stuff we do is very hard and requires enormous technical skill. Many "suits" actually don't have a clue what is going on. At least in hi-tech Dilbert cartoon very accurately describes what is going on. Clueless "pointy-haired" mid managers. Ego maniacal jargon spewing "senior leaders".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvivek75 View Post
At that level, the impact of your actions is not limited to the company's fate alone, but also several hundred/ thousand employee families, clients, suppliers and what not. Sometimes it's just scary to think of the repurcussions of any wrong move.
Exactly when the so called "leaders" screw up the employees that suffer the most. Where as the "leader" just moves to a new role. These guys are masters at CYA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
IF you do become a CXO please reconfirm then that you used these tricks for your success.
No chance pal. I am too honest and direct. Also i lack a crucial skill -manipulating people. Moreover i have no aspirations to become a CXO. Engineering is what i like. That is what satisfies my soul.
Old 27th July 2018, 21:31   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
The stuff we do is very hard and requires enormous technical skill. Many "suits" actually don't have a clue what is going on.

Exactly when the so called "leaders" screw up the employees that suffer the most. Where as the "leader" just moves to a new role. These guys are masters at CYA.

I am too honest and direct. Also i lack a crucial skill -manipulating people. Moreover i have no aspirations to become a CXO. Engineering is what i like. That is what satisfies my soul.
I’m sorry to hear of your experiences. And they don’t line up with my experience at all. Until not so long ago we were into semiconductors as well in various ways.

True, some of the suits are likely not to have the in-depth knowledge as the technician and engineers have. But why should they? The times that the manager of the R&D departement was also the best R&D engineer have been left behind us several decades ago.

Probably the opposite is true as well, do the technical people understand what the suits do?

I just don’t buy that leaders move on after having screwed up. That is an unsustainable model. It just leads to more problems. I would say, the higher up you get in most if not all companies, your performance is more and more scrutinised and there is less tolerance for failure. The stakes do get higher. If a company is making a loss, has cash flow problems, lacks innovations etc.something very drastic has to change. Even to keep a company ticking over on an even keel requires skill and competencies that go way beyond the technical skills required to produce a product (e.g. a chip set).

I have yet to see a managerial or executive position being advertised where they are looking for dishonest, shifty, manipulative candidates. In fact, it tends to be the very opposite and has been for many decades. Of course, there will always be the exceptions. Maybe you are surrounded by all of them?

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:22   #24
BHPian

GM's 1st women CFO, Dhivya Suryadevara, resigns to join startup Stripe.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...m-opportunity/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks