Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 05:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled

The twin-turbocharged engine growled into the arena, when Acura revealed the NSX red beauty at the 2015 North American International Auto Show today.

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-nsx_exterior_5.jpg

The company is said to begin accepting custom orders for the new NSX starting in the summer, with customer deliveries expected later in the year.

The short summary;
  • A twin-turbocharged 75-degree DOHC V6 engine
  • 9-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT)
  • three-electric motor Sport Hybrid system
  • ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with world's-first material applications and manufacturing processes.
  • Interwoven Dynamic Exterior Design
  • Human Support Cockpit
  • Sport Hybrid Power Unit
  • Advanced Multi-Material Body
  • Advanced Sport Package
This statement by Mike Accavitti, senior vice president and general manager of the Acura division, sums up the excitement we all look forward in an NSX;
Quote:
"The soul of a car is the emotional connection it makes with the driver. With the NSX, that connection will be intense and immediate."
Please go over this video for the entire details; (10:10 for the entry)
http://www.youtube.com/user/Acura
sarathlal is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 09:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled

Thanks Sarathlal.

Oh I really am looking forward to this car! The Acura badge I presume to add a premium image to it? Possibly to avoid a 'Nissan' GTR scenario?. I hope it still will be sensibly priced.

Here are some more pictures:

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-1.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-2.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-3.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-4.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-5.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-6.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-7.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-8.jpg

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-9.jpg
Maky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 10:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

The legendary Honda NSX has officially been revived at the 2015 Detroit motor show in its production form. Showcased as a concept at several global motor shows including the 2014 Delhi auto expo, the car has been badged as the Acura NSX.

Debuting 25 years after the original NSX, the new car is powered by a twin-turbocharged 75-degree DOHC V6 engine with a 9-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) merged with a three-electric motor sport hybrid system. Two of the electric motors sit up front, with the third one mounted between the engine and gearbox at the back. Unfortunately, complete specifications are yet to be revealed.

Link to Team-BHP news article

Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled-15naias_nsx_08.jpg

Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 10:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

The specifications and tech is amazing. I just wish it looked better. Japanese must admit they are not good at supercar design.
Old 13th January 2015, 11:27   #5
BHPian

Interesting fact : The first NSX is going to comedian/actor, avid car collector and enthusiast, Jerry Seinfeld. He also helped around in the development process presumably.
shoaib3030 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 13:15   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rebirth of an Icon: Next generation Acura / Honda NSX unveiled

Love the tech & specs, hate the front design. Look at it from the front 3-quarter and you'd think it was styled by the XUV500 designers . In comparison, the side & rear are tighter / better. Good timing too, Honda re-enters F1 this year with McLaren.

Somehow, Japanese supercars lack character. Leave aside the Italians, even the recently unveiled American icon is so much more appealing - link.

When the original NSX was launched, it's USP was everyday usability. No longer a USP, this new NSX has cars like the Nissan GT-R & Audi R8 to fight with. Or the Porsche Cayman which is also cheaper (NSX is going to be well over $100,000).

Personally, I think the Japanese should recreate the magic of affordable sporty cars like the Toyota MR2 or Honda S2000...maybe a segment higher like the magical Toyota Supra & Mitsubishi 3000GT. These 6-figure exotics aren't going anywhere. In a different segment (i.e. luxury sedans), VW experienced similar headaches with the Phaeton.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 03:31   #7
BHPian

Wow, finally it's here. Took 4 years after Acura announced its intention to make this car. But with a 6 figure price tag - sales will be small. At that price range, people are looking for a brand with more cachet and Acura doesn't cut it there. But , will be interesting to see where Acura goes from here. It has been struggling in the US market for quite some time.
deltheking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 07:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

V6 hybrid? So we can assume that's straight from Honda' new F1 team.

Apart from that busy front end where they have tried to use the new Honda design language, the NSX looks good.

Japanese super cars can have truckload of attitude. Take the Lexus LFA for instance. Its so different and stands on its own among the crowd. And the sound it makes, unlike any other. I love it lots! Sad thing that Lexus lost a lot of money on it, but how the auto world be complete without cars like that?

Now, Honda should take Alonso' help to fine tune this NSX on a track like Senna did. Will help both the cool-wall rating and the capability of the machine. After all, he did drive a lot of brilliant (road going) Ferrari in the recent past. Honda can definitely learn a thing or two.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 09:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

It has a futuristic (well, not anymore - Porsche, Ferrari and Mclaren have similar drivetrains) drivetrain and they will probably be able to offer 9/10ths of the performance of those cars at around 1/8th of the price. In the class of price that the NSX will sell in, it would be probably better performing than all competition. But I do think it may lack character. But then, the same can be said for the GT-R but it puts more expensive cars to shame, which is what the NSX will also do. It's just my prediction. I don't know if the everyday liveability and reliability that the old NSX offered can be claimed by this car. I see the last gen NSX appreciating to astronomical numbers.

Doug DeMuro of Jalopnik has sort of expanded what I felt about the NSX/ Ford GT situation - How the Acura NSX launch was botched.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th January 2015 at 04:55.
Old 15th January 2015, 04:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I too am eagerly waiting for this car to final hit production. I like overall design as its sporty, ofcourse few angles could have been better but overall its a sporty car.

I did feel disappointed initially when I read about a V6 but then again so is GTR & what a phenomenal car it is.

So I hope it matches the hype & is priced sensibly.

Oh btw in some countries(I believe Australia is one such), this will be launched as Honda NSX
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 22:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I did feel disappointed initially when I read about a V6 but then again so is GTR & what a phenomenal car it is.
The final production specs are out for NSX and they are impressive.
3.5 L V6 75 Degrees: 500 HP
Electric motor: 73 HP
0-60< 3 sec

Its in super car territory. The price is speculated to be around 150K. I called couple of dealers in PA and they don't have information yet on pricing or ordering. I hope Acura keeps the pricing similar to GTR.
Old 29th October 2015, 23:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Here's one of the first video reviews:

And Top Gear's first drive impressions:
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/nsx/first-drive
shyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2015, 01:05   #13
BHPian

Got a call from Acura dealer that they received a bunch load of material today for NSX. Seems, every NSX is custom built as per customer needs. Price range is around 140-150K depending on options. I'm not sure if NSX is worth 150K. It would be a tough sell with 911 turbo, R8 V10, AMG GTS in the same price range.
Old 31st October 2015, 19:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Got a call from Acura dealer that they received a bunch load of material today for NSX. Seems, every NSX is custom built as per customer needs. Price range is around 140-150K depending on options. I'm not sure if NSX is worth 150K. It would be a tough sell with 911 turbo, R8 V10, AMG GTS in the same price range.

But the BMW i8 sells for almost 140k too, right? Then I don't see how the NSX should have any problems, specially being more powerful and with all that heritage. People will and should buy it since these are the only two proper hybrid sportscars.
I would pick the NSX over the i8 because the BMW's styling is a little too much for my taste. Plus the NSX is more powerful. But that's just me.
Old 1st November 2015, 23:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
But the BMW i8 sells for almost 140k too, right? Then I don't see how the NSX should have any problems, specially being more powerful and with all that heritage. People will and should buy it since these are the only two proper hybrid sportscars.
I would pick the NSX over the i8 because the BMW's styling is a little too much for my taste. Plus the NSX is more powerful. But that's just me.
i8 never appealed to me for different reasons though, maybe bcos of 350ish ponies/4.2 sec. 340i hits 60 in 4.6 sec! Agreed, both are different cars but then my perspective of a sports car is, 0-60, Exhaust note, daily driver, brand exclusivity. My idea of Japanese making a sports car is affordability and low maintenance. GTR launched at 69K doing 0-60 in 3 sec back in 2009 was a steal especially for the car being so heavy. The only reason GTR is off the list is for its bone rattling drive that doesn't make it a good daily driver but I would love to have it.

I would have pulled trigger on NSX if it were around 110-120K decently loaded. I'm looking at 911 4S, AMG GTS, Cayman GT4, M4..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks