Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 19:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo

Fiat is now seen testing the New generation of Punto (X6H) in Brazil. Launch in 2017.

In India-would it replace the current generation of Punto along with Linea in 2017/18 ?
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagranovopalio20163620x463.jpg
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagranovopalio20162.jpg
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagranovopalio20161.jpg
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagranovopalio20164.jpg

Seen in a "mule", parts of various vehicles on the body but already on the new platform.

Quote:
According to reports, "looked like a Palio in front of Grand Siena", as we can see by the lights that extend into the side. Note that, despite the body of Palio, the rear axle is moved back, indicating it is a model with a longer wheelbase. This is the X6H project, which will take the place of Punto throughout Latin America - we still can not know if also replace the European Punto.
Quote:
The new Punto will have three engine options, highlighting the new 1.4 GSE family, with aluminum block and control via current, which should yield around 100 horsepower and 14 Nm of torque. Besides it also will use updated versions of the E-Torq 1.6 and 1.8 - nothing was said about the 1.4 T-Jet
http://carplace.uol.com.br/flagra-fi...x6h-no-brasil/

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th December 2015 at 19:42.
volkman10 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 14:51   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo

About time, I say. Bring it on!

The current Punto is now a decade old and is unable to fight with newer competition. It feels very outdated.

Hope the flaws (space, ergonomics, fit & finish) are sorted out, but the strengths (steering, suspension) are retained. I also hope that it doesn't go the EPS + lighter build quality way that every next generation car seems to follow these days.

One thing for sure - if the Egea sedan provides any hint of Fiat's design direction, it's going to be good looking.

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2015 at 14:52.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 00:15   #3
BHPian

Hope Fiat launches the next gen Punto with an automatic transmission, a diesel AT will give it a great selling point. Will Fiat be the first to launch a diesel AT hatch? Fingers crossed.
Unfortunately Fiat does not have the required infrastructure to cash in on the first mover advantage, nevertheless it would be great to have a diesel AT hatch
Old 8th December 2015, 00:29   #4
BHPian

Seems like the successor to my Punto has started making news already. As quoted by GTO, i seriously hope Fiat does not take out the good things from the best handling hatch back in India. Would love to see refreshed interiors with better ergonomics, same steering feedback and a rev happy more powerful engine. I really feel adding only a powerful engine is not enough, many enthusiasts love the new ford figo for its engine but the fun to drive quotient has vanished, probably owing to super light EPS.

Many a times when i visit my towns Fiat dealership, i really feel sad for the lack of zeal and hope in them. I really hope things change for Fiat and they improve on their strategies and bring some awesome cars to India which i am pretty sure shall be aesthetically good and great to drive.
Old 21st December 2015, 20:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Gen Next Punto to get ESP, stop-start and automatic transmission.

Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagrapainelcompactofiatx1h2562x1000-1.jpg
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagrapainelcompactofiatx1h7620x348.jpg
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagrapainelcompactofiatx1h2562x1000.jpg
Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-flagrapainelcompactofiatx1h1620x348.jpg

Speculated to have the mules with components from other brand of cars.
Quote:
-the panel is the Palio, while the steering wheel, the instrument panel, arrow levers and even the automatic transmission are the Jeep Renegade (Fiat Toro project's brother). Automatic transmission? Yes, this time the Punto will use automatic transmission fact, with six gears, torque converter and paddles for manual exchanges in place of the Dualogic automated one clutch.
Quote:
Other features that the new Punto will are stamped on the buttons at the center of the panel: function City for the electric power steering (which leaves the steering wheel even lighter in maneuvers, as in Bravo), stability control (ESP) and the start-stop system which shuts off the engine at traffic stops to save fuel - item ever offered by Uno 1.4, albeit on a small scale.

http://carplace.uol.com.br/flagra-no...o-veja-painel/

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st December 2015 at 20:35.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hope they have a parallel Abarth plan to this running, so that when the new Punto is launched the Abarth version of that car is launched simultaneously. Infact launching the Abarth Punto at the end of the model cycle seems already a bad decision.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 08:31   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NST440 View Post
i seriously hope Fiat does not take out the good things from the best handling hatch back in India. Would love to see refreshed interiors with better ergonomics, same steering feedback and a rev happy more powerful engine. I really feel adding only a powerful engine is not enough, many enthusiasts love the new ford figo for its engine but the fun to drive quotient has vanished, probably owing to super light EPS.
We will have to bid a sorrowful goodbye to the last remnant of old-school driving once the new Punto comes in.. the HPS. As slow as Fiat is in updating models in India, it only worked out favourably for the loyal fans of hydraulic steering as this is the only model on sale till now with steering feedback that simply puts everything else to shame. I've driven EPS across almost all brands, be it VW, Skoda or Ford.. they don't match the feel of a hydraulic unit by a hundred lightyears.

The reason I feel Fiat will make the unfortunate transition is again due to cost saving, and the so called trend of motor driven steering being the newer technology & last but most important - Punto would be based off the 500x platform which is already using motor steering. It doesn't matter now if Fiat improves the gearshift & driving position, its heart & soul remains its steering. BUY NOW is all I can tell its fans.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
We will have to bid a sorrowful goodbye to the last remnant of old-school driving once the new Punto comes in.. the HPS. As slow as Fiat is in updating models in India, it only worked out favourably for the loyal fans of hydraulic steering as this is the only model on sale till now with steering feedback that simply puts everything else to shame. I've driven EPS across almost all brands, be it VW, Skoda or Ford.. they don't match the feel of a hydraulic unit by a hundred lightyears.

The reason I feel Fiat will make the unfortunate transition is again due to cost saving, and the so called trend of motor driven steering being the newer technology & last but most important - Punto would be based off the 500x platform which is already using motor steering. It doesn't matter now if Fiat improves the gearshift & driving position, its heart & soul remains its steering. BUY NOW is all I can tell its fans.

While its true that today we do mourn the passing of the HPS. But then, if we look back to the days when HPS was coming mainstream, there were a lot of similar mourning over lower feel in a PS versus their manual counterparts. Then ofcourse there were debates as to what offered more feel, Manual Rack and Pinion or a Manual worm and roller and so on. So presently, this EPS thing is just evolution, which will soon come to have more acceptance, infact it already has.

Infact with EPS we should still have a few more years to enjoy the presence of the device called steering, who knows, in the future, the steering itself might be extinct (let alone feedback!). But that's where it is going, a better world!!
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 20:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Infact with EPS we should still have a few more years to enjoy the presence of the device called steering, who knows, in the future, the steering itself might be extinct (let alone feedback!). But that's where it is going, a better world!!
Lol, agreed. A part of me feels that the first form of assisted steering i.e hydraulic was necessary for the evolution of cars. Initially the purely mechanical steering worked well.. it gave a feeling of complete control and feel of the vehicle and also steering inputs were restricted to strictly when necessary basis due to obvious reasons of weight, the steering wheel itself was made out to have a larger diameter with slimmer rims with heavy rubber grips to ease the effort. This was fine when the engines were in the range of 40-60 hp and when cars themselves were made as wafters to get from one place to another. Power steering with the pump brought about big changes to the landscape, cars could be turned that much more easily thus creating an ability to carry more speed in corners and also to enhance evasive safety manoeuvres when necessary. While such steerings were light, they weren't so light that they resulted in constant overcorrections, they only helped the driver to react better at all situations while having as much connected feel as before.

Nowadays I see certain people operate EPS and I can't help but to laugh, its overcorrections galore - even for small turns or lane change adjustments they make a whopping 270-360 degree turns & then the same story when bringing it back to straight. This is mainly because the steerings do not give any road feedback and since they themselves are strangers to that aspect of driving they treat the wheel like its a videogame. Of course my experience with pure mechanical steerings is limited to the 800 & Santro that I learnt in, nevertheless I'm glad I got to experience them. As you said the day isn't far off when the steering will be replaced by a touchscreen where we have to draw our inputs like using an iPad.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 22:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Nowadays I see certain people operate EPS and I can't help but to laugh, its overcorrections galore - even for small turns or lane change adjustments they make a whopping 270-360 degree turns & then the same story when bringing it back to straight. This is mainly because the steerings do not give any road feedback and since they themselves are strangers to that aspect of driving they treat the wheel like its a videogame.
If possible, get a drive on the present generation Fiesta and its EPS, you will come out impressed. I also have reasons to believe, Fiat's EPS is quite good (by EPS standards).

Oh! Your statement about older cars with manual steering being fine because of restricted power outputs, please refer to sports cars (or fast cars for that matter) from the past. Infact the additional load a HPS would put on the engine, would make it a little undersirable at that time. Not to speak of various additional aspects of fluid leakage, pump seizure and similar pangs they brought in. Yes, newer HPS systems were far more reliable. Infact EPS, they say, is not only good for the manufacturer, but the consumer tends to benefit from it as well in terms of long term benefits. Anyway, we are digressing from the topic of this thread!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 21:39   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 Fiat Punto rendered,inspired by the new Tipo, and keeping the new global brand design pattern.

Fiat begins testing the next-generation Punto. EDIT: Named Argo-fiatpunto2017projecao620x413.jpg

http://carplace.uol.com.br/novo-fiat...ado-pelo-tipo/
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 21:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2017 Fiat Punto rendered,inspired by the new Tipo, and keeping the new global brand design pattern.

Attachment 1453818

http://carplace.uol.com.br/novo-fiat...ado-pelo-tipo/

The camouflaged car has Christmas Tree tail lamps and thus renders the rendering inaccurate.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 10:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Just came across this on Rushlane, and was about to post it here, but you beat me to it mate.

I think this looks awesome, and looks-wise is a true successor to the current car! Fiat needs to ensure that they don't lose out on the strong dynamics of the current Punto, while improving on all the issues that turn people away from buying the car. The handling and suspension of the current car is truly in a league of its own, and IMO can't be compared to any other hatchback being sold in the market today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The camouflaged car has Christmas Tree tail lamps and thus renders the rendering inaccurate.
Please do remember that this is a test mule, and they must have used parts from their existing cars' parts bin to put this together, so I would not call the rendering inaccurate sir. Only time will tell
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 08:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

New Punto spied again - mules still being tested in Palio frame.

Quote:
The new generation of premium compact will be released in Brazil between the end of 2016/2017. The development and production of the model was approved in April 2015 by the highest levels of FCA Group. The VP (check case) of the new Punto which is a step before production of pre-series models is scheduled for June 2016.
Name:  p1.PNG
Views: 4981
Size:  535.3 KB
Name:  p2.PNG
Views: 4882
Size:  436.5 KB
Name:  p3.PNG
Views: 4849
Size:  379.8 KB
Name:  p4.PNG
Views: 4901
Size:  527.0 KB

http://www.autossegredos.com.br/2016...do-fiat-punto/
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 09:05   #15
BHPian

Fiat, give me a Turbo Petrol with descent FE and a Dual Clutch Tx. I will pass on the GT TSI will then pass on to my wifey
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks