Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2016, 12:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

India-made Suzuki Vitara Brezza AT showcased in Indonesia

The Suzuki Vitara Brezza has made its Indonesian debut at the ongoing Gaikindo Indonesia International Auto Show (GIIAS). Interestingly, the Indonesia-spec Vitara Brezza gets an automatic transmission option, something that the Indian market hasn’t got yet.

Indonesia has become the first oversees market to get the sub-4 metre compact SUV from Suzuki, and also the first country to get the Vitara Brezza automatic variant. The Suzuki Vitara Brezza for Indonesia will be manufactured by Maruti Suzuki in India.

In Indonesia, the Vitara Brezza will be powered by a 1.3-litre DDiS diesel engine, which develops 89 BHP and 200 Nm of torque. It will come with a 5-speed manual transmission as standard, while an automatic unit will be available as an option. While it is unclear which transmission has been used in the automatic variant, it is reported that the car will get an automatic manual transmission in India.

Keeping in mind that Indonesia is a petrol oriented market, Suzuki might soon introduce the Vitara Brezza petrol there. India is expected to get a petrol version of the car by the end of this year as well.

Source: Rushlane

India-made Suzuki Vitara Brezza AT showcased in Indonesia-marutivitarabrezzaamt2016indonesiagiaas2.jpg

India-made Suzuki Vitara Brezza AT showcased in Indonesia-marutivitarabrezzaamt2016indonesiagiaas7.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 16th August 2016 at 12:04.
dZired is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:36   #2
BHPian

Re: India-made Suzuki Vitara Brezza AT showcased in Indonesia

Autocar India has the report on the Brezza AMT, S-Cross petrol and the 1.2 lt Ignis AMT that are being showcased.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-402758.aspx
John is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

This AMT is turning out to be a boon and a curse. I love the fact that it makes owning an automatic a bit more achievable in the lower end of things.

However, its a bit annoying when these are coming up in INR 10 lakh+ cars like Brezza, Duster etc. If I put down 15 lakhs (as an example) on a Duster, I want a better A/T experience. I would put down the extra 1 odd lakh on the Creta JUST for the torque converter A/T, even if all other things were equal.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 13:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
However, its a bit annoying when these are coming up in INR 10 lakh+ cars like Brezza, Duster etc. If I put down 15 lakhs (as an example) on a Duster, I want a better A/T experience. I would put down the extra 1 odd lakh on the Creta JUST for the torque converter A/T, even if all other things were equal.
Fully agreed! AMTs are suitable for economy cars only; those spending a million bucks expect the kind of refinement offered by torque-converter or dual-clutch ATs.

The problem for Suzuki is, it's a relatively small manufacturer globally. Hence, the company doesn't have the spare funds to take a risk on a low volume torque-converter AT that can be mated to the diesel. I know there were a lot of debates within Maruti on the AMT, but it finally saw the light of day due to its low cost nature & minimal R&D requirements.

When the Vitara Brezza comes with a petrol, it'll be easy for Maruti to use one of Suzuki's existing ATs. But Suzuki won't develop a new one matched to the 1.3L diesel.

This is also why we see so many petrol ATs in the mass market segments, but few diesel ATs. No one will offer a combination just for India where AT demand is minuscule.
USA = Petrol + AT
Europe = Diesel + MT
Japan = Petrol + MT

There are only a handful of countries where Diesel + ATs are popular. But even there, which mass market car of India can be sold? A manufacturer will never recover the R&D cost of developing a diesel AT from India.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 13:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

In Indonesia, the Vitara Brezza will be powered by a 1.3-litre DDiS diesel engine, which develops 89 BHP and 200 Nm of torque. It will come with a 5-speed manual transmission as standard, while an automatic unit will be available as an option. While it is unclear which transmission has been used in the automatic variant, it is reported that the car will get an automatic manual transmission in India.
Vitara Brezza at the GIIAS fair was showcased as a 'Reference' model only.

What is interesting to note is the market will get the petrol version of the Brezza in early 2017.

The flyer depicts that configuration on MT/AT for the petrol variant. Likely the 6 speed AT from Baleno RS.

For the time being ignore the engine displacement ( applicable for the display vehicle).

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th August 2016 at 13:43.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 18:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

I hear you GTO and my general observation aside, I have tremendous respect for Maruti for never taking its market dominance for granted and continuing to push the envelope with more options, better designs etc and never losing the plot on customer focus through all their growth.

However, I still do feel that if Mahindra can offer the XUV with an AT, Hyundai can offer Creta with AT (not sure what respective global volumes are of these engine gearbox combos) then I feel Maruti (and certainly people like Renault) can consider better ATs too. Secondly, they do have petrol automatics with conventional ATs in their stable. To the extent possible, it wouldn't hurt to start offering those options in their broader line up as well. Thanks to a host of distinct factors there is now more acceptance of petrol vehicles as well as ATs than there was for past several years. Let's give buyers options wherever possible.

Separately, if grand i10 can offer conventional AT, I think if Ignis is going to come via NEXA, CVT would have been more apt. No extra development cost, the product already exists I believe in their global lineup. If I was decision making this, I'd keep celerio and wagon Rs as low cost, more fuel efficient Maruti dealt AMT offerings. Ignis through NEXA with the more premium finish and CVT option. [It's a different matter that I wonder whether CVT specifically would be more fun to drive than an AMT ;-)]
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks