Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 01:40   #106
BHPian

re: Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!

Seriously, I say screw that bloody radio jockey and that has-been TV actor & all the other blokes.

I would watch this JUST for Chris Harris & Sabine Schmitz. They can get rid of all the other muppets for all I care.
When it comes to passion for cars, and a way with words, Chris Harris is the new Jezza, only much more refined.
And Sabine is one heck of driver. So if I were to trust anyone to come up with a good review, or some A-level heroics, it would be these two.

Whether it's some billionaire fancy-boy white Ferrari owning RJ or some crappy 80 year old former F1 team boss or some young thumbsucker from YouTube or the fastest celebrity around the Top Gear test track, I don't want to see or hear anything about cars from any of them. Just gimme harris monkey & the queen of the ring. That's all I care about now, since the original trio is already making a show that looks like is going to be just as fun. This new-old top gear is just gonna be a re-hash of the old concepts, which frankly I'm not interested in anymore.
sourav9385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 19:01   #107
BHPian

New Top Gear premiers on 29th May 2016.
SOURCE

Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!-img_20160511_185519.jpg

Well speculations will be laid to rest on 29th May, no use comparing it to old Top Gear just have to check if it's good and "factual" as a car show.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 19:56   #108
BHPian

Eventhough Rory Reid is part of the new TG crew, his Youtube channel reviews are still being churned out. New one being on 650S.

Old 20th May 2016, 07:09   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

The New Top Gear Test Track Might Have A Rallycross Segment

Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!-screenshot_1.jpg

Courtesy - carscoop
Old 21st May 2016, 07:06   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Evans And LeBlanc Go Car Shopping In New Top Gear Trailer

There will be a change in format on the show that will kick off on May 29 and one of the novelties will be replacing the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment with "Star in a Rallycross Car", featuring a new set of wheels and a different track, having celebrities race around a rallycross zone, a water splash area and a jump, as RadioTimes reports.

The details of the first episode are out (which car will be reviewed, challenges, guests). Not disclosing it as many had previously asked not to put up spoilers

Source - Youtube/carscoop

Last edited by naveen.raju : 21st May 2016 at 07:13.
Old 21st May 2016, 10:21   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

As said before, we will have to see. Still, you would think they would come up with complete new things rather then to update/modify the old TG stuff.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:44   #112
BHPian

The new TG will be aired on AXN on Saturday at 9 PM (starting from June 4th).
Old 24th May 2016, 01:29   #113
BHPian

"The new series of Top Gear is here on May 29th. And with it comes a new spin-off show, Extra Gear, which will bring lots of behind-the scenes content to your screen for the first time. Your first glimpse of it is in the video above.

Filmed each week at the Top Gear studio immediately after the main show, and presented by TGTV’s Rory Reid and Chris Harris, Extra Gear will bring you half an hour of exclusive new footage, interviews, and specially recorded films.

Extra Gear will be broadcast on BBC Three - via the live page or BBC iPlayer - right after Top Gear has aired on BBC Two."

Old 30th May 2016, 02:34   #114
BHPian

Top Gear restarted today, I definitely missed the trio, but that was expected. Even when I tried to clear the past from my mind and look at it fresh, it just didn't cut it.
Chris Evans was over the top, lacked the "sophistication" that Jeremy had. On the other hand Matt Blanc sounded passionate and honest. I am sure he won more fans than Chris did in the first show.
Of course Andy Wilman was missed terribly. The challenges that he and his team used to lay out were way more superior to the ones by the new team.

In my opinion they should have tried something new, something that would not remind us of the old Top Gear. Sure they did try hard by creating a star in a rally cross car and avoiding "on that bomb shell". Being cheeky and liberal with rules of a challenge makes the show interesting, but completely going against the rule is considered cheating and you have to be extremely amazing to pull if off.

Overall a very poor restart to a show which had won millions of fans over the years.
rejoycjohn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 09:05   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Chris Evans was over the top,

In my opinion they should have tried something new, something that would not remind us of the old Top Gear.
I agree, I watched the show last night. Well only partly as I kept falling asleep.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 11:04   #116
BHPian

There's only one Jeremy would've used to describe this reboot!

Name:  rubbish.gif
Views: 8091
Size:  481.2 KB

So here's my take on this new show:

1. Chris Evans doesn't work as a Top Gear host. Just. Does. Not. He shouts way too much, and seems to be trying too hard to impress. And, he isn't even on nodding terms as witty or funny as Jezza.

2. Matt Le Blanc is OK. But just about OK. There's nothing special about him. I can't even consider him as a replacement for Hamster or Slow. Both of them were unique in their own special way, and Joey just isn't. He isn't bad, per se. Just not that special.

3. SIARPC has been updated, but not to my taste. Two guests in one episode don't work at all, IMO. Plus, Jezza had this uncanny ability to make even the most boring of celebrities appear interesting. CE doesn't have that ability, by a long shot.

4. No Harris Monkey in the live show. Instead, him & that other bloke from YouTube will be appearing on some crappy stuff called Extra Gear. Pointless again, IMO.

5. Queen of the ring, a.k.a Sabine Schmitz is good to watch, but again, nothing special.

6. Honestly couldn't care less about anything else about this show. The two people I was most interested in watching, aren't getting as much limelight as I would've wanted.

That's it from me. Feel free to agree to disagree
sourav9385 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 12:10   #117
Team-BHP Support

They started so low by making fun of Indian's - catering and weight. Wonder why did those guys agreed to become part of something like this. I don't have any experience with British apart from BA which I avoid by all means but it does look that they still can't get out of old mentality. Chris can be described best as a Monkey - he make's so weird moves

Their TopGun part was scripted good & so was the performance of Sabine but they lacked punches. BBC must have spent a large money / used Government clout to get access to such facility and then making fun of their instructors
Old 30th May 2016, 15:42   #118
BHPian

So I watched the latest Top gear episode. I feel that Chris Evans is kinda like a joker. All over the place. He is trying too much to replace Jeremy Clarkson. But Matt Le Blanc seemed much better. And his version of introducing The Stig seemed quite prim and proper. But overall it just seemed like new people trying too hard to emulate the previous presenters.
Old 30th May 2016, 16:51   #119
BHPian

I didn't particularly like the show. Matt LeBlanc was in my opinion far better than Chris Evans, who seemed to only be shouting. Also the whole Viper vs Vette film was so badly scripted. A few more details/opinions on the cars themselves would have definitely helped.

Do check out Top Gear Extra Gear which is the web only series. That is what the new top gear should have been. It definitely is rough around the edges but overall the chemistry between the two hosts, and the content is so much better. Plus who doesn't love Chris Harris
Old 30th May 2016, 17:12   #120
Senior - BHPian

Oh good lord just finished watching the first episode. I frankly could not wait for it to end. Its not even a shadow of the original topgear. What a waste of time and money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks