Team-BHP - New Suzuki Jimny in 2018
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   New Suzuki Jimny in 2018 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/177839-new-suzuki-jimny-2018-a-9.html)

Production of SUZUKI JIMNY starts. Big Q is whether we will see this at the 2018 Auto EXPO and its India plans :)

Now rumored for a 2018 May launch.

Quote:

In 2019 it plans to sell Jimny even in the UK and the engine is expected to be equipped with a 1.2L booster jet turbo engine.
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-bocoranproduksisuzukijimnydijepang630x421.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-suzukijimnyterjepretdijepang.jpg

Source

Source 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4317314)
Production of SUZUKI JIMNY starts. Big Q is whether we will see this at the 2018 Auto EXPO and its India plans [/url]

Now, this news about the 1.2L BoosterJet engine is very important for India. If it is coming, it has the potential to drive many cars in India like:

Brezza
S-Cross
Ciaz
Ertiga
Upcoming Gypsy
Bigger Vitara

My expectation: A 120 BHP 200nm engine.

The Jimny now looks like a Force Gurkha 2017, which itself is a Merc G-wagen look-alike.

If this does come to India as a replacement to Gypsy, it could well become the mainstream 4x4 vehicle of choice for many of us. With the backing of MSIL service and dealer network, it will definitely find many takers.

I hope MSIL retains the option of having a soft-top (like the current Gypsy) along with the hard-top option seen in the pictures here. There are a lot of us who drive down to Tamhini Ghat during monsoons to soak in the rain and the greenery. stupid:

This car has very high potential as a second car. Considering the city traffic and road conditions (especially during rainy seasons), a reliable second car like this will be ideal. I am following news on Jimny for India for about two years now, wish Suzuki gives some plan / launch on this soon.

I can already imagine Tata sweating again in terms of its military contract of delivering Safaris to the Indian forces.
With an upgraded model, I guess the Army officers shall want to opt back for the Jimny to effectively execute tasks at hand, since this car is definitely more versatile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharktale (Post 4318732)
I can already imagine Tata sweating again in terms of its military contract of delivering Safaris to the Indian forces.
With an upgraded model, I guess the Army officers shall want to opt back for the Jimny to effectively execute tasks at hand, since this car is definitely more versatile.

The Safari was for transporting officials in comfort. The Gypsy was for field use. It is unlikely that the Jimmy will be able to beat the Safari in terms of comfort. It can be a substitute for a Gypsy or the Thar but not the Safari. It will be more nimble and perhaps a bit faster since it is smaller.

If the new SUZUKI JIMNY retains the DNA of the 4th GEN , it will be awesome.

David vs Goliath. A 20-year-old little off-roader against a £100k luxury SUV (Suzuki Jimny vs Range Rover)

Quote:

if you want a proper little SUV, one that really can get through anything, then this proves you don’t need horsepower, you don’t need weight, you don’t need a big budget – you just need a Suzuki Jimny.

Source

Presenting the very first leaked images of 2018 SUZUKI JIMNY.

It is speculated that the 2018 Jimny was filmed in Italy and here are the catalouge images,

2018 Jimny will appear in dual tone customization and a variety of options. ( soft top, etc)

According to preliminary data, a small SUV will be equipped with a 1.2-liter 92-horsepower gasoline or a 1.0-liter 112-horsepower turbo. A Hybrid variant is also rumored to be introduced at launch.

Suzuki Jimny 2018 will be exclusively all-wheel drive, and buyers can choose a 5-speed manual gearbox or in AT. Sales in Japan start from the beginning of 2018.

Source: Suzukifanclub

Bring in 4 doors, a DDIS in this and I can't fathom the flood gates of orders that will open for Maruti. People buying Swift's, Balenos, I20's and what not will look at this as a brilliant option for everyday office as well as adventure trips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4319215)
...for everyday office as well as adventure trips.

For that, a monocoque "switchable-4WD" 4m long 5-door 5 seater vehicle with a ground clearance of 220mm and sunroof will be the apt one, IMO.

With this vehicle one can boss around other vehicles in traffic. I can see two wheelers who generally keep hitting the rear bumper to go under and bang their head against the spare wheel. You can look down on auto drivers and tell them you dont have anything to lose either :)
With all the excitement aside, I dont think people would buy it to use everyday. Only people who would also take it out for off-roading might buy these.

Looks good, inside out! I am digging the Gypsy-esque instrument panel. But the big question still remains, will Maruti bring it to us? This could be a better and modern iteration of the Gypsy.

Launch it at par with the Thar, and this could still end up being a better option. I hope they don't give it their usual, India specific treatment - lighten the car, detune the engine, fit puny tyres, and boost FE.

If this launches in india, and has comfortable suspension to tackle our roads, has dual airbags atleast, seats 4 comfortably, and 4x4, i will be in line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4321214)
Launch it at par with the Thar, and this could still end up being a better option

Think of this:

Current Gypsy Softtop ex-show room Delhi: around 6L
Minus 50K tax advantage for sub-4m car: 5.5L
Add 50K for a newer 1.2L K-series engine: 6L
Add K for a proper car-like body: 6.5L
Add 50K for the modern essential amenities: 7L (for Petrol)

(Add 1L for a Diesel: 8L)

And Thar Diesel is priced around 6.5L at Delhi. That's a huge difference.

But Maruti can do better here: check the price of the current Gypsy. 6L for a bare bone 20-year old model having an old 1.3L G-series engine! A far modern Ertiga (wich also doesn't enjoy any sub-4m tax advantage, but ofcourse without 4WD) is starting at 6.25l!

Starting from a Swift:

Swift LXi: 4.75L
Add 1L for a 4WD: 5.75L (For Petrol)

(Add 1L for a Diesel: 6.75L)

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 4321295)
And Thar Diesel is priced around 6.5L at Delhi. That's a huge difference.

Thar CRDe is around 9 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi. DI is a DInosaur anyway, so not relevant :)