Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 16:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed

Mitsubishi has directed its focus to the SUV market. In India, the Japanese automaker discontinued several models before boiling its range down to just the Pajero Sport. One of the models discontinued was the Outlander. Rumours of the SUV making a comeback in India have been on circling the web for a while now, but while Mitsubishi Motors India hasn’t officially confirmed the return of the Outlander, the new model has been revealed for global markets.

The front end features sleek headlamps that connect to the two slat front grille. Chrome embellishments emanate from the outer corners of the headlamps and move their way down to the front bumper. To the sides, the car gets 18-inch alloy wheels and the wheel arches and skirting feature black cladding, while the roof gets silver rails. At the back, the tail gate features a downward facing “C” chrome strip, multi-layered LED tail lamps, black cladding on the rear bumper, a silver skid plate and a brake stop light mounted on the integrated spoiler.

Mitsibishi claims the SUV gets design and engineering improvements, including increased body and suspension structural rigidity, a reworked suspension and an updated electric power steering system. NVH levels have been improved as well. The Japanese automaker has not stated the engine options that will be available, but the brand says the new CVT transmission offers improved acceleration, performance, shift feel and torque delivery.

As per media reports, markets like the U.S.A will get stick to the 2.4L, 4-cylinder petrol and a 3.0L, V6 petrol engines. The current Outlander also gets the option of a 2.2L, 4-cylinder diesel engine that makes 147 BHP @ 3,500 rpm and 380 Nm of torque from 1,750-2,500 in select markets. It is this motor that is expected to make its way to diesel intensive markets like India. While speculative reports continue to pour in, Mitsubishi Motors is yet to officially confirm the launch of the Outlander in India.

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander1.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander2.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander3.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander4.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander5.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander6.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander7.jpg

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-outlander8.jpg
Tushar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 21:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...er-leaked.html

Here are some more images in other colors.

I think any news of a Mitsubishi making it to India must be treated as mere rumor ! HM is slow and indecisive, they have ruined the brand potential of Mitsubishi in India after a Stellar start !! They entered the market before any of the others and had a super hit start with the lancer.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 09:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Who designed that third row head rest? It looks well designed for giraffes!
zenren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 09:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Why does it have such weirdly long headrests? That seem to increase in size from the front to the rear seats?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 09:28   #5
BHPian

I dont know what to say . Speechless . This has to be in the weird and wacky thread . They just ran out of ideas and drew lines at random and finalized the design .

The front looks anything but nice .

It looks like a station wagon on high heels . And to top it all , this color looks absolutely horrible .
Old 7th April 2015, 10:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Before everyone starts to make fun of the xtra long head rests in the 3rd row, think about the passenger safety and protection against whiplash injuries.

The 3rd row, as we all know in any of these crossovers, has very poor ergonomics, which lead to an upright seating positon. Without such long head rests, any frontal impact will throw the 3rd row passengers back, leading to potentially fatal neck injuries.

I dont find anything whacky in these head rests.

The rest of the design could do with lesser chrome, to appeal to me.
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 10:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Similar sort of large headrests for the third row are seen on the Pajero also, which is the Montero in India.

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-mitsubishishogunsg3review3997.jpg

Pic source : http://carproductstested.com/cars/mi...di-dc-sg3-lwb/
benbsb29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 14:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Before everyone starts to make fun of the xtra long head rests in the 3rd row, think about the passenger safety and protection against whiplash injuries.

The 3rd row, as we all know in any of these crossovers, has very poor ergonomics, which lead to an upright seating positon. Without such long head rests, any frontal impact will throw the 3rd row passengers back, leading to potentially fatal neck injuries.

I dont find anything whacky in these head rests.

The rest of the design could do with lesser chrome, to appeal to me.
I can understand the long headrests to protect against whiplash injury if they were fixed headrests. However, these headrests are height-adjustable, which means that the passengers can adjust the height to ensure that it would be aligned properly with their seating posture even with something half the size!

If they think that the head can be as high as the top point of that headrest, they are giving ZERO shoulder support for such users. Even if the passenger's head reaches up to the middle of those headrest, his shoulder would be well above the seat back.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I can understand the long headrests to protect against whiplash injury if they were fixed headrests. However, these headrests are height-adjustable, which means that the passengers can adjust the height to ensure that it would be aligned properly with their seating posture even with something half the size!

If they think that the head can be as high as the top point of that headrest, they are giving ZERO shoulder support for such users. Even if the passenger's head reaches up to the middle of those headrest, his shoulder would be well above the seat back.
I doubt the outlander headrests in the 3rd row are height adjustable. they will flip down to allow folding the seat.

Shoulders should be at the seat top level to my knowledge.
Old 7th April 2015, 18:57   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

What a let-down! The Outlander is one of the sweeter looking SUVs out there but the lack of a diesel engine makes it an undesirable in India right now. I was so looking forward to Mistubishi ending its suicidal relationship with HM and venturing it on their own, as well. But if this is the kind of unaesthetic offering they plan to mate with the anticipated diesel engine, then good luck to them!

The "wacky" third row headrest design may be out of safety considerations, as pointed out by @smsrini but possibly its to afford the driver a better IRVM view as well? I face this problem in my Vento where the rear view is severaly restrcited due to poor design of the rear windscreen and the seats.
Old 8th April 2015, 17:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

What the hell is that?! What a mess they have made of what is now a pretty good looking SUV. For a company that's struggling for survival, I thought they will come out with a desirable vehicle that will make people WANT to buy it. Seems like Mitsubishi is on a suicide mission. Sad.
Old 27th June 2016, 21:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi releases a teaser to the successor of Outlander.

All new Mitsubishi Outlander revealed-mitsubishigtconcept774x515.jpg

Mitsubishi announced on Monday (27) the first image of the Ground Tourer Concept SUV, a new concept that will debut in the second half at the Paris Salon.

Quote:
Without many details disclosed, the Ground concept Tourer is part of Mitsubishi SUVs and offensive comes after the XR PHEV Concept II and the eX-electric SUV. Anticipates a medium production SUV with a plug-in hybrid force to replace the current Outlander.
http://carplace.uol.com.br/mitsubish...-do-outlander/
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks