Team-BHP - New Suzuki Jimny in 2018
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   New Suzuki Jimny in 2018 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/177839-new-suzuki-jimny-2018-a-14.html)

Looking forward to the Jimny. Seems like a perfect little offroader/adventure vehicle, in a good looking retro-modern package, for someone who wants the 4x4 capabilities, but, without compromising on the creature comforts. Would make a nice daily also, due to its tiny dimensions. Lime green looks tasty too! Perfect remedy for the mid life crisis. Hot Wheels for the grown ups. Let's form an orderly queue, gents! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by humyum (Post 4410539)
This looks like the rally car which Jackie Chan is driving in 'Who am I'.

Should be Pajero SWB, but I guess you know. :)

Suzuki Jimny to debut in July catering to the Japanese Market.

Quote:

For JDM version, Jimny will carry the 660cc engine with 63 HP power because in the State of Sakura, Jimny entered Kei Car classification
Global versions will get the 1.5 L engine ? ( yet to be confirmed )

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-sz.jpg

Link

Japanese media confirms the following and claims the information is shared by the dealer( catalouge available).
Usually they are authentic as the same was seen during the SWIFT launch:

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-js.jpg

1. Engine is R06A for the Japanese market, but the gear ratios etc are almost unchanged

2. Automatic variant is the 4 AT

3. Test drive cars scheduled for July 3rd

4 Weight 1030 Kg (MT) and 1040 Kg (AT)

5. Fuel efficiency - 16.2 Km/l (MT) and 13.2 Km/l (AT)

6. Jimny Sierra International model to get the 1.5 L NA engine

7. 4WD is optional

8. Jimny Sierra too will get the 5 MT and 4 AT

9. Launching on 5th July

Source1:

Source:

Quote:

Originally Posted by qr20de (Post 4410803)
This thing is going to be epic!

They are literally like the cockroaches of the vehicle world; go anywhere and survive anything.

Im sure it's going to be disappointing for a lot of our Team-bhp brothers and sisters to hear this, but I'm quite sure that it won't come in a 5 door model. Its meant to be a pure off-roader and by lengthening the chassis to fit extra seats and doors, you reduce the break-over angle significantly. Just my thoughts.

Valid point. However, the Jeep Wrangler successfully pulled through with a 3 door to 5 version model, so the Jimny can use that as a reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWD (Post 4410811)
Perfect remedy for the mid life crisis. Hot Wheels for the grown ups. Let's form an orderly queue, gents! :D

I have already been through the midlife crisis and still am driving my first midlife crisis. Waiting for the second one stupid:

This is one Idiotic looking car. :Frustrati God save us from such cars which might rollover a hundred times in an accident :Shockked: Such cars don't belong in 2018. And why would anyone buy it when there are far better cars?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 4411570)
And why would anyone buy it when there are far better cars?

Not sure which is the "far better car" you have in mind, but the Jimny is bought for this reputation -

https://youtu.be/IgvdU4va3-I

Couldn't have said it better than this-
Quote:

Originally Posted by qr20de (Post 4410803)
They are literally like the cockroaches of the vehicle world; go anywhere and survive anything.

Suzuki Jimny catalouge appears at dealerships, bookings speculated to open in mid June,

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-8ee324e7.jpg

On colours avaialble:

- 2 tone roof is 3 colors, black top 2 tone is 1 colour

- Available in 9 colours

- The grade is XG, XL, XC

-2 tone roof and black top 2 tone are set only for XC

-Monotone is yellow, ivory, blue, gray, black, green, silver, pearl, white ,

- Yellow, ivory, blue only with 2 tone roof,

- seems that it is the setting that the yellow only bonnet and the roof are black black top 2 tone.

Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4411572)
Not sure which is the "far better car" you have in mind, but the Jimny is bought for this reputation

How about this reputation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iDRJylrOT8

Jimny has great potential in Punjab, Haryana, etc. among open jeep (Willys type) lovers. Shove it with wide tyres and fix some hella lights and see it turn into a little humvy. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 4411570)
This is one Idiotic looking car. :Frustrati God save us from such cars which might rollover a hundred times in an accident :Shockked: Such cars don't belong in 2018. And why would anyone buy it when there are far better cars?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 4411597)

Sorry mate but don't you think any vehicle with a high center of gravity has higher chances of a rollover accident than say a sedan or a hatchback? I'm pretty sure cars like the Jimny aren't meant to do high speeds anyway, the video you've posted seems like it is going too fast for the terrain.

Looks are subjective and while you are entitled to your opinion, I feel it looks amazing. Internationally, the Jimny has no competition at it's price point, no wonder it has been selling well for decades! It will be a tricky proposition for MS to sell it in India though as they have to keep the costs low while providing D-segment levels of luxury, which the Jimny isn't meant for. The fact that you're calling it an 'idiotic car' proves that India isn't ready for it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 4411597)

One can always buy a Vitara Brezza instead. Looks better (modern) and has better highway characteristics. :thumbs up

Jimny is built for something else! To be a proper little, cheap 4×4 solution.

I love this little car. But the fact is that the chances of it making it to the Indian market is nil.

The Indian market is not receptive to 2 door vehicles from any class. They have been market flops. The coupes, the convertibles, the utility vehicles, take your pick.

Only 2 door vehicles that have been successful are from the commercial vehicles used strictly for hauling stuff around.

Maruti knows this and there is no way they would launch this here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by govigov (Post 4411683)
I love this little car. But the fact is that the chances of it making it to the Indian market is nil.

The Indian market is not receptive to 2 door vehicles from any class. They have been market flops. The coupes, the convertibles, the utility vehicles, take your pick.

The reality is that there is no other manufacturer in India better placed to change this trend, other than Maruti, and for this the Jimny is the perfect answer. If the Thar can sell, the Jimny will surely sell a whole lot more, being a more modern and definitely better put together vehicle too.

For the first time ever I sense a liking in myself for a modern day Maruti offering. It's true that Indian market is not ready for such a car but then remember the Thar sells. Not everyone who buys a Thar now a days is an enthusiast or an offroading Jeep guy. And like @benbsb29 said, there is no better manufacture in India who will be able to sell such a car to common Indians. I'm not actually sure if I will buy one but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the market accepts this car considering the fact that Maruti can never go wrong in India.