Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 08:32   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed

BMW considers boosting EV production on strong early demand for i3-the first car for BMW's i sub brand. The i8 super car will go on sale in 2014. More i models expected. BMW has trademarked i1 though i9.

Strong bookings of over 8000 of the battery-powered i3 compact models even before the car goes on sale in Europe has BMW considering a production increase for the i3 electric car.

BMW expects to sell more than 10,000 of the i3s next year and "will adjust capacity according to demand.

The i3 will go on sale in Germany on Nov. 16, followed by the U.S., China and Japan in the first half of next year. The i3 will cost 34,950 euros in Germany and $41,350 in the United States.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...#axzz2hiIjbfdW
Old 22nd October 2013, 07:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW Already Working on i5 Model - could be a crossover!

The i3 is focused on 'mega cities' such as London, and even if the i5 has a longer range to allow more out-of-town motoring, it's still likely to be aimed at suburban buyers. That makes some sort of crossover (perhaps something similar to the forthcoming X4 instead of a regular SUV) the most likely choice, since that car could
offer the raised driving position favoured by many town users.

Regardless of how it is powered, the new car will stick to the BMW i brand values - so it will be rear-wheel drive and make extensive use of carbonfibre and CFRP (carbonfibre-reinforced plastic) in its construction.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw-...-works/1216687
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

I was excited when I saw the concept long ago but now somehow I've changed my mind. This final production version I find to be very quirky looking even though they haven't really drifted far from the initial concept.
God awful interior colour combinations as well...
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Me with the i3 last month in Germany

BMW i3 hatch breaks cover: Production version, Prices revealed-img_5091.jpg
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 21:27   #20
Team-BHP Support

BMW I3 review by Autoexpress UK. Looks pretty cool, especially the interiors.
Old 26th November 2013, 07:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW says has orders for nearly 10,000 of its electric i3 cars.

Quote:
Luxury carmaker BMW has orders for nearly 10,000 of its i3 electric cars, the first of which were delivered in Germany last week.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9AJ17920131120
Old 26th November 2013, 16:01   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW to expand i3 electric car lineup probably calling it the i5.

Quote:
The new model would be notably more family friendly, with extra legroom in the rear cabin and a bigger boot.
Creating the i5 is potentially a much cheaper and simpler operation than stretching a conventional steel monocoque car, as the i3 uses a separate chassis. Lengthening it is mostly a matter of extending the chassis’s longitudinal aluminium extrusions.
Quote:
Likewise, because the body is made of carbon fibre-reinforced plastics, extending the pillarless passenger cell is mainly a case of stretching the roof and floor sections. Only the rear door structure would have to be completely re-engineered, although the hinge and clamp systems would be unchanged.
It’s not clear yet whether the i5 would need a more powerful range extender unit because of the car’s greater load-carrying capability. The model is unlikely to appear before mid-2015.
Source:ACI
Old 27th November 2013, 16:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW i3 fails to get five-star safety rating

BMW's radical new city car misses out on top marks in Euro NCAP safety tests.

Quote:
The new BMW city car achieved four stars on its test, with Euro NCAP commenting that in severe side impacts protection of the chest for adult occupants was "weak", and that the front seats and head restraints provided only marginal protection against whiplash in a rear-end collision.

Other cars awarded a four-star safety rating include the Ford EcoSport Nissan Note], andMercedes-Benz Citan Kombi MPV.
Source:Autocar
Old 7th June 2014, 07:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

I stopped by the BMW dealer today to look at some accessories, saw this car. I was very disappointed with the quality of interiors, the plastic looked very cheap and thin. Maybe it is to reduce the weight of the car, not sure. But overall it did not have a "BMW feel" at all, sitting it it. Even the steering wheel was very thin and didn't have thumb grips. Honestly if I were in the market for an electric car for that HOV lane, I can't imagine picking this over a Fiat 500, after seeing it in the flesh.

Oh and the 2 series standing next to it looked delicious .

Last edited by rajushank84 : 7th June 2014 at 07:42.
Old 13th November 2014, 08:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW i3 out of its natural urban environment and pit it against the Suzuki Swift Sport on the track.
The BMW i3 proves just how well engineered it is and that there's real pleasure to be had from driving it.

Verdict:
Quote:

The Suzuki beat the BMW by quite a margin in the end. The two cars couldn't be more different, but they're both enjoyable to drive on a track. The Suzuki Swift Sport is fantastic to drive around a track, but that isn't the whole story.

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th November 2014 at 08:37.
Old 13th November 2014, 10:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

the i3 and i8 have excited the market that was already excited with Tesla.
These batteries don't give the same range after 2 yrs. they deplete to 70% although BMW claim they are at 80%. nevertheless, these are replaced every 2 yrs for a cut-price where BMW keeps these batteries. with increasing sales of these cars, the stackup of batteries will only grow exponentially and storing batteries is not easy nor is it envi-friendly. what do you think is the solution? What do you think BMW would be doing with these?
Old 1st December 2018, 17:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

India TD report of ACI of BMW i3S. I'd request BMW to fit a 1.5 NA petrol with a fast autobox! It looks like an Ignis Clone!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 1st December 2018 at 17:05.
Old 1st December 2018, 22:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
India TD report of ACI of BMW i3S. I'd request BMW to fit a 1.5 NA petrol with a fast autobox! It looks like an Ignis Clone!
There is no way that engine will fit inside a car which was designed from the ground up to be run on electric power. There is space, however for a motorcycle engine which is about 600 cc having 2 cylinders and that variant is called the Range Extender with that engine sitting snug with the electric motor on the rear wheels.

Overall I think it is a horrendous car from a company like BMW, surely they'd have done well to give it some extent of luxurious design and feel.. something to set them apart from the Teslas. A Mini Countryman (with more solidity, power and drivability) is about 10% cheaper.. I'd call that a no-brainer if turbo engines are the need of the day. As far as all-electric goes, there are better options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks