Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 19:01   #16
BHPian

re: Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan

With oil prices expected to remain low for a while, 2015 is going to be THE year of the SUV.

You will see SUV's crawling out from under every manufacturer's rock. Pun intended.

Though I don't see how RR making an SUV is out of it's heritage. Did they not make luxury versions of whatever type of vehicle was in vogue during the years? I'm guessing.

It's when marquees like Maserati, Lamborghini and Ferrari jump on the SU wagon that you know things have really gone too far

Surprised they haven't already seeing the monetary windfall Porsche has made.

Cheers
Old 9th March 2016, 16:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted again, this time in Sweden;

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-rollsroycesuvspiedinswedenitsshorterthanaphantom_8.jpg

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-rollsroycesuvspiedinswedenitsshorterthanaphantom_10.jpg

Image Source
Old 13th March 2016, 18:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Porsche, Bentley, Jaguar and now Rolls Royce! Why do they all have to sell cars in every segment there is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Why are they making an SUV ? any reason ?
First things first, let's stop calling it an SUV, please! Rolls-Royce never claimed it was making an SUV. Bentley did call the Bentayga an SUV and so did Porsche with the Cayenne and so is Lamborghini with its upcoming Urus, but Rolls never has. What this is going to be is a "high-bodied vehicle that can cross any terrain" and be "effortless everywhere". Like Rolls' of the Kings and Maharajas of centuries gone by.
Fellow bhp-ian gthang gets it, sort of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Though I don't see how RR making an SUV is out of it's heritage. Did they not make luxury versions of whatever type of vehicle was in vogue during the years? I'm guessing.

And these words from the company themselves puts it better than I ever can.
"In parts of the world including Australia, India and the Americas, Rolls-Royces carried their owners over challenging terrain with absolute reliability and comfort. History sets our precedent and our future calls us to action."
Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457871752.963411.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
It's when marquees like Maserati, Lamborghini and Ferrari jump on the SU wagon that you know things have really gone too far
I absolutely hated Porsche when they announced the Cayenne and Panamera even, partly because of the fact that they looked hideous, but mostly for selling-out. But then Porsche only did it for the money, besides setting new performance and handling bencmarks in the segments entered. And it is this money that has helped them make the 918 Spyder, Cayman GT4, 911 GT3 and RS and the newest/purest of them all, the 911 R. It has also helped them go racing (and winning) at LeMans. So I don't hate Porsche anymore. Same goes for Maserati and their Levante. And Aston Martin and their upcoming DBX "crossover". They need the money so that they can keep making sport/super cars.
But Lamborghini going this way was a little shocking. They do real good for themselves and I thought the poseurs were keeping their cash registers ringing no matter how overly priced some of their specials are (read Veneno/Centenario).
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
As much as I hate Ferrari, one of the things I respect them for is their unwavering ability to stay true to their origins and culture of making fine two doored automobiles. A bit of a Rolls Royce admirer died in me when i heard the news of this car. I respect people who value culture/pedigree/origins/roots whatever you really want to call it.
So by making the 'Cullinan', Rolls-Royce is infact valuing their culture/pedigree/origins/roots now more than ever. It is like Ferrari making front-mid engined V12 GT berlinettas.
And with that I rest my case.

Last edited by shyn : 13th March 2016 at 18:12.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:42   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Update;

The man in charge of design at BMW talked a little bit about Rolls-Royce’s SUV which he described as being “a truly special car.” He went on to specify fans of the prestigious marque shouldn't be worried because the high-riding RR won’t look like a “monster truck”
Will go on sale by 2018 end

Source
Old 1st December 2016, 22:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Spied in production body;

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-projectcullinan_1.jpg

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-projectcullinan_2.jpg

The Rolls SUV will be called "Cullinan"

Image Source
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 17:18   #21
BHPian

Re: Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan

While the entire car design industry is going crazy with line and curves. This car manufacture continues to go bold with box and straight lines. I am surprised SUV fever has not spared even RR!
Old 2nd December 2016, 18:20   #22
BHPian

I think it's a good idea. Who buys a Rolls? Extremely rich people. For them, an SUV works. High ground clearance, that feeling of being above all. There's a reason why almost all celebrities drive around town in SUVs.

And as long as they make their core products (Sedans), how exactly does it matter to anyone? No one is forcing you to buy it!

Companies need to sustain themselves. This is not Suzuki/Honda making mass products.

Expansion, innovation and diversity is the only way to stay strong in the game. And most importantly, customer feedback. I'm sure most RR customers want to upgrade to an SUV but can't.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 13:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest Spy Pics;

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-imageuploadedbyteambhp1481443472.738569.jpg

Image Source: Motor1
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Hits the 'ring;

With a good amount of body roll;

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-rollsroycecullinanshowsheavybodyrollinnurburgringelephantspyshots_1.jpg

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-rollsroycecullinanshowsheavybodyrollinnurburgringelephantspyshots_2.jpg

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-rollsroycecullinanshowsheavybodyrollinnurburgringelephantspyshots_6.jpg

Image Source
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 19:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors Spied for the 1st time;

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-rollsroycecullinan00.jpg

Source
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 04:24   #26
BHPian

Rolls-Royce Teases New Cullinan SUV As The Ultimate Tailgater

Rolls Royce starts testing AWD system for its upcoming SUV, the Cullinan-cullinan.jpg
The “Cullinan Viewing Suite” deploys from the rear of Rolls-Royce's new SUV at the touch of a button.

Quote:
We’ve never thought of a Rolls-Royce as much of a tailgating vehicle – after all, the aristocracy always got out of the car and picnicked on Downton Abbey – but there are probably a few polo tournaments or cricket matches somewhere in the world where spectators sit on folding chairs and politely munch watercress sandwiches that had been packed in a Phantom or Ghost’s trunk.

Apparently, Rolls-Royce’s forthcoming first “high-bodied vehicle” (i.e. an SUV) – officially named Cullinan, after the largest rough diamond ever mined – is ready to cater to upscale families via a bespoke feature it’s calling “the best seat in the house.” A teaser image released in advance of its official unveiling later this year previews what’s being called the “Cullinan Viewing Suite.”

No mere flip-and-fold third-row bench, instead a pair of rear-facing, contemporary-styled, leather-clad seats and a cocktail table deploy effortlessly from the vehicle’s cargo hold at the push of a button. As the release aptly describes it, “It is from this luxuriously comfortable viewing platform that a Cullinan owner may take in the world’s most breath-taking vistas or view a sports event or even watch their children take part in their school sports day.”

Now that’s tailgating.

For its part, the Bentayga SUV from Rolls’ archrival Bentley offers its active owners “the ultimate angling accessory,” in the form of the bespoke “Fly Fishing by Mulliner” set. It consists of a burr walnut-veneered master tackle station, with saddle leather fishing rod and net storage, a linen leather-lined refreshment case, and an electronic dehumidifier on board to prevent the cargo area from becoming musty.

While no prices have yet been announced, we’d have to assume adding the custom-built Viewing Suite would bump up the Cullinan’s expected stratospheric sticker price ($300,000?) by at least the cost of a small car, so don’t expect to see one lined up at your kids’ neighborhood Little League games any time soon.
Source

Cheers
Old 21st April 2018, 00:13   #27
Team-BHP Support

Some video teasers that Rolls Royce seem to have produced in association with National Geographic -

(PS - Skip to 2:00 for some dune bashing scenes. Of a Rolls Royce!)

Edit -

Website is up as well, but only with the teasers as expected -

https://www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com.../cullinan.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st April 2018 at 00:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 21:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Episode 9 and 10 of the series, featuring the upcoming Rolls Royce Cullinan -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2018, 13:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Episodes 11 and 12-

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 08:33   #30
Team-BHP Support

Episodes 13, 14 and 15 of the NGC series featuring the upcoming Rolls Royce Cullinan -

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks