Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2016, 21:03   #181
BHPian

re: Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!

Watched three episodes of the new season but the new presenters just cannot cut it. The show as a stand alone is good no doubt, but there is something missing. I miss old Top Gear!
Old 20th June 2016, 21:55   #182
BHPian

I was slowly liking the new Top Gear with the new hosts and adjusting with it.

But then I saw the old Top Gear on Netflix! Damn!

S13E01- The one I had never seen as I had started watching TG from Season 17 only and some previous Specials.

And boy, was I not a happy man after seeing the 3 blokes doing what they do the best.

A friendly word of advice, If you want to make peace with the new show and the new guys then please refrain yourself from watching the old TG.
More so, as it is available on Netflix. Season 13 onwards.
Netflix as most of you know is right now free for one month.
So Beware
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 22:34   #183
BHPian

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016..._id=sf29686696

No, please! Not Matt! :(
Old 27th June 2016, 17:33   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Chris Evans is painful to watch. Matt & Harris will be a great combo
Old 27th June 2016, 18:43   #185
Senior - BHPian

I've watched all 5 episodes of Top Gear season 23 and the show isn't half as bad as what people speak of it. It's actually quite entertaining (minus the long guest interview part). Having said that, it's impossible for the new crew to fill in the shoes of JC, May and Hammond, and comparisons are inevitable, which is the reason why most are disappointed.

I read the news about Matt planning to quit. That will be a pity cause he is one of the better hosts on TG at the moment. Chris Evans is too loud and jumpy despite him softening a little since the first episode; Chris Harris is ok for the most part but seems to be trying a little too hard at times (ref: BMW M2 video); I quite like Rory Reed though; Sabine - nothing against her but as a presenter - Noways!

Last edited by S2!!! : 27th June 2016 at 18:44.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 10:33   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I Sabine - nothing against her but as a presenter - Noways!
I would treat her as a technical expert
Old 28th June 2016, 12:12   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would treat her as a technical expert
But who said that a technical expert can't be a good presenter as well? As an example look at Randy Pobst from MotorTrend / Racing Line or even Vicky Butler Henderson from Fifth Gear.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 13:48   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But who said that a technical expert can't be a good presenter as well? As an example look at Randy Pobst from MotorTrend / Racing Line or even Vicky Butler Henderson from Fifth Gear.
Well, too be fair, Sabine became an accidental presenter after whooping Jeremy Clarkson at the Nurburgring in a van. She may not be articulate but she has a great sense of humour. I love her german accent!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:12   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I watched an interview with Vicky Butler a few days ago. She used to be a TG presenter as well of course. Although she was very carefull and diplomatic in her wording, she also mentioned that she was very surprised to see that they had not changed the format. In her opinion the format is to reminiscent of the three old hosts and they should have changed not just the host but the format as well. Something I agree to.

I have stopped watching the new TG, cant be bothered anymore.

BR Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 14:50   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I watched an interview with Vicky Butler a few days ago. She used to be a TG presenter as well of course. Although she was very carefull and diplomatic in her wording, she also mentioned that she was very surprised to see that they had not changed the format. In her opinion the format is to reminiscent of the three old hosts and they should have changed not just the host but the format as well. Something I agree to.

I have stopped watching the new TG, cant be bothered anymore.

BR Jeroen
Its a tough one, if they don't retain bits of the old show then for all practical purposes its any other car show. I still watch it for the production value, the trips and the stunts, which, apart from the previous three presenters, made TG what it was. So I'm glad that they haven't tinkered with the formula too much. Also LeBlanc has an easy air to him and fits in quite well.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 19:26   #191
Senior - BHPian

The post production is still pretty awesome to watch. Glad they retained those top editors with this new team.

Chris Evans is just too 'hopped up' to my liking, quote annoying really!

Some of the reactions are just too similar to the old show. For example: Chris Harris tries out the new Ferrari Tdf and his initial scream in the opening shot is just too reminiscent of Hammond's reaction when he drives a fast car. Have to say though, Harris is a tremendously talented driver. Eddie Jordan is a total no-no.

The celebrity interview bits are weird when one guest has to talk about whats happening in the other guests life at the moment.

Last edited by Fullrevs : 28th June 2016 at 19:27. Reason: Grammar correction!
Old 30th June 2016, 17:27   #192
BHPian

Nothing against the guy, but he's clearly not taken well by social media worldwide.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Evans replaces Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear. EDIT: Evans steps down!-screenshot_20160630172349_com.miui.gallery_1467287658953.jpg  

Old 30th June 2016, 18:40   #193
BHPian

It seems all is not well on TG already. Speculation is rife that CE and MLB are heading for a major fallout and also that MLB may pull out of Top Gear.

More details in these link :

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3984460

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/27/m...quit-top-gear/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...the-last-straw

Among other 'good' news, a bit OT though...

JC has just tweeted the logo of his new show, The Grand Tour..

Details :

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2016/6/...y-clarkson-ass

Last edited by TheStranger : 30th June 2016 at 18:44.
Old 30th June 2016, 19:12   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Matt, Rory and Chris on tg. That's it. How cool would that be? When Matt was pulling Rory's leg when he was gung ho about the focus, or the Tesla, it was a tiny bit reminiscent of jc and hamster, wasn't it?
Old 3rd July 2016, 23:24   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

I've never liked the old Top Gear, and the only reason I can give for that is that its just my personal opinion.. so I never even bothered until I casually landed up on AXN yesterday, having nothing else to watch I stayed with it - it was Top Gear episode with the new host (whom I found quite annoying) and Matt LeBlanc (yes this was the first time I've seen him doing Top Gear or anything car related).

I still had my doubts on this unusual casting but I stuck on.. while I found Chris Evans to be consistently annoying and shrieky, Matt LeBlanc was a breath of fresh air. I never realised that he could click as a host.. his voice, his way of describing the ride and the American accent, (which I understand far easier than any British accent) it was all great and the sceneries and filming as usual was fantastic as the show has a big budget.

I know I'm expecting the wrong thing from a show like Top Gear but that's how I hoped Top Gear would be since always.. he described exactly how the Rolls-Royce Dawn feels to drive - like a yacht with a super numb steering yet so insulated and quiet, he showed how it is to reverse-parallel park the Dawn which is a total nightmare and his descriptions were spot-on and yet easy to understand. It was a good watch for about 15 minutes except where the main host Chris himself would come in from the studio to screech and squawk.

I just want a clean yet entertaining, fact-based show about various cars and I think this episode got as close as possible to that end. Matt was more entertaining in this than all the Friends episodes combined.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks