Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2013, 17:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta Facelift Launched in China

I dont think this facelift will make it to india anytime soon. The Fiesta shares the interior dash et all with ecosport and the upcoming Fiesta Hatch. Giving facelift to fiesta will increase cost for Ecosport. So i guess, this will take at least 2 years starting today.
Old 7th April 2013, 00:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
On another note, has anyone seen a car revive in the market after being termed a flop. Has a facelift ever bought a car some renewed lease of life in the Indian market ? I think in India, once a car is tagged as a flop, no one ends up buying one.
With one or 2 exceptions.
Versa was a Flop. And the Eeco is a blockbuster hit. It is the price cut that did work in its favour.

Fiesta does have a future if and only if it had the ability to compete with Verna & Vento/Rapid. Now to do that, it seriously needs to ditch both power-plants. The 1.6L eco boost petrol engine and atleast 50Nm more torque from the diesel. Then there is a need of a base version at a much lower price. Petrol @ 7L and Diesel @ 7.5L. And come on, the rear still looks ugly!
Old 7th April 2013, 07:20   #33
BHPian

Wow The interior looks awesome!! wish Ford brings it to India soon.
Old 7th April 2013, 09:13   #34
BHPian

I think the primary reason for Ford Fiesta failing in India was the the underpowered motors. Both Petrol and Diesel. In this day when DDIS and K9 have covered the 75-90 BHP range they came out with a 90 bhp diesel priced closer to Verna.

If they want to compete with Verna they need to introduce 120 bhp versions of both Petrol and diesel and with 1.6 capacity.

In Petrol I don't think lot of people will buy the 1000 cc eco boost even if it produces 120 bhp. Its the psychological connection of having a decent capacity motor.

Ford talks about focussing on economic engines, that is misleading, we all know a 1.6/120 bhp diesel also gives 20 KMPL on the high way so how is the 1.5/90 bhp diesel better?

If Ford thinks like that they are lying to themselves.
Old 7th April 2013, 09:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
On another note, has anyone seen a car revive in the market after being termed a flop. Has a facelift ever bought a car some renewed lease of life in the Indian market ? I think in India, once a car is tagged as a flop, no one ends up buying one.
Hyundai i20 and Maruti Versa nee Eeco are two examples that come to my mind.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:07   #36
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta Sedan FACELIFT. EDIT : Now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I dont think this facelift will make it to india anytime soon. The Fiesta shares the interior dash et all with ecosport and the upcoming Fiesta Hatch. Giving facelift to fiesta will increase cost for Ecosport. So i guess, this will take at least 2 years starting today.
How it will increase the cost for Ecosport? Being a budget crossover, it can actually continue with the existing Fiesta interiors, and they can try to revive the Fiesta with the face lifted model. The current nos. actually does not justify its presence. The Fiesta with 1.0L Ecoboost is getting some good reviews abroad.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st April 2013 at 17:16.
Old 12th December 2013, 15:41   #37
Team-BHP Support

Ford has announced that it will offer the Fiesta with a 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine mated to a 6-speed, PowerShift automatic transmission in markets around the world.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Ford Fiesta Sedan FACELIFT. EDIT : Now unveiled-powershift.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 12th December 2013 at 16:41.
Aditya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 22:11   #38
Team-BHP Support

This is fantastic news. Imagine the facelifted fiesta in 2014 with 1.0 EcoBoost and 6 speed powershift dual clutch box. The Vento TSI better watch out.

If they add the Powershift to the EcoSport EcoBoost it will be an awesome combination. Mini SUV with direct injection turbo petrol engine offering great performance and a 6 speed dual clutch automatic box. Pure bliss in the city and on the highways with reasonable good FE.

Let's hope we get this combination next year and they detune to 100PS like UK and offer the 125PS tune.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 22:37   #39
BHPian

As per autocar, the facelifted fiesta will retain its current lineup of engines. What a shame if this turns out to be true. An excellent car marred with a sub par petrol engine isn't going to win any new customers even if they price it competitively.

The only other option left is Ecosport + Ecoboost + Powershift transmission. But I'm not too optimistic about that either because of the way ford's dealers indirectly persuading customers in buying a diesel ecosport instead.

I just hope I'm proved wrong by ford.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...14-354402.aspx

Last edited by rohittunga : 12th December 2013 at 22:41.
Old 13th December 2013, 07:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thats a really poor decision by Ford. Has the huge uptake of the 1.0 Ecoboost on the Ecosport not taught them anything.

BTW, Malaysia gets the 1.0 Powershift
Old 13th December 2013, 07:18   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
As per autocar, the facelifted fiesta will retain its current lineup of engines. What a shame if this turns out to be true. An excellent car marred with a sub par petrol engine isn't going to win any new customers even if they price it competitively.

I just hope I'm proved wrong by ford.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...14-354402.aspx
That article in Autocar is from August, and they need not be always right

If they’re launching this combination (Fiesta sedan with 1.0 Ecoboost + Powershift DCT) in markets like Malaysia, I don’t see a reason to avoid India.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 21:33   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Ford has announced that it will offer the Fiesta with a 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine mated to a 6-speed, PowerShift automatic transmission in markets around the world.
Wonderful - the temptation to sell off my EcoSport and move to this will be too much!!

I would look forward to a gearbox with 6 ratios, I think that will better exploit the EcoBoost engine, and allow for more comfortable and economical cruising.
Old 16th December 2013, 14:23   #43
BHPian

This is great news! I was sorely tempted this year to go for the Polo GT TSI, because of the advanced Turbo stratified direct injection engine coupled with a dual clutch automatic gearbox. There was really nothing with that combination in that price range available in the Indian market.
More research revealed the continual issues faced with the DQ200 DSG by people around the world. The worst part was the way VW is addressing this, specially in India. They seem to be recalling cars with the DQ200 DSG problem in countries where there are strong local laws protecting consumers such as Australia and China and even there too after a lot of pushing.
Whereas for countries like ours where consumer protection is non-existent, VW has simply turned a blind eye.
That coupled with the poor VW ASS was a deal breaker. VW is not even offering extended warranty on the Polo GT TSI!!
I plan to retain the car for 10 years and I can't risk being with a shaky gearbox and don't care ASS for that long.

I looked briefly at Ford Fiesta AT, the 6 speed dual clutch auto-transmission with a 10 year guarantee seemed attractive (Ford, unlike VW seems to have taken the right approach of reassuring there customers by providing a 10 year warranty on the AT! - something for VW to learn). However the naturally aspirated, inlet manifold fuel injected (not direct injected with stratified charge) was not groovy enough for me to feel sufficiently thrilled.
Additionally around the time I was looking - November/December 2013 - Fiesta AT were just not available.

The Ford Fiesta 2014 if offered with the EcoBoost 1.0L direct injection turbo charged engine and the six speed dual clutch transmission combination in India would be an unbeatable combination - the best small hi-tech turbo direct injection fuel efficient small petrol engine in the Indian market, combined with a Ford 10 year warranty backed dual clutch auto transmission and ford ASS - which is far superior to anything VW has to offer or any other car manufacturer in this category.
I will be waiting very eagerly for this car to be released in India and test drive it!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed