Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 15:25   #1
BHPian

Lamborghini Aventador S revealed

2017 Lamborghini Aventador S With 740 PS, Four-Wheel Steering has been officially revealed.

Lamborghini Aventador S revealed-aventador_s_desert_front_10.jpg

"May we humbly present to you the brand new Lamborghini Aventador S. It is here, it is yellow, and it is fast. We are informed it represents a new benchmark for the Aventador, and thus we must take you through its myriad updates.

First up, and most importantly, is more power. That 6.5-litre V12 now kicks out 730bhp - up from the ‘regular’ Aventador’s 691bhp, but a fraction down on the madcap Aventador SV’s 740bhp - thanks to optimised valve timing.

The redline has been shifted up to 8,500rpm for good measure, and whereso delivered to all four wheels through that seven-speed gearbox, will kick the Lambo from 0-62mph in 2.9s and onto a top speed of 217mph. The exhaust is also 20 per cent lighter than before, which of course, means all sorts of good things related to noise.

Oh yes, all four wheels. The next most important update to this Lambo is the four-wheel-steering system we first saw on the banzai Centenario; the first time it’s been put on a production Lambo. The front axle gets Lambo’s dynamic steering setup, but at the rear there are two separate actuators with five-millisecond-quick adjustments, responding to the driver’s steering input.

At low speeds, the front wheels face in the opposite direction to the rears, to virtually reduce the wheelbase, while at high speeds, all wheels have the same angle for better stability. When we tested it on a prototype SV with this RWS system - on a track, naturally - we said at the time that it “makes a huge difference to the car’s stability, predictability and so your confidence, commitment and speed grow.” Good.

This S also gets updated suspension with revised kinematics for that four-wheel-steer tech, new geometry, a new ‘real-time’ variable damping system and new rear springs. The ESC has also been recalibrated to be faster, and is said to provide “improved adhesion detection” to help maximise grip in a variety of conditions. Fear not, though: the permanent four-wheel-drive setup has been retuned to cope with the rear-wheel-steer (do keep up), while still allowing “oversteer behaviour and a sporty, safe drive”. Phew."

Source - Top Gear - http://www.topgear.com/car-news/supe...ni-aventador-s
funkydevil is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 23:29   #2
BHPian

re: Lamborghini Aventador S revealed

Good car but it's lost the character of the older gen cars. It's owned by VAG and feels like a big audi as well.

If someone has enough dough, please get the 458 or go full hog and buy the LaFerrari or P1. Now, that's something!

Though, I agree this is probably one of the last V12 N.A. supercars to be in production. But it's better if Lambo invests in hybrid tech like Ferrari and McLaren.

Not to make the greenies happy, but to work in sync with the petrol motor and mask out that initial / in-gear torque lag for brutal power delivery. Oh, and greenies will be happy as well.

Win-win for everyone!

Last edited by The Brutailer : 19th December 2016 at 23:31.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:28   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lamborghini Aventador S revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Good car but it's lost the character of the older gen cars. It's owned by VAG and feels like a big audi as well.

If someone has enough dough, please get the 458 or go full hog and buy the LaFerrari or P1. Now, that's something!
Some of us prefer Lamborghini's styling to the weird-looking (to me) new Ferraris. I'd pick the Aventador over the 458. Among other things, I'm getting a V12 (over an 8) & cleaner styling.

I absolutely hate Ferrari's new design language. This decade has seen the ugliest Ferraris ever; the worst in their history IMHO.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 13:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:

I think Lambo still oozes character. It still makes cars as futuristic and edgy looking as it was during the time of Miura. 458 is not even in the same segment and LaFerrari and P1 costs double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some of us prefer Lamborghini's styling to the weird-looking (to me) new Ferraris. I'd pick the Aventador over the 458. Among other things, I'm getting a V12 (over an 8) & cleaner styling.

I absolutely hate Ferrari's new design language. This decade has seen the ugliest Ferraris ever; the worst in their history IMHO.
Aventador looks stunning and futuristic. Recent Ferraris too do not look bad in my opinion. Its good to have different styles and characteristics. Given that all the new supercars are designed keeping in mind the emerging markets, the variations in style and change in design directions are going to continue.

Does this Aventador S still use an AMT?

Last edited by navin : 20th December 2016 at 14:17. Reason: grammar (does not vs do not)
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 14:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
458 is not even in the same segment and LaFerrari and P1 costs double.
It's not in the same segment but is better than the Aventador in every way except for outright acceleration and top speed. In simple words, Ferrari feels more alive and involving to drive than the lambo. Lambo, even though it's more powerful, it's still much more easier to drive. In supercars, I don't think it's a good characteristic.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 15:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
That's.. not going to work. Unlike the Av or the 458, the LaF and P1 are limited run hyper cars that you can't just get up and buy even if you have the money. Besides, every single one of these flagships is sold out before the first one makes it out of the factory. The purchases are by invitation only.

So, that leaves the pre-owned or the second hand market. The going rate for the LaF is about 3 million USD. That would put it to about 10 times the price of the 458.

Edit: you can change 458 to 488 GTB in discussion here because the 458 is now EOL.

Last edited by ach1lles : 20th December 2016 at 15:02. Reason: 458 -> 488
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 07:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

No complaints with the way the Aventador S looks. But not much technology is breaking through!

Lamborghini was on a roll till a few years ago but of late they are playing catch up big time. And diesel gate is going to make it even tougher for them to compete with the other big boys.

Quote:
What about the F12? I really like the way that one looks. You do get naturally aspirated 6.3 L V12 and one more clutch over the Aventador S. And for all its mind blowing numbers, its celebrated as an astonishing daily-driver by international media. That's how capable the Ferrari is.

And if you want something more hardcore, then there is the F12tdf too with 769 hp and 8900 rev limit.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 09:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think the Ferrari 458 is a competitor to the Aventador. The Hurracan is more like it.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Lamborghini has officially announced that it will be launching the Aventador S in India on March 3, 2017.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 20th February 2017 at 18:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks