Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2017, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand

Isuzu has unveiled a facelifted version of the D-Max pickup truck in Thailand. The D-Max V-Cross also receives minor updates. This is the second time that the D-Max is getting updates since its launch in 2011.

Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand-2018isuzudmaxfront.jpg

For 2018, the D-Max gets a slightly redesigned chrome grille in the front flanked by revised headlights. While the projector headlamps have been retained, a new L-shaped LED DRL strip runs along the edge of the headlamp clusters. The front bumper has been redesigned as well. The V-Cross version gets vertical chrome accents on the fog lamp housings.

Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand-2018isuzudmaxindia1.jpg

On the inside, the D-Max facelift comes with brown upholstery. It also gets brown trim on the dashboard and door panels. The same dashboard, a central touchscreen infotainment system and circular air-conditioning module has been carried over. However, the instrument cluster and MID are new.

Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand-2018isuzudmaxindia.jpg

Isuzu has not announced any changes to the powertrain options. That said, the vehicle is likely to be offered with its current range of engines. In India, the D-Max V-Cross comes with a 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine which produces 134 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 320 Nm of torque @ 1,800-2,800 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox and comes with shift-on-the-fly 4WD system.

Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand-2018isuzudmaxinterior.jpg

There has been no official word regarding the introduction of the D-Max and V-Cross facelift in India.

Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand-2018isuzudmaxspace.jpg
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 18:48   #2
BHPian

Re: Isuzu D-Max facelift unveiled in Thailand

How I wish that they launch the Auto tranny version in India? I am currently planning to buy a new car and looking to upgrade my current ride, the Mahindra Scorpio. My primary criteria is that it should have a slush box as traffic is a killer. That said the V-Cross is quite large by Bombay standards yet this is a case of heart over head despite all the opposition from family. The only factor that's stopping me from taking the plunge is the lack of an automatic transmission.
eltoro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 18:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoro View Post
The only factor that's stopping me from taking the plunge is the lack of an automatic transmission.
Have you driven the Isuzu? If not take a test drive. You will be surprised how tractable the motor is even at 40kmph in 5th gear it can pull without any juddering. Considering you are coming from a manual car ownership, you will find it pretty easy to drive as very few gearshifts are needed.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 05:10   #4
Team-BHP Support

Despite seeing the DMax quite often on these roads, i was hard-pressed to find where the cosmetic tweaks were! The LED DRL is just going the way of the Holden / Chevy Colorado, so no surprises there.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:50   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You will be surprised how tractable the motor is even at 40kmph in 5th gear it can pull without any juddering.
Yeah, the engine is damn tractable. But both - the clutch & gearbox - have long throws. Then, there's the heavy steering, bumpy ride quality & big size. Anyone looking for slushbox-convenience won't be easily convinced by the MT version.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 11:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you driven the Isuzu? If not take a test drive. You will be surprised how tractable the motor is even at 40kmph in 5th gear it can pull without any juddering. Considering you are coming from a manual car ownership, you will find it pretty easy to drive as very few gearshifts are needed.
The motor is very tractable I agree, but with the long and hard gear shifts, long clutch, hard steering, bumpy ride (Mohambi would sing version 2 of his famous song if he drove this one ), Dmax would not be anybody's pick unless he is looking for a literally truck like experience.

I went for a test drive too, I wanted to buy one too, but was super dejected after the test drive, I would be okay with a little hard steering but not this much, gearshifts cannot be hard and long at the same time and couple that with the long clutch throw and then my parents sitting behind complained of the bumpy ride ( we go for our road trips together and they are like 2500 km plus most of the times), we went home deciding not to buy this unless atleast some of the concerns are addressed. 6 speed Automatic would be one, less bumpier would be another (Why not reduce the weight carrying capacity of the hatch behind in the Vcross versions which are lifestyle, thus hardening the rear suspension and making it more lifestyle friendly?) and finally a little lighter steering would be the last. If all these are met, then Vcross would sell in 2x to 3x the numbers it is selling right now as then even a Scorpio or XUV buyer will consider this.
humyum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 02:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I driven the Vcross and the biggest issues that I found were the lack of pickup and bumpy ride. After gaining momentum the truck literally pulls like a locomotive but that’s going to be happening only on highway runs. The gearshifts were quite notchy and my wife and daughter in the backseat found the overall experience far less refined than my almost 7 year old Scorpio. Installing CF leafsprings and a gas charged shock will resolve the bumpy ride experience I guess but an auto transmission is sorely missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
The motor is very tractable I agree, but with the long and hard gear shifts, long clutch, hard steering, bumpy ride (Mohambi would sing version 2 of his famous song if he drove this one ), Dmax would not be anybody's pick unless he is looking for a literally truck like experience.

I went for a test drive too, I wanted to buy one too, but was super dejected after the test drive, I would be okay with a little hard steering but not this much, gearshifts cannot be hard and long at the same time and couple that with the long clutch throw and then my parents sitting behind complained of the bumpy ride ( we go for our road trips together and they are like 2500 km plus most of the times), we went home deciding not to buy this unless atleast some of the concerns are addressed. 6 speed Automatic would be one, less bumpier would be another (Why not reduce the weight carrying capacity of the hatch behind in the Vcross versions which are lifestyle, thus hardening the rear suspension and making it more lifestyle friendly?) and finally a little lighter steering would be the last. If all these are met, then Vcross would sell in 2x to 3x the numbers it is selling right now as then even a Scorpio or XUV buyer will consider this.
You couldn’t have summed it up better. Considering that pickups are lifestyle vehicles in India, Isuzu should have tweaked the car and done away with leafsprings altogether and definitely should have had the auto box as an option. I don’t see any reason why the sales would not double or even treble!
eltoro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 17:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

I like the facelift. I think Isuzu will have to price the car a lot higher if they added an Auto box and got rid of the old school leaf spring suspension. It already retails at close to Rs 20 Lakh doesn't it?
Old 5th January 2018, 17:23   #9
BHPian

The facelift has been unveiled and is already available at some of the dealerships. It is not the one that was launched in Thailand and other dominant markets. We get DRLs in place of fog lamps, same engine and gearbox combo, an audio system with reverse camera, black seats and perhaps black floor carpet, side steps and some chrome on rear bumper.

The only one ticked off from my wishlist is black interiors (not quite, but I guess seats and black carpet will do for now). They should have launched the 1.9L engine churning 165 BHP and 400 NM torque with auto box available in Thailand. It also has a bigger 76L fuel tank which is another grouse I have with the current 55L tank. Wait for another year I guess!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks